Windows 8 System Builder 64 Bit DVD.

moltenskull

Journeyman
I want to purchase a genuine copy of Windows 8 System Builder 64-Bit DVD.My questions are-
a) My local HP dealer (Delhi) is confusing it with Windows 8 64-Bit Pro,which is available for Rs.12,000/-. He refuses to acknowledge that a plain Jane version of 8 exists.
b)theitdepot.com has it for Rs.6725/-. Should I trust them?Plus they have written ' OEM version '. Is it the same as the System Builder version and if not,whats the price difference?
c) Another shop in District Center ,Janakpuri is offering Windows 8 for Rs.9000/-.But I have been fooled before by shops in Janak Puri.
d) I contacted Microsoft and Croma but they were unable to give me anything definite.
So,right now,I want advice on where and how to get a Genuine Copy of Windows 8 64-Bit System Builder DVD.I currently have a copy of Windows Vista 32 bit that came pre-installed with my System.I ran Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and the results are so,far positive.Plus I read that the OEM version can only be installed on one System.Is that true?
Thank you.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
its better to download an ISO from MS servers and burn it on to a DVD.

about the serial, do you have the serial?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
so your serial is a real one... now, all you ahve to do is log on to MS servers. they will verufy the serial. then you have to pay a One time Upgradation fee and then you can have a original copy if Win 8 :)

more than this i cannot tell, coz i dont use win 8.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
you have to pay a One time Upgradation fee

Aah,that's the problem...How much is it exactly? And will it allow me to install it again if I blow something up in my PC ,sometime in the near future?Plus I would prefer to have something concrete from Microsoft,rather than a disk I burnt myself.....I ran MS Upgrade Assistant and the only option is to upgrade to MS Win8 Pro...That was before 31st jan...should I try again?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
dunno..

but one thing is for sure, you can use that serial as many times as you want as long as there is only one instance of the serial installed.
and something concrete is the ISO that is dled from MS servers. unless China hacks MS. :p

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
For your information, I just ran the Windows8 upgrade tool on my office Windows7 PC and bought a Windows 8 pro key for Rs.1999/. Then I downloaded Win8 pro iso from torrent and installed it on my home pc. Used the key so purchased and activated Windows online and now I have genuine Windows 8 Pro. I think you can use the downloaded iso from microsoft also for fresh installation. I didn't download it as it was showing some error. If you are lucky you can buy it for Rs.699/- as they have extended the upgrade offer to 28 Feb.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Last time I checked flipkart, Windows 8 upgrade disk was out of stock and marked as permanently discontinued. Please check if it is still available. The cheapest method is as I have done. Install Win7 pirated or not in your pc and buy the upgrade key. Format and install Windows 8 and register using the key purchased.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Dude..

All you have to do is -

1) Run the windows upgrade assistant (which i think u are already aware of)
2) Purchase the key
3) Download the win8 pro (around 2 to 3 GB, dont remember the exact size) using the upgrade assistant.
4) After downloading the content it gives you the option to instal right away or do it later. (again dont remember the exact words)
5) Choose to instal later and then it asks you to store the image on USB (pendrive with atleast 4GB capacity) or on disk (DVD)
6) Choose dvd, insert a fresh writtable dvd and wait for the image to be burnt. Now this a bootable win8 pro upgrade disk that u have in hand.
7) If you want to create a bootable USB instead, choose it.

Couple of things to note here are -

1) The upgrade assistant will download the win8 pro 32/64 bit version depending on your current OS version. If your vista is 32 bit, the assistant will download 32 bit win8 pro only. You can download the 64 bit from torrents as an alternative.
2) The 1999 key is upgrade only key and you can fresh install win8 pro on a new disk and you will have to install your already owned vista (or even a pirated copy of win7 works :p) first and upgrade win8pro over it.
3) The online sale with disk costs you more 1K just for the sake of the disk. So the wait time to recieve your pack and the 1K can be saved by downloading through windows assistant.
4) The offer to get the upgrade pack for 1999/- has been extended till 28th Feb and there is no 699/- offer since long as this was discontinued long back.

OP
M

moltenskull

Journeyman
I got a System Builder DVD for Rs 5900/- from Microsoft's Official Distributor.So,all that remains is the installation and setup.Sorry for the inconvenience caused but I suddenly chanced upon Microsoft's Dial-A-Software Partner near my place yesterday..Thanks for the help,everyone....anirbandd,baiju,saswat23,Gaurav265,rakesh_ic,thanks a lot for the replies.If I have further problems ,I will post back here about them (after reading the stickies of course :D ) .It will be the first time I will be trying out how to install a Windows O.S. and that too a 64-bit one...:pray: I currently have a 32 bit version of Vista...I hope it will be better than that .....any tips before I start? :) Thanks again! :)

Oh yes,I checked out Flipkart...they only have an upgrade pack right now and even that is permanently discontinued ....

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Dude..

All you have to do is -

1) Run the windows upgrade assistant (which i think u are already aware of)
2) Purchase the key
3) Download the win8 pro (around 2 to 3 GB, dont remember the exact size) using the upgrade assistant.
4) After downloading the content it gives you the option to instal right away or do it later. (again dont remember the exact words)
5) Choose to instal later and then it asks you to store the image on USB (pendrive with atleast 4GB capacity) or on disk (DVD)
6) Choose dvd, insert a fresh writtable dvd and wait for the image to be burnt. Now this a bootable win8 pro upgrade disk that u have in hand.
7) If you want to create a bootable USB instead, choose it.

Couple of things to note here are -

1) The upgrade assistant will download the win8 pro 32/64 bit version depending on your current OS version. If your vista is 32 bit, the assistant will download 32 bit win8 pro only. You can download the 64 bit from torrents as an alternative.
2) The 1999 key is upgrade only key and you can fresh install win8 pro on a new disk and you will have to install your already owned vista (or even a pirated copy of win7 works :p) first and upgrade win8pro over it.
3) The online sale with disk costs you more 1K just for the sake of the disk. So the wait time to recieve your pack and the 1K can be saved by downloading through windows assistant.
4) The offer to get the upgrade pack for 1999/- has been extended till 28th Feb and there is no 699/- offer since long as this was discontinued long back.

Exactly!. Regarding point 2) The 1999 key is upgrade only key and you can fresh install win8 pro on a new disk and you will have to install your already owned vista (or even a pirated copy of win7 works :p) first and upgrade win8pro over it., no need for installing vista or win7 first and upgrade over it. You can freshly install windows 8 on any pc and use the key purchased to activate.

reniarahim1

Youngling
Yes...It works with Fresh Install. I have done the same and activated the OS without any problems.

Yes...It works with Fresh Install. I have done the same and activated the OS without any problems.

himanshu4u84

Right off the assembly line
I got a System Builder DVD for Rs 5900/- from Microsoft's Official Distributor.So,all that remains is the installation and setup.Sorry for the inconvenience caused but I suddenly chanced upon Microsoft's Dial-A-Software Partner near my place yesterday..Thanks for the help,everyone....anirbandd,baiju,saswat23,Gaurav265,rakesh_ic,thanks a lot for the replies.If I have further problems ,I will post back here about them (after reading the stickies of course :D ) .It will be the first time I will be trying out how to install a Windows O.S. and that too a 64-bit one...:pray: I currently have a 32 bit version of Vista...I hope it will be better than that .....any tips before I start? :) Thanks again! :)

Oh yes,I checked out Flipkart...they only have an upgrade pack right now and even that is permanently discontinued ....

From where did you get Win 8 DVD, is the package contain both 32 and 64 bit DVD or just one?

can you share with us the iso of DVD?

Thanks

Top Bottom