Windows equavalent software for Ubunutu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
HI Guys I am new user of linux I need some comparable software for linux.
There are so many pre installed but I don't know what they do have never heard about their names so don't know if I need more or they are built in.
I am using x64bit ultimate edition of ubunutu 8.04

Windows software list is as follows.
groupmail free - sending bulk mail but 1-1 so its not considered spam
roboform - its not made for linux but any other software which can save/ fill password in firefox.

I will keep on adding to this thread as I discover more of my need.

Posting it 1st time from a linux desktop :p

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
Congrats buddy!!!
Firefox can save passwords and if you like Opera then it can do both, filling forms and password management.
Thunderbird/Evolution would take care of Pop Mail (can install webmail extension for Thunderbird and check Yahoo, GMail, Hotmail, etc.
Hope this helps.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Thanks buddy,
I just discovered something called wine I can install most windows software under it..........................hey great best of both worlds.

I tried pop peeper that works under wine perfectly but groupmail free could not install properly giving some errors with some dll files.

Roboform installing is bit typical under wine so I still need some thing for linux.

Does thunderbird or evoulation work with rediffmail?

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Ok then poppeeper will do the job under wine, but groupmail does not install so need some other option for it.

Rahim

Married!
OK Ranjan just wait for others to reply to this query, i myself have no expereince with groupmail or wine.

F

FilledVoid

I use Evolution for my mail purposes. but I am using it with gmail and my web site account not rediffmail.

As for passwords. Enter in your passwords while using firefox and it will give you the option to save it.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
it gives me the option to save it but it does not fill it for you automatically or does it do that????

you have to remember the 1st few letters of ID then it will show you the option to fill in, I have over 280 site logins so its impossible to remember all of them.

Found a good source of linux applications
*linuxappfinder.com

should be useful for other members too.

found a roboform kind of software, lets see how it works with firefox.
*linuxappfinder.com/package/passwordmaker

Last edited:

sourav123

Thinking Different
it gives me the option to save it but it does not fill it for you automatically or does it do that????

you have to remember the 1st few letters of ID then it will show you the option to fill in, I have over 280 site logins so its impossible to remember all of them.

You can save password for each sites you login to in Firefox. It will ask for that option everytime you login to a site. Next time when you visit the site, it will automatically fill both the User-ID and password for you.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
groupmail free - sending bulk mail but 1-1 so its not considered spam
Probably xampp + php mailer script can achive the same. I haven't tried groupmail so don't know the features it has.
phpmailer - *phpmailer.codeworxtech.com/
There should be other mail scripts too. Maybe if you list the features you require then it can be searched around.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Try KWallet, it's KDE based, but pretty good
Does kwallet allows you to work with existing passwords same as roboform does?

I tried passwordmaker but it cannot do that (at least I could not find how) it will only generate its own password for all my sites & only then it will remember the login info. I cant change all my passwords for using it.

F

FilledVoid

Please forgive my ignorance but how exactly does the browser which saves passwords does nto accomplish what you are trying to do? Example. I can directly access my yahoo mail, hotmail, gmail , digit forum , hosting account blah blah from my browser. Is this what you are trying to do?

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
1. I would not like to save my bank/credit cards login info in a browser

2. firefox saves login/passwords but does not fill it automatically for you on all the sites.

Does it do it for you at www.rediff.com , for me it does not & I have type 1st 2-3 letters of my id then it gives me a drop down menu to choose my id from the list bcoz there are other rediff ids of my family members, so I still have to remember my id where as roboform does that automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom