WINDOWS 8.1 lost

Chinmoy Roy

Broken In
Hello everyone
I own a lenovo z510 . It came with win 8.1 preinstalled. As am a college student i installed ubuntu 13.10 as a dual booting system. The system worked smoothly. Now in may I update my OS to win 8.1 update 1.
But later in june i decided to upgrade my ubuntu to 14.04. I received the iso in the copy of digit. While installation the installer said my system has 13.10 installed .. The upgrade option was greyed out. It said remove 13.10 and install 14.04. I proceeded with it . And my hard drive was wiped clean.
Now as the nearest service wasnt accessible to me I retrieved the key using linux commands and installed another iso image of 8.1. But the same key didnt work.
Now I want my genuine windows back.
1. Should I buy a paid recovery disc and use my key to install the windows and would it work?
2 if i manage to install the windows.. Will it be genuine?
3 the official update period of win 8.1 update 1 is over. Now how will I update the system as it is necessary for future update? (I prefer 8.1)

OP
C

Chinmoy Roy

Broken In
No i dont the recovery partition.. The whole hard disk was wiped clean

- - - Updated - - -

No i dont have the recovery partition.. The whole hard disk was wiped clean

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Laptop manufacturers should provide smooth service regarding these installation problems. Max laptop users face this who try to RnD, others are just afraid due to poor / no servicing.

I can understand that they can't provide OEM CD, they should have option to buy one media for some extra bucks.

Atleast service centers should do these installations in that case.

OP
C

Chinmoy Roy

Broken In
They said to buy a recovery disc for Rs. 800. For a student with limited money it is outrageous and considering i jave already paid for the licence.
Still if I buy disc will it be worth it? And would I be able to upgrade 8.1 upgrade 1

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I believe yes. As your laptop came with 8.1 preinstalled then the service providers / manufacturers will give you 8.1 Media (Or may give you the latest media too :p). If they don't provide you the 8.1 Update 1 media then you can update from Win 8.1

kaz

right here
They said to buy a recovery disc for Rs. 800. For a student with limited money it is outrageous and considering i jave already paid for the licence.
Still if I buy disc will it be worth it? And would I be able to upgrade 8.1 upgrade 1

I don't know why they don't provide the genuine disk...I have Windows 7 Home Premium disks which I got with my laptop...But I have seen no one provides Windows 8 disks not even the key...
And now they have started charging also....My friend got Windows 7 disk from HP free of cost when his laptop was still under warranty and he asked HP to send him one...They should at least provide the key....

kaz

right here
They had given a time frame to update to 8.1 Update 1...If one missed that, he wont get any further 8.1 updates :D

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
They had given a time frame to update to 8.1 Update 1...If one missed that, he wont get any further 8.1 updates :D

there is nothing like that. if one is on windows 8.1 now, he still can download update 1, but no other security updates. but once he updates to update 1, he is safe as he can install other security updates too thereafter.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Leave M$ software forever, or just go other way ;)

Open source is the way, use ubuntu or any other distros, and now hackintosh is also possible.

and dont forget to complain M$ and your laptop manufacturer about this in a strong email.

Top Bottom