Windows 7 PC shutting down randomly.. opinion required further

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hi all,

we have all been there .. yeah right.. pc shutting down automatically..! Been trying to solve this for the past entire month and finally decided to get help here..

Spec - phenom x4 955be/asus mobo/corsair GS 600w/4gb corsair/msi cyclone r6850

When - All of a sudden (not necessarily during game.. but yeah.. also occurs when I say for example, minimize a heavy game or as soon as I exit the game / when I'm in the middle of it...)
Symptom - PC simply does the usual shutdown procedure after logging off itself and wont switch back on for a couple of minutes .. (something like a cooling period..!)
Diagnosis - Cleaned out all possible dust from the PC cabinet / GPU fan / stock cooler, disconnected unused optical drives , removed unused tuner card from pci slot to bring in some space
Result - Was stable for couple of days. Same problem few days later even when operating with side cover open
2nd level diagnosis - Used speedfan to monitor temps/voltages. Voltages - normal atleast to my amateur eye. CPU core max @ 61 & GPU max @ 71 (as seen during GTA 4 playback at medium-high settings)
Investment - Hoping that GPU/PSU are decent reliable ones.. decided to install CM Hyper 212 EVO for 2.3k yesterday.. only to learn that it did not solve the problem :(
Result - No change in the CPU core idle/load temperature.. Core was still @ 57C under load. However, am happy that the stock AMD fan is done with, given its noise @ 6000 RPM
Observation to shock - Stress test with prime95 was ok. However, when gta 4 was played for about 45 mins, the PC just shut off abruptly with a single crank sound.. not even the usual way that it does by closing the running applications, logging off and shutting down..

Suggestions please...

Now that CPU is ruled out (I hope it is), I sincerely hope this is not something to do with the GPU/PSU as I had invested hugely in these components..

Just thought of mentioning - The cabinet is a 8 year old iball carry case one.. but with lots of inner space though.. (Not sure how the cabinet could be the problem. when the temp's are still decent enough..)

Well, this is something similar to this thread..

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/159525-problem-new-gpu.html

But, I haven't run any benchmark s/w like furmark though..!

Pls. help..! the rma experience of this OP gives me the creeps..!

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ I don't think we are facing the same issues even if it appears similar.
My problem was because I ruined my power supply and GPU by running furmark.

These are the problems that I faced(check the videos and ignore the many "I don't know why this is happening" in them.):-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/159525-problem-new-gpu-3.html#post1699018

And your cpu and GPU temps look fine.So no issues there. Try testing your system with another power supply. If its a power supply issue give it for RMA to kaizen. You'll get the new GS600 psu in a week.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hey thanks for replying out here.. Are there any proven methods of testing a PSU ? As I don't have an alternate PSU to test with. (got an old zebronics 500w but dont want to risk this system with that)

Any idea if underclocking this GPU will help ?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Run Memtest86+ to check the RAM for any error before doing anything more. The reason behind sudden shut down could be RAM.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think there's some issue with the cabinet power/reset switch - if possible run the pc on a open bench/table for a few days and see whether this issue occurs or not.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ not every mobo has the onboards reset/start switch and Op did not say what mobo he has ( model no ).

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hi all, am so sorry for being non-responsive. Had to step out for a couple of weeks.
@ ripper - I also have the same issues as shown in the video. PC switching off & wont turn back ON for couple of minutes, etc.
@ d6bmg - Are you sure a faulty RAM will cause such a problem of instant shutdown ? Shouldn't it be a BSOD instead ? Even if I try using memtest, what if the PC switches off mid-way during the test ?!
@ topgear - nice suggestion, but I'm afraid it isn't going to be possible for me to dis-assemble the PC and run it on a flat table..
What was that onboard reset switch you were talking about ? My cabinet power switch feels ok to the feel and I am not sure if its faulty. (An instant shutdown is different from a shutdown that happens from a power switch .. where in the shutdown is a bit more slower with the PC logging off and all that.. am i wrong?)

in my case, the system just shuts off with a nice little "knock" sound inside.
btw, my mobo is an asus m4a88td-v evo/usb3

Thanks for taking this ahead !

update - i ran memtest to rule out the RAM & pc switched off during the test itself. this is very frustrating !

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some motherbaord has reset/power on switch so you can bypass the cabinet's power/reset switch - I'm talking about those.

And a if a cabinet's power/reset button feels Ok it does not mean they are functioning OK - you have to be sure about this as random shutdown issue can be occurred due to the cabinet's power button - I've seen this happening so telling you from my experience and only way to rule this out is to test the mobo+cpu+ram ( single stick )+psu on an open table without gfx card and any connection to the cabinet - if you can't do it by yourself tell some of friend who is experienced enough to do this ( or there's tons of youtube vids / online tutorials available ).

Anyway, can you test the pc without the gfx card and if possible with another PSU ?? and are you using a UPS / Spike Guard ??

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Thanks for the response topgear..
Yeah, I did try running the system with the onboard GPU (by completely plugging out the GPU card & DVD drives just to be safe) and the PC would still shut down itself..

I was also lucky enough to get another RAM module to test this issue out with and the PC switched off with the new RAM as well. So, RAM is now eliminated !

Here goes my results with a power supply tester that I was able to get hold off yesterday. This is the normal one with just green LED's next to the voltages & not the one that shows the voltages in digital.

The tester had these pin connectors:
- 20/24 pin (mobo connector)
- 8 pin (cpu power connector)
- 6 pin (gpu power connector)
- SATA
- HDD power
- Floppy drive power connector (one that I dont use/need)

My Motherboard - Asus m4a88td-v evo/usb3
CPU - amd x4 955be (at stock speed)

Here goes the results. (I haven't used a psu tester before and just tried my luck out !)

1. Connected the 24 pin -> all voltages glow except for -5v (which is not mentioned in my corsair gs600 box)
2. 24 pin + 8 pin -> +12V glow but not the +3.3V & +5v
3. 24 pin + 8 pin + 6 pin -> same result as above, no + 3.3v & + 5v
4. 24 pin + HDD connector -> +12v & +5v were glowing leaving the +3.3v LED off

Not sure if the PSU tester has to be tested with only one conenction at the time, but my power supply tripped/shutdown when I tried the following connections combination :

1. 24 pin + 6 pin + 8 pin + HDD
2. 24 pin + 8 pin + HDD
3. 24 pin + 6 pin + HDD

Once the PSU trips with the above connections, it does not power up back similar to my original problem. Only when +5vsb LED is off, the power supply would power back on.

Just to add, whenever the PSU is switched off, the "PG" LED would go off 1st and then the +5vsb LED would slowly subside.

Can you help me figure out the results of these tests please..

Update - 4 hours later.

okay topgear.. as suggested I now have my entire PC outside the case ! The mobo & PSU are placed on the floor & i've just connected 1 HDD, mouse & keyboard.. Hopefully, the effort should yield some results...
Amazing to see coretemp report a temperature of 28 C as against 39 C when inside the case !

Update - Almost 2 hrs now into testing. Added the discrete GPU & DVD drive as well. No signs of shutdown so far..!
Gonna leave it ON for the next 12 hrs to observe.. fingers crossed.. Is it possible that such a shutdown problem can be due to the cabinet ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ absolutely possible and I've no experience with PSU testers and volt meters - if you suspect the PSu you can tell one of your friend to use it for 2 days and report back but as I suspect the power/reset button of the cabinet is to be blamed here.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Just to be prepared.. :) , can I get some suggestions on a good cabinet thats suits my config ? I'm looking on a decent feature packed cabinet with some frills maybe ;) ample space, good design, sufficient cooling.. (been hearing of liquid cooling these days..)
However, would not invest more than 5k max, I guess..

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
This is unfortunately still not solved guys.. I've got an interesting update that might help for people (Remote chance) facing such issues. 1st thinking the PSU as the problem, then the RAM, mobo and finally coming down to the cabinet. There is a possibility further down if in case you reside in an old building with a possibly crappy electrical connection.

When I had visited a local computer shop to get a new cabinet explaining the problem he said buying a new cabinet would not help ! and that i needed to check the electrical connection in my home.. (Grounding or earthing problem ?)

Some of the issues I have at home are-

- The electrical circuit tipper in the main board gets tripped now & then and would not turn back ON. I have to unplug all possible electrical equipments & then wait for sometime. Only then would be able to put the tripped switch back ON.

- I would sometimes feel slight current when touching the sides of the cabinet ... !

- The water taps in the washrooms would also give slight shock to the touch when water passes through it..

And to confirm that the electrical wiring could indeed the problem, my PC just exhibited the same behavior of abrupt shutdown couple of days even when being bread boarded!

Maybe changing to a new cabinet might not really help ?

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
While electrical re-wiring is about to start at home, I happen to get hold on one of old PSU (purchased in 2010) - A Zebronics 500w platinum series PSU.

Just thought I would test the system out with this alternate PSU to rule out the Corsair PSU as a possible cause.
But need to know if this Zebronics 500w platinum series PSU would be able to handle my below rig..

- phenom x4 955 be
- 4gb ram
- 2 hdd's (can remove 1 if required)
- 1 optical drive (can remove if required)
- msi r6850 cyclone pe

P.S : I already ran the PC without the GPU and all went well. Can I connect the pci e card as well ?

thanks !

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Update - electrical re-wiring was completed at a cost of 5k & PC is in observation since last night. No shutdown since then..
fingers crossed.

Top Bottom