Windows Phone or Android ?

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
So am in the process of buying a new phone under 10k. Am very confused whether i should go for Lumia 520 or Galaxy Young.
Pros of Lumia 520-good screen,fluid and smooth due to dual core cpu,better graphics Cons-restricted ecosystem,lack of emulators(i like to play gameboy and gameboy advance and PS1 games on my phone)and personalization,general hate of M$.
Pros of Young-Jellybean OS,768mb ram,extensive customization and personalization,more choice of apps and games,emulators.
Cons-single core cpu,adreno 200 gpu,less impressive screen.
Considering all this am torn which one should i go for ? Should i go for a phone that offers smooth and fluid experience or a phone that offers lots of freedom and choice ?

Flash

Lost in speed
So am in the process of buying a new phone under 10k. Am very confused whether i should go for Lumia 520 or Galaxy Young.
Pros of Lumia 520-good screen,fluid and smooth due to dual core cpu,better graphics Cons-restricted ecosystem,lack of emulators(i like to play gameboy and gameboy advance and PS1 games on my phone)and personalization,general hate of M$.
Pros of Young-Jellybean OS,768mb ram,extensive customization and personalization,more choice of apps and games,emulators.
Considering all this am torn which one should i go for ? Should i go for a phone that offers smooth and fluid experience or a phone that offers lots of freedom and choice ?
Who said that?
Play GameBoy and GameBoy Color games on Windows Phone 8 with VGBC8 | Windows Phone Central

And on the malware side, WP beats Android.

I'll prefer Android

Some options
Huawei Ascend G510 vs Karbonn Titanium S2 vs XOLO Q700: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

I'll too recommend Xolo Q700......It should work for 1-1.5 years. After that, get a new phone. Nowadays most people change their phones in 1-2 years

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'm neither a fanboy of Android nor a fanboy of WP8.

I'd say, judget the phone itself instead of judging on OS. Those who have higher budget have no problems. But on lower budget, peoples should judge phone instead of locking up mind on OS.

For Eg. As you mentioned on your 1st post, Lumia 520 will be way better than a Android JB on 768 RAM. You'll be frustrated within a week as that Android will lag so much and you'll face so many limitations. Where's on the opposite 520 will be smooth like butter.

So, I'd say on lower budget judge the Hardware too instead of judging only on OS.

I used to have LG Optimus One and it's a great phone LG ever made and if I'm not wrong it was the best Android on 10k bracket. Then I upgraded to Lumia 620 this year.

So I have used both the OS and believe me each of them has their Pros and Cons. Still, Android is much popular and have large base of Users and Apps. But I don't think I miss something on WP8 after using Android for 3 Years.

But I have seen people using LG Cookie or some that type of phone and is too frustrated with the lag, limitation of memory, limitation on games that can be installed etc.

So the Moral is, better judge both the Hardware and OS, instead of being a Fanboy and getting the specific OS with low hardware specification and get frustrated later.

So I have used both the OS and believe me each of them has their Pros and Cons. Still, Android is much popular and have large base of Users and Apps. But I don't think I miss something on WP8 after using Android for 3 Years.

So the Moral is, better judge both the Hardware and OS, instead of being a Fanboy and getting the specific OS with low hardware specification and get frustrated later.

I don't think Q700 will be laggy, 1.2 GHz quad core A7 + 1GB RAM+ Android 4.2.
I've used Canvas 2 on ICS(5 months old). It was not laggy, for an ICS phone. I would say it was smoother than my friend's SE Live with Walkman, Xperia Tipo.

Still Nokia 520 is a great phone, great built quality(spent 5min with it).

OK but how's the battery backup and aftersales service quality of Q700?

Battery backup is ok, no user reported of very weak backup. I mean the phone should go on for a day in moderate usage in single charge.

XOLO has few service centres, just check it in its site. A.S.S can't be compared to that of Nokia & Samsung. If u buy this phone, don't expect it to run for 2 years. After a year, change the phone whenever problem arises.

Last edited:
I don't think Q700 will be laggy, 1.2 GHz quad core A7 + 1GB RAM+ Android 4.2.
I've used Canvas 2 on ICS(5 months old). It was not laggy, for an ICS phone. I would say it was smoother than my friend's SE Live with Walkman, Xperia Tipo.

Still Nokia 520 is a great phone, great built quality(spent 5min with it).

Battery backup is ok, no user reported of very weak backup. I mean the phone should go on for a day in moderate usage in single charge.

XOLO has few service centres, just check it in its site. ASS can't be compared to that of Nokia & Samsung. If u buy this phone, don't expect it to run for 2 years. After a year, change the phone whenever problem arises.
Change it to A.S.S. please.

OP
mohit9206

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
^ Thanks for all your help it turns out that windows phone does indeed support gameboy,gameboy color and gameboy advance emulators !! Now if it can just get a PS1 emulator..well as you said if i expect my phone to run for 2 years its better to avoid Xolo? So what other android phone within 10k can i expect to work for 2 years atleast? i need long lasting and good service first and foremost.

papul1993

not a newbie.....

I'd say, judget the phone itself instead of judging on OS. Those who have higher budget have no problems. But on lower budget, peoples should judge phone instead of locking up mind on OS.

For Eg. As you mentioned on your 1st post, Lumia 520 will be way better than a Android JB on 768 RAM. You'll be frustrated within a week as that Android will lag so much and you'll face so many limitations. Where's on the opposite 520 will be smooth like butter.

So, I'd say on lower budget judge the Hardware too instead of judging only on OS.

I used to have LG Optimus One and it's a great phone LG ever made and if I'm not wrong it was the best Android on 10k bracket. Then I upgraded to Lumia 620 this year.

But I have seen people using LG Cookie or some that type of phone and is too frustrated with the lag, limitation of memory, limitation on games that can be installed etc.

It is not apps that is the reason for my choosing Android over iOS or Windows Phone. It is the openness of android. Can I do the following with other OS'es?
  • Blocks Ads on a system level
  • use a proxy to listen to Pandora
  • things such as emergency mesh network app are only available in Android AFAIK
  • I try a lot of new things related to decentralization and anonymity and so far those apps have only been first developed for Android.

I guess my use case is very unique and weird and does not match with others. But because of and many other reasons I simply cannot switch.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!

Samsung Galaxy Young vs Nokia Lumia 520 - Phone specs comparison

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I don't think Q700 will be laggy, 1.2 GHz quad core A7 + 1GB RAM+ Android 4.2..

In that case it's perfect. Though I don't know about the A.S.S.

It is not apps that is the reason for my choosing Android over iOS or Windows Phone. It is the openness of android. Can I do the following with other OS'es?
  • Blocks Ads on a system level
  • use a proxy to listen to Pandora
  • things such as emergency mesh network app are only available in Android AFAIK
  • I try a lot of new things related to decentralization and anonymity and so far those apps have only been first developed for Android.

I guess my use case is very unique and weird and does not match with others. But because of and many other reasons I simply cannot switch.

Don't get me wrong it was not a personal attack for suggesting Android.

I just said, to check the Hardware too along with the OS.

There's no point in getting a laggy phone.

The points you said, are not possible on WP8. But still I won't get Android which have 600Mhz Proccy with 512MB RAM running ICS / JB.

Hope you get the point.

OP
mohit9206

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
^ But we are not talking about 600mhz proccy and 512mb ram. Young has 1ghz proccy,768mb ram and JB all for 7.5k

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
^ But we are not talking about 600mhz proccy and 512mb ram. Young has 1ghz proccy,768mb ram and JB all for 7.5k

cons- 3.2 mp camera, TFT screen, ~175 ppi, 3.3 inch screen, single core processor, VGA camcorder, low battery life compared to Lumia 520, still wanna go for it??

OP
mohit9206

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
cons- 3.2 mp camera, TFT screen, ~175 ppi, 3.3 inch screen, single core processor, VGA camcorder, low battery life compared to Lumia 520, still wanna go for it??

But what if camera and screen size are not important for me ?

Flash

Lost in speed
This is so true.
@OP: If you're already using Android phone, you can try WP for a change, and you will love it.

Flash

Lost in speed
Somewhat guessed.. :mrgreen:
Try a demo of S.Young and L520 in a local store, select one and then buy Online.

Hmmm.....Samsung Galaxy Young S6312 vs Samsung S6812 - Galaxy Fame vs LG Optimus L5 II E450: Compare Mobiles: Flipkart.com

How's Optimus L5 II ? Its a good one too, good display especially

Top Bottom