Windows, IE lose web share to Mac OS X, Linux, Safari, Firefox, iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Thanx for this interesting news Praka123. Must post it on my site soon :D

Incidentally the last para says :

Net Applications figures are derived from data collected by the company's visitor statistics service for web site operators, and are based on around 160 million visitors per month. That's big enough to provide some credibility, but without knowing the mix of sites it's hard to say how much trust can be put in the exact percentages.

It could be that the nature of the sites involved may lead to some bias towards or against particular operating systems or browsers, for example if they do not render.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
but the bias is to Linux ,I think.they dont even want to accurately measure the total users of Linux!

narangz

Web developer
IE 8 renders sites as FF or Opera, try the beta. Personal experience, a horrible 1 trying to make sites look the same on safari, ff,IE & Opera.

LOL :D Welome to the developer world :p I know how I made my site compatible with IE & others. It still does not appear correctly on IE 6. The sidebar appears at the bottom in ie 6. If I code it to work properly for IE 6, the other browsers display it horribly wrong. Maybe I am mising something.

goobimama

 Macboy
^^^ Haven't you heard of an ie6 stylesheet? Just make IE6 render some portions of your website differently while 'proper' browsers can use the main stylesheet.

narangz

Web developer
^^I tried that sh1t too. I guess I did something wrong.

My stats:
MS Internet Explorer 64.6 %
( Msie 8.0 0.3 %, Msie 7.0 52 %, Msie 6.0 12.2 %)
Firefox 17.3 %
Opera 7.5 %
Unknown 5.8 %
Safari 2.8 %
Lynx 0.8 %
Mozilla 0.4 %
Konqueror 0.3 %

@iMav-
"Disclaimer

This site looks best in IE 7 and or Firefox. Use of Opera is at personal risk. Avoid Safari even though it is free of cost."

Haha. what a disclaimer you have put on your site :p

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@iMav-
"Disclaimer

This site looks best in IE 7 and or Firefox. Use of Opera is at personal risk. Avoid Safari even though it is free of cost."

Haha. what a disclaimer you have put on your site :p

Ah noted just now.

What a disclaimer? Why avoiding the 2 most standard's compliant browsers? :eek:
hehe, well I am not a fan/user of Opera (therefore said use at personal risk) & Safari does not display my site's navigation bar correctly (therefore avoid it).

LOL :D Welome to the developer world :p I know how I made my site compatible with IE & others. It still does not appear correctly on IE 6. The sidebar appears at the bottom in ie 6. If I code it to work properly for IE 6, the other browsers display it horribly wrong. Maybe I am mising something.
I did not even bother about IE 6. It was at my uncle's place that I realized the site doesn't render correctly on IE 6. I was like to hell with IE 6, use 7 or don't visit my site.

narangz

Web developer
iMav said:
I did not even bother about IE 6. It was at my uncle's place that I realized the site doesn't render correctly on IE 6. I was like to hell with IE 6, use 7 or don't visit my site.

Even I don't have IE 6. Noticed that at some friend's place. As I don't have it, I can't check it by changing the codes, hence wrote site requirements at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom