Win 98 : Missing file .vxd

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keves2002

i am using win98, when i start my system its showing, the following Missing Files.

SYMTDI.VXD
NAVAP.VXD

please Advice me vat i shud do to bring back my sys to the previous state,
Is there any way other than re-installing the Os?

Thanx in Advance
-keves-

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well how about just googleing and downloading the files... :)

then place them on both windows and windows/system and windows/system32 directories (as i am not sure where the files belongs) :)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Or find these 2 files in Win 98 Setup (there should be many CAB files, in which u can get these 2 files). Just type *.cab in find box and SYMTDI.VXD in containing text box. Similar do the same for the second file.

Sykora

I see right through you.
It's a bigger problem than that, I fear. It's happened to me once before. I dug out the files from my CD and as soon as they were replaced, more 'missing' error messages came up. I did this about 10 times before I gave up and reinstalled. As far as I know, there is no way to resolve it. Try to back up your data and reinstall.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
ANd what about simply run the setup again? DOn't format the drive but run 98 setup again, it'll repair the existing windows and I think it should work.

OP
K

keves2002

I just deleted both .VXD fils from the registry, Now that .VXD Missing Error is not showing, But i am Getting a SYSTEM.INI file Error.

@Vishal : How to run the setup, pleas explain, i am not sure about that.

I Deleted the .VXD files from this location

Hkeylocal/system/currentcontrolset/services/VXD/

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Boot using the CD and run the setup again!
Or
In windows, insert ur Setup CD or from the DUMP (stored on ur HDD) run the Windows Setup.

OP
K

keves2002

Did i have to backup important files before runing the setup?

tuxfan

Technomancer
You don't "have to" back-up important files, but its always advisable doing it! Or at least remove them from the C drive where Windows will be installed.

BTW, what did you do that started giving these errors? .vxd files are device driver files. They must have been called from 2 places - registry and system.ini file. You have removed the entries from registry. Now remove them even from system.ini file and see. As you are already on the verge of a re-install, try this before doing that.

OP
K

keves2002

hi,

The following is the ERROR i am getting rt now.

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application

The Windows Registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its inunstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANTEC\SYMEVNT.386
Press a key to continue.

@tux
Please advice me how to remove it from the system.ini, as i am not sure about it.

Thanks
-keves-

tuxfan

Technomancer
Symantec! :eek: That means your Norton Anti-Virus needs this file to function properly! Uninstall NAV and re-install. When it Anti-Virus, you can't take chances!!

Your uninstalltion of NAV may not work properly. You will have to do a few things more than just remove it from Add/Remove. Go to *www.symantec.com and search for "Remove NAV xxxx" where xxxx is the version number.

As for system.ini file, search for it in C:\Windows or use the file finder. Open it in notepad and search for this VXD file. But I will now not recommend doing this, since its a security issue. Just re-install NAV.

OP
K

keves2002

Norton Anti-Virus i had uninstalled it long time back,[ now i am using Avast] but presently i am using WINFAX PRO[ hope this also belongs to SYMANTEC],

I find the .VXD file in c:/windows & i open it in the Notepad, but i am not sure what i have to do next,

As a result of all these problems, i am not able to use a no of applications [ most of them i am not even able to open it]
*Yahoo messenger
*Windows Media player [ showing an internal erroe occured]
*Yahoo Mail [ not able to delete any messeges, infact that delete button is not working]

Last edited by a moderator:

tuxfan

Technomancer
Oops!! You don't have to open .vxd file in notepad! You have to open system.ini file!

Did you try re-installing WinFax? Secondly, NAV leaves behind a lot of things even if its uninstalled. So get info from symantaec's site on how to remove it completely from your system.

IMO, I will try everything else first and if all fail, only then go for a re-install.

satyamy

Alive Again...
use some registry checker to check & repair ur registry

their is one best registry repair but that come in Norton System Works 2005

Last edited:

uttoransen

Broken In
try the sfc

well 98, i have almost stoppen using, still you can use the sfc command, just start ==> run ==> sfc and the sfc comes up, sfc: system file checker,
it will replace your couroupted/missing system files,

i still think that the file you are talking is of some software that has been uninstalled, it comes at the time of start ups, a total repair of 98 will solve this problem, try uninstalling the sound and the network drivers and re-install them, still if it dose not solve, mail at uttoransen@yahoo.com i will tell you more,

OP
K

keves2002

Nothing happened till this time, last i try the following solution from Microsoft

*support.microsoft.com/kb/132008/EN-US/

After that i am facing serious problem , Now i am getting a new ERROR

"Error loading w98 setup.bin' , Now i am not even able to boot windows, i think windows is already correpted, As i am having dual OS, i am using XP now,
As this is my office pc, i have to clear it soon, is it time 4 re-installing the win98? or did i have to wait 4 more time?

-keves-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom