Windows, IE lose web share to Mac OS X, Linux, Safari, Firefox, iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
by Stephen Withers Monday, 02 June 2008

The trouble with having a huge market share is that the only way to move is down - and that's exactly what's happening to Windows and Internet Explorer, according to an new report. The question is how much further are they going to fall?

According to the latest Market Share report from Net Applications, Windows' share has dropped from 93.28 to 91.13 percent over the last 12 months. What's taking up the slack? Mostly Mac OS, with a little help from the iPhone. The Mac share has risen from 5.99 to 7.83 percent, and the iPhone's from 0.04 to 0.16 percent - but more of that later.

Linux has scored the biggest proportional improvement over the period, but the growth is coming off such a low base that it is hardly significant.

Growing from 0.46 to 0.68 percent is an achievement, but look at it this way: Windows zealots often describe Mac OS X as irrelevant due to its comparatively small number of users, but on the Net Applications figures Linux is a further order of magnitude behind.

When we look at browser shares, Microsoft is doing even worse with the Market Share report noting a drop from 79.26 to 73.75 percent. Most of that is being soaked up by Firefox, which has gone from 14.45 to 18.41 percent. Safari also has picked up share, rising from 4.58 to 6.25 percent.

No other browser manages to crack the one percent threshold. While Opera last year supplanted Netscape as the fourth force in browsers, it is a long way behind the big three. That said, Opera Mini is responsible for around two and a half times the traffic of Pocket Internet Explorer.

So what was that about the iPhone?

Full article read here:
*www.itwire.com/content/view/18541/1151/

though I definitely thinks Linux share ~=mac :)

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^Lol! Btw praka yaar, dont you think growth of linux is very slow! I mean 0.68% is nothing :( Maybe you should advocate Linux and OSS even more than earlier now :p

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
well,there is no accurate measure to count the actual Linux users,where Linux is deployed.
I can very well say ,it will be nearer or greater than mac os X's share.

but these guys measure using browser specific details,the details provided by our host etc.
but there are thousands of servers,clients all run Linux :)

also,it is our duty to spread awareness about GNU/Linux and FOSS in forums such as this ,which used to be a complete window$ one :) we have to aggressively show Linux and its benefits.these many n00b's here multiboot different microsoft operating systems and dont know about Linux?then it is our duty to let them know :)

Pat

Beyond Smart
I am hoping for a day when all major tech magazines in India give as much coverage to Linux as it does to windows!

Talking about accuracy, I agree..It is not possible to measure accurately how many users use specific products etc.

The most common example that I can think of right now is distrowatch Page Hit Rankings! People often mis-interpret the results and end up having wrong information. Like for example PCLinuxOS stayed at No. 1, but it did not mean that majority Linux users were using that during those days!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
hey guess what ??
There is every possibility that M$ Vista purposefully crash Firefox....

If 4GB becomes minimum for an OS !! Then its time to phase out all 32bit processors !!
That is Windows 7 Minimum requirements... it should be atleast 10GB of RAM ;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
OMG Microsoft is doomed from 93% to 92%, that is such a huge drop, it's such a big gain for others, a full 1% Microsoft is doomed :lol:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
2% isn't much bigger than 1. Truth is there is nothing noteworthy about it. What Microsoft would be feeling now is equivalent to how an elephant would feel on a mosquito bite. Nothing.

But then I think why on Earth would anyone want to use IE? The disadvantages outweigh the advantages by 10 to 1. One really has to be a n00b to use IE. Either by chance or by choice.

goobimama

 Macboy
2% is huge btw! It is 2% of at least 500 million who use Windows? So that means that another 10-15 million (I've got zero math skills) more Mac/Linux users out there who will further spread the joy of christmas.

it doesn.t really matter how many users an OS has. Most of them could just be light users, like those in internet parlours, offices, etc.

What number is more important is Power Users, which is users who use the OS for power, and have a good understanding of their OS and use it. Among Power Users, the statistics are quite different, and though windows is still at the top, its lead is conciderably different, and Linux is far ahead of Macintosh.

goobimama

 Macboy
Maybe in terms of servers, but as far as notebooks and desktops are concerned, I have come across more Macs than Linux boxes. Windows mainly rules the corporate world.

Maybe in terms of servers, but as far as notebooks and desktops are concerned, I have come across more Macs than Linux boxes. Windows mainly rules the corporate world.
servers ? there you find NO mac at all. Only windows and linux. Usual boring win server or LAMP server which are as common as stray dogs...
Macs are popular in notebooks, yes.
Desktops ? nope. I think you might have missed quite a few linux machines.
Windows does not RULE corporate world, it DICTATES it.

goobimama

 Macboy
Toh maine kya bola? I did say you Linux servers rule didn't I? There must be what, like four-five Mac servers in the world?

Toh maine kya bola? I did say you Linux servers rule didn't I? There must be what, like four-five Mac servers in the world?
actually, I never said Linux Servers Rule. I just indicated the statistical position of them in webservers.

as for mac servers, you yourself know why they don't exist;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom