win 7 vs win xp

spm

Journeyman
i am confused about the win 7 and win xp os
i want to know which is better.
i have seen that for the same games at the same settings gives better fps in xp. so xp is less taxing on the system and that will increase the overall system performance. so since the operating system is supposed to provide a platform for the system i think xp is better. i know there may be many things in 7 but i thing most of them are for high end systems. for example the ultra high settings in the games for dx11.

Win7 ofcourse Dude !! Xp is primitive and one has hard time installing more ram running it on Intel iCore processors. Morevoer you are restricted to Dx9.0c in Xp but you can avail the benefits of DX11 in Win7. 7 is more secure and has got better functionality and looks and in 7's Ultimate and Enterprise versions, Bitlocker is available for Drive encryption making data safe from crashes or any unwanted intrusions. You must be on an avg. system thats why you are experiencing a downfall in fps from 7 to Xp. Xp is less damanding but 7 is the OS of future and moreover Microsoft has dropped the supoort for Xp and Vista RTM. So why keeping an OS whose updates and SP are no longer be available. Are you going to buy Win7 ???

Last edited:

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
^xp is supported till 2014 dude.

I have both installed xp and 7, but personally prefer xp over 7 coz I am too well set on my super customized xp and there are few annoying things in vista/7 that drive me nuts!!.

Last edited:
I said RTM support is gone... not actual one. I too have Xp and win7 in dual boot.
To add more choices i will say - Arch, Sabayon, openSUSE and Ubuntu(always the best choice).

pushkar

Journeyman
To add more choices i will say - Arch, Sabayon, openSUSE and Ubuntu(always the best choice).
Awesome suggestion for someone who is looking to be gaming on the OS. [/sarcasm]

@spm, unless you have an old computer with like a Pentium D or Pentium 4 Processor and 1 GB of RAM, you should use Windows 7. XP is really outdated now; Windows 7 has much better features and security, and you are also not limited to DirectX 9, like in XP. If you have something like 3 GB or more RAM, XP won't be able to efficiently utilize that memory. Same case with multicore processors.

i know there may be many things in 7 but i thing most of them are for high end systems.
That's not true at all. Even as a casual user/gamer, you will surely notice a lot of (pleasant) differences moving from XP to Windows 7. There are a lot of improvements, which you may not notice at first, but you will be thankful for them later.

I will give the example of automatic disk defragmentation. Even after about 8 months of using Windows 7, whenever I analyze my computer's hard disk using a defrag utility, it is never more than 2%, because Windows 7 keeps defragmenting the hard disk in the background when the computer is idle.

Have a look at this Wikipedia page for a quick glance on new features of Windows 7 - Click

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i have seen that for the same games at the same settings gives better fps in xp. so xp is less taxing on the system and that will increase the overall system performance. so since the operating system is supposed to provide a platform for the system i think xp is better. i know there may be many things in 7 but i thing most of them are for high end systems. for example the ultra high settings in the games for dx11.

there is simply no comparison

windows 7 >>>>>> xp

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

What system configuration you have. It depends, what you got, and what you want to do with the system/OS.

OP
S

spm

Journeyman
am sure both have its pros and cons and win 7 is not always better than xp..
for example when i tried to connect a xp desktop to win 7 using a crossover cable it was hell lot of trouble for me and in the end i was able to access the win 7 netbook from the xp desktop but not the reverse. and i even now don't know how to do that much again as i had to play with the options for nearly 3 hours........

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

actually i am not concerned of the visual enhancements
and about the system i use... its a p4 now and with windows xp sp3
and i plan to change it to amd athlon II x4 630 or better based system within 2-3 months so am doing my research and finilising on the os before the config..
and i will be multi booting it with Linux most probably opensuse

hyipbucks

Right off the assembly line
I think it entirely depends on what you're looking for. I was at a conference hosted by Omar Patryn a few weeks ago, and he was saying that alot of businesses are going to keep operating on the XP platform just because its what they know, and what they've developed all their systems for. When it comes to a home computer, switching over to a new system is pretty fast and easy, but when its a bank for example, alot more complicated.

I think alot of ATMS and things even use XP.

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived

I have both installed xp and 7, but personally prefer xp over 7 coz I am too well set on my super customized xp and there are few annoying things in vista/7 that drive me nuts!!.
I am the same thinking guy as the cute bandar. I use 7 for merely gaming.

hunch

Right off the assembly line
If you are planning to go for a new system then why not use new OS windows 7, which is also very good. Also Microsoft is going to stop support for Windows XP in near future (mostly by 2 yrs) so always go for windows 7

duh

Broken In
can we add more choices ?? i like windows 3.0 the best !!

[sarcasm]
msdos 6.1,
linus torvalds used dos 1.0 to compile linux.
[/sarcasm]

try both, see which one you like most and comfortable with and stick with it. whats so itching:shock: about this?

Top Bottom