windows freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
after using my pc for a while, its been randomly locking up just freezing. theres no fixed timeframe but it just happens. every hard drive activity stops, no mouse moving no audio or anything there just an image of the desktop on the screen. i have to restart all the time.happens like once in 5hours or so. it can range on to about 15hours of use. any ideas guys?

paroh

Padawan
I think problem with the drivers so download the latest drives of ur sound card, video card etc. And also check what the exact error in event log. u can vew log right click on my computer->manage->event viewer check in system and application about the error

bandrew

Right off the assembly line
Have been going through the various sections and I am so impressed to see how helpful you are to each other. Have already accumulated knowledge towards various aspects that were not known to me and I decided I would also try and help others if I can.
In your case my friend what the others have said might surely be one of the reasons for your computer to freeze additionally check the CPU fan which might have accumulated dust and the heat sink beneath it. This happened to me once and upon cleaning it solved the issue, think its worth a try. Some of the color laser jet printers have made me curious.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
-try to bring up msconfig. If it does not show up, its a worm or a trojan. If it does show up, clear up all non-essential items from the startup.
-does the comp freeze when you use particular programs? does it happen at a particular level of CPU use? This could be an overheating problem. Open up your cabinet and check if the fan has collected dust.
-Some processes run automatically at certain times. ISP providers launch ads at intervals on IE, for example. Check if the browser launching is causing the freeze. Also check autoupdate features in any AV/OS that you use. If this is the problem, disable auto-update and IE.
-Open your cabinet, and check for loose contacts. If your RAM has slipped, your comp won't start at all, but check the hard disk connections, and the drive connections. See if there is anything loose.
-Also check if any of the wiring is interfering with the fan.
-If none of these help, it is almost certainly a problem with the operating system files. Drivers should not freeze, unless the system is detecting a new hardware, and taking a long time over that. If you have recently connected a new Hard Drive, web cam, printer, scanner - etc, then disconnect this and check.
-Bring up the task manager, and have a look at the processes. Check out suspicious processes on this site.. This will help you identify and trojans/spyware/viruses/worms that might be hogging your resources.
-Run a boot time scan. If you don't have an antivirus that does this, use Avast from the Nov DVD.

OP
entrana

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
ill try that. btw it just happened so ill let u guys know soon enough how it turns out

tkin

Back to school!!
after using my pc for a while, its been randomly locking up just freezing. theres no fixed timeframe but it just happens. every hard drive activity stops, no mouse moving no audio or anything there just an image of the desktop on the screen. i have to restart all the time.happens like once in 5hours or so. it can range on to about 15hours of use. any ideas guys?
Try to scan your Hard Drive for errors using this software, bad sectors can cause these problems a lot.
*www.hdtune.com/

Get the free version and do the scan. Also check if there are any S.M.A.R.T value exceed issues.

OP
entrana

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
its a rather slow scan will post back here when scan is finished

all seems to be ok with the scan

i noticed one more thing
when it freezes, the hdd led stops blinking and usually happens after 2-3 hours after waking up from hibernation.

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Try to install Linux on your system or run it through Live DVDs... If you can run it for a long time without freezing, you are dealing with a software problem... Otherwise, if you get system freeze with Linux also, you are most likely dealing with a hardware problem which may be caused by one of many components such as PSU, motherboard, RAM, RAM slot in the motherboard, harddisk, etc...

Arun

sakumar79

Technomancer
@entrana, even if you dont want to try linux, just get a Live DVD and run it... You dont have to install anything on your hard disk... Try to keep it running for a while... Play a game, browse the web, write some documents, etc... Just to see if this problem relates to software issues or hardware issues...

OP
entrana

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
i checked for bad sectors how to check for smart errors?

not hibernating "SEEMS" to solve the problem. will just stop hibernating i guess..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom