Windows market share drops to 15-year low

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandru.in

In the zone
Any product that owns close to 90% of a market that is as gigantic as the global PC market would be considered a huge success. In the case of Microsoft, that is, of course, different. Windows has suffered from a continued market share decline since the 2003/2004 time frame and November 2008 was the first month in a very long time that Microsoft has dropped below 90%, 89.62% to be exact, according to Net Applications.
Source

A very high share still. :(

Also Firefox's share held for a month above 20% during the same time.

Source

Just as noted in the Firefox's story I guess people use alternate OS more for computing at home while Windows continues to be forced down the throat in corporates.

arijit_2404

still find time for games
Well, there people actually use computer for work.

Except few cases, corporate can easily switch to other alternatives, namely Linux or MacOS. But they afraid of changes. They don't feel comfortable switching to alternatives.

I use Linux along with Windows. And except MS-Exchange I didn't find any big deal for my company to switch over to Linux. But they are not doing it because,
1. They are getting windows at a discounted price
2. They afraid of Linux as there's no expert available at workforce & don't wanna invest on that.

you'll find this scenario in many companies in India.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
LOL can anybody calculate difference between 90%, 89.62%. O yeah its a huge drop in market share. Stop trolling you Linux fanboys. Yet another useless thread.Window$ FTW :D

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Well I m using Ubuntu linux on my lappi no windows and I am happy :) [But I cant play some war games like COD etc etc :(]

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
*www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40398/113/Just as noted in the Firefox's story I guess people use alternate OS more for computing at home while Windows continues to be forced down the throat in corporates.

That's coz if people want to experiment with an alternate OS, they'd rather do it at home than mess it all up in their office. And you think an OS can be 'forced down the throat' of corporates? Hardy har har. :D

So you use it for p0rN?

@arijit_2404: Also training cost & time and maintenance & support expenditure is high.
The first part is more. Linux is relatively easy to maintain and support, but the training cost part and time, you hit the bull's eye. It takes atleast 6 months to get the full working force to first unlearn windows and then learn to become comfortable with linux. And the cost associated with this process along with the decrease in productivity in this period easily exceeds the cost-related benifits linux offers.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
^^^^ Wrong !! There was lady who thought linux was hard !
A lady was introduced to Ubuntu ! She learnt it fast ! Then it was revelead to her that it was Linux all the way !
And that lady is FOSS India leaders mom !!

OP
C

chandru.in

In the zone
LOL can anybody calculate difference between 90%, 89.62%. O yeah its a huge drop in market share. Stop trolling you Linux fanboys. Yet another useless thread.Window$ FTW :D
Did you even bother to read the entire article before trolling?

Quote from article:
Windows market share is generally believed to have peaked at 97.5% in the 2002-2003 time frame.
Also didn't I say 89.62% is indeed high and possibly the fall was due to increased home computing than office computing?

JFYI, Fall of IE was not drastic too.

And you think an OS can be 'forced down the throat' of corporates?
First of all, I told in corporates. Which meant corporations force an OS down the throat of employees. It is very much possible and it is happening to me right now.

Ah... Friday 1PM reboots to just stop than damn AV scan which slows down the system more than a virus. How can I forget that?

Last edited:

drsubhadip

In the zone
So you use it for p0rN?

i think u do not know any think other than windows ....
i know it is not ur problem..
it is the problem of our system...
which take everything coming out western world is good..
also this is our system where we do not want to learn any thing new...we do not want to change the system

i also think mr.amitava82.. that u use a paid version of windows software ..
as most of our country do not think that way...
lets not be arrogent about a company who is making money out of the ofice suite which can altered by "open office "(free).
be practical man...
in our country atleast use the office suite which is free....
i know u ll never change ur attitude...
still some day wish microsoft become a leader of freeware.......
i know i m wishing a BIG THING which is never going to happen.

i am thinking of trying out linux - ubuntu

but my profession demands the following apps

1. Visual Basic 6
  2. Visual Basic .Net
  3. SQL Server
  4. Crystal Reports
  5. Paintshop Pro & Photoshop
  6. Dreamweaver
what are their alternatives in linux ?

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

1. Visual Basic 6
  2. Visual Basic .Net
  3. SQL Server
  4. Crystal Reports
  6. Dreamweaver
Though there are alternatives, you better stick to Windows. Why, you won't understand and I don't want to explain,.

The drop will be only until the release of Windows 7, wait and watch, when it comes, it will be the best and pwn all.

arijit_2404

still find time for games

1. Visual Basic 6
  2. Visual Basic .Net
  3. SQL Server
  4. Crystal Reports
  6. Dreamweaver

thank god I choose Java technology as my career & I proudly wiped MS from my a$$ .

If you don't know, except SQL Server almost all the databases (popular ones are surely) supported by Linux.
M$ can suck my balls - this is the way they control PC market.

It depends how detail work you need from a graphical editor. If you are onto some rare plugins for photoshop, then better stick to those, else GIMP is pretty good.

There are alternatives to Dreamweaver in Linux too! Quanta Plus is very good.

It's not about 100% market share for Linux. It's about - why don't people use free alternatives available out there instead of costly softwares where applicable.

amitava82

MMO Addict
i think u do not know any think other than windows ....
i know it is not ur problem..
it is the problem of our system...
which take everything coming out western world is good..
also this is our system where we do not want to learn any thing new...we do not want to change the system

i also think mr.amitava82.. that u use a paid version of windows software ..
as most of our country do not think that way...
lets not be arrogent about a company who is making money out of the ofice suite which can altered by "open office "(free).
be practical man...
in our country atleast use the office suite which is free....
i know u ll never change ur attitude...
still some day wish microsoft become a leader of freeware.......
i know i m wishing a BIG THING which is never going to happen.

LOL... there is another one...

chooza

Journeyman
The replies from Linux fans:D Shows that they are very much afraid of MS. What dont you people understand that people want to change.Its stupid to say that People dont want change. Example is migration from MS 9x series to Xp and again to Vista.:pBut the thing is that after so many years of Shouting and Critisising Microsoft none of Linux distro has came up with an standard which can be followed by every other Linux distro.:(Don't shout for microsoft. Its their "PAID" Os and Office suit, which make the inroad of PC to Our home. Not Linux or any other.....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom