Windows 8.1 & 10 doubts

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y500 laptop which came with Windows 8 pre-installed.

I have some minor bugs, so I tried to refresh it but I can't
(I deleted a 20GB empty hidden partition while installing & cloning my C drive from HDD to SSD, maybe that's why..... Any way to get refresh & reset back to normal working?)

Can I get Windows 8.1 iso somewhere? Will this one work:
mod edit:~snip~

@Mods: There are no keys or activators in that link, so don't ban me

If I download that one & put it in a USB & try to format my laptop, will it automatically detect my win 8 key embedded in BIOS ?

Another doubt regarding Windows 10:
Will it provide a clean install option while upgrading? Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

sidtechster

Game for Life
Downloading Windows 8.1 from other sources will not automatically detect the key embedded in BIOS.

Have you deleted your recovery partition? If yes, then your Reset/Refresh will not work.
But the laptop should have a sticker at bottom which will have the original product key for Windows.

You can try this link
Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

Here it might accept your original key for Windows 8, and should let you download a legit Win8.1 ISO file.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Microsoft has started embedding the Generic Manufacturer keys into the BIOS. so you wont be seeing the "Proof of License/CAO" sticker or key. you can also use tools to extract the keys from your current installation.

Check this link How To Recover Windows 8/8.1 Product Key From BIOS

ashs1

Padawan
Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but my friend is in a similar situation..he has windows 8 installed (oem) and is planning to upgrade to windows 8.1 and eventually windows 10..now , for windows 8 he has a recovery USB drive which he can use whenever there is a problem..this means that even if he is in windows 10, if he uses the recovery, he will go back to windows 8 and has to start the updating process all over again. Now my question is : to avoid downloading the windows 8.1 update again in the future, we use the media creation tool, right ?? Irrespective of USB or DVD method, we can use this N number of times ?? And does this tool asks for key ??because his laptop doesn't have the windows 8 key sticker.(embedded to bios.)

Last edited:

Niilesh

Padawan
Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but my friend is in a similar situation..he has windows 8 installed (oem) and is planning to upgrade to windows 8.1 and eventually windows 10..now , for windows 8 he has a recovery USB drive which he can use whenever there is a problem..this means that even if he is in windows 10, if he uses the recovery, he will go back to windows 8 and has to start the updating process all over again. Now my question is : to avoid downloading the windows 8.1 update again in the future, we use the media creation tool, right ?? Irrespective of USB or DVD method, we can use this N number of times ?? And does this tool asks for key ??because his laptop doesn't have the windows 8 key sticker.(embedded to bios.)

Yeah just create a bootable Pendrive with media creation tool. It will ask for key which you can get as mentioned by Rcuber
Microsoft has started embedding the Generic Manufacturer keys into the BIOS. so you wont be seeing the "Proof of License/CAO" sticker or key. you can also use tools to extract the keys from your current installation.

Check this link How To Recover Windows 8/8.1 Product Key From BIOS

Top Bottom