Will WD passport overheat if kept in a case

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Ok, so here's a funny question. I've heard of friends killing their hard disks by dropping them (even slight falls kill a hard disk that is running). I've been using my WD Mypassport for booting my windows to go and I'm really scared that this might happen. So I got a case from Amazon (this one Saco Shock Proof External Hard Disk Case for Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0 (Black) - Black - Buy Saco Shock Proof External Hard Disk Case for Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0 (Black) - Black Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.i). So can i keep my hard disk in this permanently or do I have the risk of the drive overheating ? In which case how do I protect it and not let it overheat?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I've been using WD essentials hard drive inside a thick case (just like you've shared above) from past 3-4 years and haven't faced any problems till now. However, I use it less often, like 2-3 times a week..that only for an hour or two.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
My use is also about 2-3 hours a day only. I've been keeping the case partly open to allow airflow. Seems like the best option

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=8593]izzikio_rage[/MENTION]
Please review the case if you buy it.

If we use an external hdd to watch videos for say 2-4 hours a day, then will it be okay? It can be connected to a pc or phone btw.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
[MENTION=8593]izzikio_rage[/MENTION]
Please review the case if you buy it.

If we use an external hdd to watch videos for say 2-4 hours a day, then will it be okay? It can be connected to a pc or phone btw.
u can use Ext HDD 24x7 with no issues at all only thing is read/write will anyway decrease its life each time u use it

billubakra

Conversation Architect
u can use Ext HDD 24x7 with no issues at all only thing is read/write will anyway decrease its life each time u use it

I read somewhere that if we access external hdd's way too frequently, on a daily basis mostly, then the read write quality/speed is degraded at a higher rate so that is why I asked that question.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I also have a WD passport, also use it as Windows To Go Drive, I believe its safe.. Use it atleast 5-6 hours a day, doesnt heat as much as you describe

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Cool, got the case, quality is amazing, I'm sure it'll guard against small drops and stuff.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I read somewhere that if we access external hdd's way too frequently, on a daily basis mostly, then the read write quality/speed is degraded at a higher rate so that is why I asked that question.
U need to check the extensive tests they do in labs on every HDD and decide for how many hours u have to use it ;)
every storage device has a lifespan and will end eventually

100 Yrs is more than enough for us...isn't it :doublethumb:

*www.coolinfographics.com/storage/post-images/storage-media-lifespan.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344973794072

billubakra

Conversation Architect
U need to check the extensive tests they do in labs on every HDD and decide for how many hours u have to use it ;)
every storage device has a lifespan and will end eventually

100 Yrs is more than enough for us...isn't it :doublethumb:

*www.coolinfographics.com/storage/post-images/storage-media-lifespan.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344973794072
100 is more than enough. I just don't want it to give up on me instantly and make all my data go haywire so that is why I avoid using it for long.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In real life no hdd is going to last 100 years,if it lasts even 10 years consider yourself lucky.Temperature of a hdd is quite dependent on surrounding temperature so if you keep a hdd running 24 hours in an ac room with 20C temperature then no issue at all.Also the golden rule regarding hdd is always assume it to fail at any time & make a backup strategy accordingly.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
In real life no hdd is going to last 100 years,if it lasts even 10 years consider yourself lucky.Temperature of a hdd is quite dependent on surrounding temperature so if you keep a hdd running 24 hours in an ac room with 20C temperature then no issue at all.Also the golden rule regarding hdd is always assume it to fail at any time & make a backup strategy accordingly.
Regarding the golden rule, if that's the case then even 10 backup's in 10 different hdd's are not safe.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,but then even a person's life is not guaranteed for the next minute.It all comes down to how much value you put to your data.If it is just movies & music then all you need to get is an unlimited 20mbps connection(available in big cities nowadays) & 1 month & you can rebuild your collection.If it is something that is rare to find nowadays then you make 2 copies of it,keep one in second hdd & upload one copy to some online storage like google drive,one drive etc.If it is very very rare & very very valuable then you make 10 copies of it,keep it in 10 different hdd & then keep these 10 different hdd in 10 different cities spread all over the world.As you said even then it is not guaranteed but then chances of you being hurt in a random accident is more than chances of 10 different hdd in 10 different cities spread all over the world getting destroyed.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes,but then even a person's life is not guaranteed for the next minute.It all comes down to how much value you put to your data.If it is just movies & music then all you need to get is an unlimited 20mbps connection(available in big cities nowadays) & 1 month & you can rebuild your collection.If it is something that is rare to find nowadays then you make 2 copies of it,keep one in second hdd & upload one copy to some online storage like google drive,one drive etc.If it is very very rare & very very valuable then you make 10 copies of it,keep it in 10 different hdd & then keep these 10 different hdd in 10 different cities spread all over the world.As you said even then it is not guaranteed but then chances of you being hurt in a random accident is more than chances of 10 different hdd in 10 different cities spread all over the world getting destroyed.
Couldn't agree more Sir.

Top Bottom