Livin my Dreams
My System Config:
Pentium D 3.0Ghz
MB: Abit IP35E
2.5GB DDR2 RAM
2x 500GB Hard Drive (No RAID)
1x 1TB Hard Drive
1x 160GB Hard Drive

Ok here is my strange problem. as I have 4 HD and I have my Windows XP installed on one of my 500GB HD which has many partitions. I Installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my other 500GB HD which is completely empty with a 100GB system partition with Win7 in it. Ok now the problem is that while booting only that windows load which is selected as the first boot HD in BIOS. so this I think mean some problem with my MBR. i tried checking the boot file in both windows but couldnt find the other OS listed in it. Please help me on this I want a OS selection menu before booting so that I dont have to messup with the BIOS everytime.
any help appereciated.
Thank you Guys

Use EasyBCD in Win7 to add xp entry in Win7 loader if its DNE . Then fix Win7 hdd from bios as boot priority and use both OS w/o any problems. If the loader is corrupt, we can help you fix it.

OP
kanu2k7

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
ok did it and now I can see the dual boot screen but when I select Windows XP it just restarts the system and again stops at the Dual boot screen. Windows 7 works fine.

here is how I added the entry using EasyBCD. 1st added entry from add/remove entry, 2nd selected the D: (this has my XP) in the change settings for the Windows XP entry.
If this is right then its still not working. Please I need a bit more help.
thanks

OP
kanu2k7

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
nope Windows XP SP3 is installed for more than 2 years now. I installed Windows 7 on my new HD i added few days ago.

hansraj

In the zone
I hope when you are selecting the "Windows XP" option of boot in the easy bcd then you are changing the corresponding drive to C: also. That means, assuming that C: had XP and D had win 7, the boot options displayed in Easy BCD should have the entries as: Win XP corresponding to C: and Win 7 corresponding to D: , save this and then reboot the PC. It should work fine.

I think hansraj is right. I have same problem ,for win7, it is C:\ for win7 and d:\ for XP andin XP its opposite. I always landup in confusion if something goes wrong in loaders :D. But afaik, win7 loader will understand what win7 (installed) knows about the partitions. Use 'detail disk" to see all partitions.

OP
kanu2k7

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
Ohk I am sorry hansraj I didnt understand what you said. I boot up in windows 7 and then run the easyBSD software and let windows 7 entry remain the same I created a Windows XP entry and pointed it to D: because it is the drive which has Windows XP as shown according to the disk management console and My Computer Drive Listing.
when I boot XP after changing the HD boot order I see C: as my XP and R: as Windows 7.

So now my question again is where to run this tool(EasyBCD) XP or Win7. and do what exactly.
thanks

Top Bottom