windows/system32/config/system file missing or corrupt‎

Computard

Right off the assembly line
My mission is my COMPAQ EVO with a P-4 processor and the OS is Windows XP PRO (V-2002) and it had all the current never ending updates and SP patches everything Windows needs to drive you nut's. Anyway the kid's used my comp because they killed theirs and downloaded a new nasty Little bugger that has tested every knowledge I hold as a home grown geek.

I'm broken and ashamed..it's on the tip of my tongue but it's like that Chevy Chase movie where the mailman drives him to insanity I just cant win this one.

I boot with the COMPAQ OS CD i get the recovery console I do the whole " r" process and that's it. It absolutely refuses to except any valid installation numbers especially # 1, it let's me squeak by with a bag of tricks for the Administrator password and then gives me the same ole prompt ( that it doesn't understand it's own commands.... Ive tried every trick in the book even trying to make the repair folder to trick registries backup folder - sam default, security software and System registry and even using the numerical value of the last backup system state I left it in...none of that worked either. I thought for sure the C:\WINNT\repair\RegBack folder maneuver would work but nope. And when I try the safe mode option to try to work with all the variables there boot up etc. It just let's me browse LOL ! and even a soft restore didn't work it will give me the window and the key's will work only to select a prompt but will not let you change anything at all. Here is the crushing part - I have 6 years of a Documentary film that I had to by no choice format to store on Windows so I could view and edit then make the changes later on with a MAC.......The night before the kids killed it I had transferred everything to a file on Desktop ......I knew this going in, but I had to try anyway. I fixed their Computer used my corrupted drive as a slave in hopes to transfer the files from one drive to another. I hope I luck out here because if not it the cost for an expert will probably be as much as the budget for the film.....well maybe not that bad but I will be riding a bus for eternity because I'll never be able to afford a gas pump again.

Blessings - J

rawgeek

Broken In
Did u upgrade from windows 2000?If now then why do u have a winnt folder....

Present system hives are in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config and a backup copy is saved in C:\WINDOWS\repair and not the regback folder.Regback folder does not exsist in legacy OS [xp].Repair folder will also have the hive only if u took a backup using windows ntbackup utility else the hives in that folder will be from the time when u installed the OS.You can try replacing the hives from repair folder to the config folder.Save the present files in config folder with .old extension for example....system.old,sam.old etc.

Not sure if ur repairing the os in the right sequence of steps...please check:
Windows XP Professional Repair Guide

To get ur data back u can boot up using any live disk of Linux....
Download | Ubuntu

Top Bottom