win98 vs winxp

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst99

Broken In
when ever i try to install program designed for win xp or compatible with it to win98se it gives error messages like" incompatible version of RPC stub" etc.can anybody suggest me how can i install winxp compatible programs to win98se.

swatkat

Technomancer
This error is caused by an incompatible version of a DLL that was installed on the system, such as Oleaut32.dll, Olepro32.dll, Asycfilt.dll, or Stdole2.tlb. For example, version 3.50 of Oleaut32.dll is installed and used only by Windows XP, and so causes this error if it is installed on a machine running any other operating system.
That is Oleaut32.dll file in Win 98 is not the correct version as required by the software.So u have to download this fix from Installshield, if the software u r installing comes with InstallShield Installer.
Download the fix and follow instructions given in this site.
*consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108188

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
MS Says: Now many people across USA and EU don't use 9x system, so many software coming with 2x/XP compatible... but still huge amount of users in SE Asia and China use 9x...

Well... first off, u need to patch/update ur 98SE system with all available updates... tht free security update CD MS released last year in Feb is no longer available... wait may be this FEB they'll distribute another Security Update CD :roll: :roll: ...

To update us 98SE system use Windows Update from ur startmenu...

After updating, I think I'll also required files... not sure about it. .. but it should.

Above InstallShield link by SWATKAT is useful... take a look in solution there...

ujjwal

Padawan
The best way to update Windows 98 SE is to use the unofficial service pack :)

*exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

OP
C

catalyst99

Broken In
thanks but...

swatkat said:
This error is caused by an incompatible version of a DLL that was installed on the system, such as Oleaut32.dll, Olepro32.dll, Asycfilt.dll, or Stdole2.tlb.
Thank you very much for suggesting solution but dear the given link gives oleaut32.dll,what about Olepro32.dll, Asycfilt.dll, or Stdole2.tlb...
I'm running win98 should I use mcrepair.exe tool too as i don't have Microsoft Office 2000.Can I be able to install Office xp,3dmax6,premeire pro,photoshop cs on win98 anyway?I have 2ghz celeron processor with 256ddr ram!!

swatkat

Technomancer
Re: thanks but...

catalyst99 said:
This error is caused by an incompatible version of a DLL that was installed on the system, such as Oleaut32.dll, Olepro32.dll, Asycfilt.dll, or Stdole2.tlb.
Thank you very much for suggesting solution but dear the given link gives oleaut32.dll,what about Olepro32.dll, Asycfilt.dll, or Stdole2.tlb...
I'm running win98 should I use mcrepair.exe tool too as i don't have Microsoft Office 2000.Can I be able to install Office xp,3dmax6,premeire pro,photoshop cs on win98 anyway?I have 2ghz celeron processor with 256ddr ram!!
Yes,u can install Office XP,3dSMax6,Photoshop CS on Win98SE.I have used all the above softwares(an older version of 3DSMax) in 98SE.
Updating Oleaut.dll didnt solved ur problem?

OP
C

catalyst99

Broken In
Re: thanks but...

Yes,u can install Office XP,3dSMax6,Photoshop CS on Win98SE.I have used all the above softwares(an older version of 3DSMax) in 98SE.
Updating Oleaut.dll didnt solved ur problem?
How can I use both win98se service pack(suggested above) with your Install sheild patch.Well replacing that dll file works.But will it work for Install Aware application.Many other installation packages esigned for winxp show nasty messages.Also how one can install only win98 applications to winxp!I'm asking it as winxp eats more ram than win98,compare running max5 on xp and 98se u will see the difference.

swatkat

Technomancer
Well,i have not used that update for Win98SE.That ServicePack looks good!
That DLL file update should work for most of the installers.There will be no problem in doing both Service Pack and DLL file update.

u better upgrade ur Windows Installer Component also.It is required by ALL installers.
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/detail...d8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&displaylang=en

Also u should install VB6 Runtime files,because some softwares (which were created using VB) need them.
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/detail...F9-B5C5-48F4-8EDD-CDF2D29A79D5&displaylang=en

OP
C

catalyst99

Broken In
oh god

swatkat said:
u better upgrade ur Windows Installer Component also.It is required by ALL installers.
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/detail...d8-c094-4255-b702-de3bb768148f&displaylang=en

Also u should install VB6 Runtime files,because some softwares (which were created using VB) need them.
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/detail...F9-B5C5-48F4-8EDD-CDF2D29A79D5&displaylang=en
I have tried it but while installing ms office 2003 or acrobat 6 ,it gives error messages like "upgrade your operating system" or "meant for win2000 xp or higher".I'm not getttin' a way out!!! :cry:

swatkat

Technomancer
Re: oh god

catalyst99 said:
swatkat said:

I have tried it but while installing ms office 2003 or acrobat 6 ,it gives error messages like "upgrade your operating system" or "meant for win2000 xp or higher".I'm not getttin' a way out!!! :cry:
You cannot install Office 2003 in 98SE, it requires atleast 2000 0r XP.But u can install Acrobat 6 in Win98SE but it requires atleast Internet Explore 6 to be in the system.

OP
C

catalyst99

Broken In

swatkat said:
You cannot install Office 2003 in 98SE,
I know its microsoft's smart business concept of preventing backward compatibility to its upcoming packages thus forcing people to buy winxp.The same will happen with longhorn too..
well win98se sp causes my system to hang more often!! :eek:

swatkat

Technomancer

catalyst99 said:
well win98se sp causes my system to hang more often!! :eek:
Do u get any error messages?
Is there any uninstall option with that SP?
If there's no uninstall option and if u want ur original system files back u can get them using 'sfc'.

reddick

Mobile Freak
when ever i try to install program designed for win xp or compatible with it to win98se it gives error messages like" incompatible version of RPC stub" etc.can anybody suggest me how can i install winxp compatible programs to win98se.
Wht r ur PC configration...Do u have WinXP Home or Professional edition?

Saharika

In the zone
i didnt got the whole thing
can the program which says comatible for xp only made compatible to 98 or 2000 using some updates...?
is it so...?

OP
C

catalyst99

Broken In

swatkat said:
Is there any uninstall option with that SP?
If there's no uninstall option and if u want ur original system files back u can get them using 'sfc'.
There is no uninstall support provided with sp,I also have xp pro cd but application need 256 or more ram for better running in xp.Light wave 3d recommends over 1gb ram?? :shock:

Saharika

In the zone
yehmeriidhain said:
Yes! i believe all of them almost can be done ... but i'm not sure of performance to ne extent ... :shock:
then why do they say ...compatoble for this ...giving name of OS
after all as u say every program can be made compatible ....
i am some what confused....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom