Windows 8x9

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Not for all.

It's only a "Beta". Only those curious in testing it will download it.

As for free Windows 7 or Windows 8 is concerned, you can always avail Dreamspark and other student programs to get the Server edition for free which you can always use as a desktop, if you really need. Pretty sure you'll get Windows Server 8 and use it as Windows 8 if you wish so (along with Server 2008/R2). And there are arguably better operating systems around as well. There is no point of releasing Windows 7 or any predecessor for free.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I dont think it will be DL DVD. The consumer preview does not even fill one SL disc.

Windows 7 had one DVD for all (like vista). You have to make an image and modify some scripts to make it let you choose. Data for all variants is present.

logically speaking, Win 8 ARM edition should not be in the same disc. After all, the architecture is different and x86 was in a different disc from x64 in win 7(for obvious reasons). putting both in one dvd will cause problems: an x86-only processor cant read x64 commands and an x64 processor also includes the x86 instruction set (because X64 is actually an extension to x86. it should not be confused for IA64 which is incompatible with x86). so, making an installer will be tough work.

BTW, wont ARM edition be bulk OEM-only?

Neuron

Electronic.
As for free Windows 7 or Windows 8 is concerned, you can always avail Dreamspark and other student programs to get the Server edition for free which you can always use as a desktop, if you really need. Pretty sure you'll get Windows Server 8 and use it as Windows 8 if you wish so (along with Server 2008/R2). And there are arguably better operating systems around as well. There is no point of releasing Windows 7 or any predecessor for free.

Windows 7 and 2008 r2 aren't exactly the same.Using the sever version as a desktop OS isn't as easy as using a normal edition.It would be good if they added win7 to the free list just like they did with Vista.

tkin

Back to school!!
Windows 7 and 2008 r2 aren't exactly the same.Using the sever version as a desktop OS isn't as easy as using a normal edition.It would be good if they added win7 to the free list just like they did with Vista.
You have your answer right there, vista was epitome of cr@pness, hence the free giveaway, no ones gives a cashcow away for free, did it do for XP?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

See, there are some features in the desktop variant that is not present in the server edition and vice versa.

EDIT: Dreamspark premium schools can access windows 7 professional.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
You can configure Windows Server 2008 R2 to behave almost exactly like Windows 7. I've done it, so can you or anyone else.
And when did Microsoft give away Vista for free? I'll take it now. Vista SP1 is almost as good as Windows 7.

See, there are some features in the desktop variant that is not present in the server edition and vice versa.

Be prepared to pay then. Used Server 2008 (not R2) for 2 years, and R2 for few months btw. Didn't miss anything though I used it only for gaming.

Will all versions ship on one dvd? One 4.7GB DVD? or DL DVD?
Two DVDs are given when one purchases.

Neuron

Electronic.
You have your answer right there, vista was epitome of cr@pness, hence the free giveaway, no ones gives a cashcow away for free, did it do for XP?

Not true.Windows server versions are costlier than normal ones and 2008 r2 is free to download,so is xp.But free doesn't mean free for life time,free as long as you are a student.

You can configure Windows Server 2008 R2 to behave almost exactly like Windows 7. I've done it, so can you or anyone else.
And when did Microsoft give away Vista for free? I'll take it now. Vista SP1 is almost as good as Windows 7.

Installing (most of) AVs and normal utilities aren't that easy.You always have to find a work-around.And yes,Vista is there in the free list.

Neuron

Electronic.
Where?
Certainly it's not here (I'm verified as well). Any other source?

It's there in my MSDN Academic Alliance WebStore.Got it after joining IEEE.There is a plethora of other stuff too.

Here is the link.

Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society - Computer Science - DreamSpark Premium | Academic Software Discounts

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think MS need to go the Arch way. Provide a barebones system and buy and install whatever packages you need to customize it to your requirements. Then no need for versions with excess baggage and bloat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Bottom