will tv tuner burn my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neyo

Broken In
i'm really interested in investing in a tv tuner card but i'm afraid that i'm going to burn my mobo. i've heard that the cable wire has too much power and someone told me that there is a small connector which should be attached b/w the cable wire and the card which doesn't allow power to enter the card except the channel waves. is there really such a connector/filter available? if so what do they call it? is there anything i can connect to the cable or do something that will help me prevent my mobo from getting burned?

btw can anyone give me the details for mediatech dealers in hyderabad? i'm going to buy a comprovideomate pvr card.

medpal

Medic on Call!!
neyo said:
i'm really interested in investing in a tv tuner card but i'm afraid that i'm going to burn my mobo. i've heard that the cable wire has too much power and someone told me that there is a small connector which should be attached b/w the cable wire and the card which doesn't allow power to enter the card except the channel waves. is there really such a connector/filter available? if so what do they call it? is there anything i can connect to the cable or do something that will help me prevent my mobo from getting burned?

btw can anyone give me the details for mediatech dealers in hyderabad? i'm going to buy a comprovideomate pvr card.

i have never heard or seen a mobo being burnt by tv tuner card. infact i use myself a pinnacle tv tuner card for last 4 years.

secondly you have to disconnect your tv cable during monsoon days especially during storm time so that any surge does not enter your system.

i do not know of any connector you are mentioning i would also like some knowledge on it if it exists.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Power, Never heard of that. I think the cable carries AV signal. Dont worry, the guy who told this to you needs to get up earlier and study technology hard:)

Eazy

Journeyman
neyo said:
i've heard that the cable wire has too much power and someone told me that there is a small connector which should be attached b/w the cable wire and the card which doesn't allow power to enter the card except the channel waves. is there really such a connector/filter available?

YES there is such a gizmo available it is built into UPS's .... most UPS's have these built in them in the form of LAN cable spike protecion via RJ45 connectors - I know my APC UPS has it and I use it to protect my computer from any spikes from my Broad Band line which is supplied via the cablewallas TV overhead wires. A lightning hit to the TV overhead wires and your unprotected computer will be burned TOAST :)

shantanu

Technomancer
It is correct that cable wire can have current in it, if and only if your amplifier is leaked or shorting, if your amplifier is well covered , so no need to worry and there is a surge circuit breaker which is a fuse type organism with a very sensitive fuse wire which shorts itself if a 5v or upper supply is sent over it, EXCLUDING THE AV SIGNAL.. GO TO A ELECTRONICS ShOP AND GET A suRGE BREAKER FOR YOUR TV and as you have the same port on the tv tuner as behind tv so it will work for your TV tuner also

47shailesh

Security Exp
Same here, i have also never heard of burning of mobo as such...

Even if it worries you then you can go for "External tv tunner"..
;)

Eazy

Journeyman
shantanu_webmaster said:
GO TO A ELECTRONICS ShOP AND GET A suRGE BREAKER FOR YOUR TV

Is this what is built into the UPS's LAN protection RJ45 ports ?

A shop I used to buy computer hardware from had 2 shops across the road to each other and they had 11 computers connected via a wired LAN - one day lightning hit the LAN cable in the middle of the 2 buildings and all 11 computers had the LAN card burnt and in some computers other parts were also damaged - like mobo's ram display cards.

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
NO the ups which has built in RJ45 is somewhat different but you cannot have cable tv connected by that, so you have to purchase asurge breaker separately and it will cost you rs. 60/- only/-
The ups one is different and APC give only to OPTICAL FIBRE AND LAN OR MODEM CONNECTIONS NOT TO CABLES COaxial

47shailesh

Security Exp
Eazy said:
one day lightning hit the LAN cable in the middle of the 2 buildings and all 11 computers had the LAN card burnt and in some computers other parts were also damaged - like mobo's ram display cards.

Dude if cable wires carries huge signal than home TV users will be the one to be most scared.... Cable wire carreis power enough to keep the carrier signal alive....

LAN wire also carries power signal (google PoE LAN)...but again its vry low in amplitude

And as far as catching lighting is concerned it can be a case when the building it too high ar an anttena,tall metal stucture is there near by else lighting does'nt get cables wire that easily.. (for details google van de graff generator principle)

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
shantanu_webmaster said:
It is correct that cable wire can have current in it, if and only if your amplifier is leaked or shorting, if your amplifier is well covered , so no need to worry and there is a surge circuit breaker which is a fuse type organism with a very sensitive fuse wire which shorts itself if a 5v or upper supply is sent over it, EXCLUDING THE AV SIGNAL.. GO TO A ELECTRONICS ShOP AND GET A suRGE BREAKER FOR YOUR TV and as you have the same port on the tv tuner as behind tv so it will work for your TV tuner also

i agree with u shantanu

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
shantanu_webmaster said:
External tuners cannot have recording features etc.
No, External TV Tuner Cards which has got a USB interface can have recording features.

Have a look at this Product from Pinnacle Systems

shantanu

Technomancer
I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MEDIA CENETRS

FACT: External TV tuners EXCEPT EXTERNAL MEDIA CENTERS CANNOT HAVE RECORDING FEATURES... AND PINNACLE , NVIDIA AND RENOWNED COMPANIES CAN .. buit with a USB cord not simple one

shantanu

Technomancer
The External TV tuner Cards which have recording features VIA USB and can be have 5 DIFFERENT bands are called external media centers :D

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
shantanu_webmaster said:
The External TV tuner Cards which have recording features VIA USB and can be have 5 DIFFERENT bands are called external media centers :D

Ok, didn't know about this.
Thanx for the info.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom