Windows 7 Ready Boost not working

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I use Windows 7 Ulitmate. Don't know why, my system has slowed down a lot these days. Especially Firefox. I switched back to Firefox 5 from 7.0.1 and thing are lot better now. I used TuneUp Utilities, Ccleaner etc without much success. When I checked " Resource Monitor ", it seems Firefox is taking most of the resources (I use a lot of tabs, can't avoid that). Even if click on another tab, it takes a few seconds to switch. So I decided to use my 8GB Transcend USB with Ready Boost. I think I did it properly because in My computer, the USB shows 4 GB occupied even though I formatted a few minutes ago.

The problem is, nothing changed even after that. Will be nice if you guys can suggest some way out. I was happy with Windows 7 till some weeks back till this started to happen (attaching Resource Montior screen shots).

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5357&stc=1&d=1317608945

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5358&stc=1&d=1317608996

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
2GB RAM, AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2GHz, 32 Bit OS. Please let me know if you need any other details.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
That tune up utility service is taking abnormal CPU usage, were you running any of its app when you took the screen shot.
disable that service and check.

Sometimes loose cables (HDD) could be the reason. So reseat HDD cables and RAM too.

Ready boost works best when you have a fast pen drive, like corsair's.

Transcend and the likes have read / write speed of around 15 MB/5MB

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Block the TUne Up Service. 27% usage is really to much. Also make sure you are not virus affected by doing a Online antivirus scan from here-
HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Thanks s18000rpm, thetechfreak

It was the same before TuneUp was installed. It seems to be a spike from Tuneup. It is normal now (for TuneUp). I am pretty much sure that there is no virus in my system.

Will try other methods. I think it is a bit better now, may be it takes time to build cache. But would expect more performance. If there are any other suggestions / method, please update. Thanks.

Top Bottom