Will Vista 64 run with 1 Gb RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydraHeaded

Broken In
Alright, me's a very poor guy - haven't eaten for three days at a stretch (in a hotel), and me's got only one GB of RAM. So is it of any use to install Vista 64? Or XP 64?

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Yes it will, but slow, faster than a Vista32 though.

Recommended 2GB for best results.

XP64, go ahead, no probs...

OP
H

HydraHeaded

Broken In
Actually, I've already installed Vista 64, and it hangs up (keeps on processing) every few moments. Will switching to Vista 32 increase the performance at all? I thought 64 bit stuff was supposed to be faster.

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
which proc are you having? Vista 64 bit runs smoothly on my intel p4 64 bit, 1 GB RAM... hell... i even am able to run Crysis smoothly at low settings with this :razz:

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
^^Which GPU do you use?

Here is a config
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.81 GHz
512 MB DDR 400 MHz RAM
XFX Geforce 6600GT 256 MB

Is it possible to run Vista without any quirks on this machine by upgrading the RAM?

OP
H

HydraHeaded

Broken In
Hey, my PC is P4 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, though the RAM is shared: 128 MB is eaten by the onboard graphics card. Then how come others are able to run it, while I cannot?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Vista (32-bit) ran without any issues on my machine (Had tried it around a year ago, dunno about SP1 performance)

Intel P4 3.0GHz (Prescott)
2 x 512 MB DDR 400MHz RAM (Hynix)
256 MB 7600GT GeForce AGP-Card (BIG)

Though I sometimes had to disable a few services and features in order to get certain applications running better, Vista by itself didn't create any problems. But yeah it does feel slightly less responsive than XP when you use it, and that is why I gave it up in like a month of trial.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Better stay with XP, if your hardware isn't up to the mark.
Vista requires a good 2 GB RAM to perform smoothly.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Actually, I've already installed Vista 64, and it hangs up (keeps on processing) every few moments. Will switching to Vista 32 increase the performance at all? I thought 64 bit stuff was supposed to be faster.

Yes, so, if u shift to Vista 32, the performance will only be more amusing(and frustrating).

So, XP 64 bit for you.

himtuna

Journeyman
64 bit ran like charm here.
Dont run too many apps. But the CS3, office 7 and rest ..it was working fine.
I download like hell, so have to switch back to xp ( 12 GB avg space just for the OS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom