Will there be any incompatbilty if i put a 1gb ram with my existing 2*256=512 ram????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi i have a 915 gav intel orignal motherboard, i have 2*256=512mb ram.
i have 4 sokects for ram in which 2 are occupied by 2 strips of 256 mb ram each.
i am planning to buy 1gb more of ram. but i was told by a vendor that if i put 1gb single strip ram then it will not work.
he said ram's are always used in double like 2 strips of 256 = 512 or 2 strips of 512=1gb.
now i plan to add more ram in the future and i only have 2 empty slots, so i was thinking of buying 1 strip of 1gb now, and 1gb later on.
but now i have to buy 2 strips of 512 to make 1 gb.this will occupy my all 4 slots.and so i won't be able to add more ram later on.

is it true that ram's are used in double like he says??
and also the prices i found are 2500/- for hynix and 3000/- for transcend 1gb ddr1 ram.are these prices allright????

also i have heard that hynix rams are often duplicate and not reliiable, also it comes loose whereas transcend comes packed.
which one should i buy??

sagsall4u

Journeyman
what he says is right to an extent. u use 2 ram chips in dual mode for better performance. I'd say you sell those 256 mb chips and buy 2*1 gb ram chips of the same clock speed( like 667 mhz ....) Whatever you buy it must be of the same speed.
Go for transcend or kingston ram modules . they are good.
the price for 1 ram chip(1gb) is around 1900 bucks if its DDR@ but if its ddr the it will be around 3grands. pls wait for more replies to confirm this.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
sagsall4u said:
what he says is right to an extent. u use 2 ram chips in dual mode for better performance. I'd say you sell those 256 mb chips and buy 2*1 gb ram chips of the same clock speed( like 667 mhz ....) Whatever you buy it must be of the same speed.
Go for transcend or kingston ram modules . they are good.
the price for 1 ram chip(1gb) is around 1900 bucks if its DDR@ but if its ddr the it will be around 3grands. pls wait for more replies to confirm this.

hey buddy nice info can u tell me can i check my RAM clock speed using any

software ?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
you can add 1 Gb RAM with your existing RAM (2*256) sets.No problem with that.However RAM sets better in dual mode.While buying new RAM..just keep in mind that the new RAM is of same type and of same frequency that you are using currently.

If you have dout.....just have a check.Add a new RAm(same frequency+type)..and than see the my computer property.

coolendra

Neil is Here...
ravi_9793 said:
you can add 1 Gb RAM with your existing RAM (2*256) sets.No problem with that.However RAM sets better in dual mode.While buying new RAM..just keep in mind that the new RAM is of same type and of same frequency that you are using currently.

If you have dout.....just have a check.Add a new RAm(same frequency+type)..and than see the my computer property.

yes i agree...... before buying jst chk the frequency nd ram types..nd ur problem will be resolved..!!...

sagsall4u

Journeyman
Re: Will there be any incompatbilty if i put a 1gb ram with my existing 2*256=512 ram

saurabh kakkar said:
hey buddy nice info can u tell me can i check my RAM clock speed using any

software ?
ty man . U can check ur ram specs by using CPU-Z or EVEREST .. just google or go to download.com. And if your ram chips arent of the same speed or if ur mobo doesnt support it itall chips will work on the lowest supported freq. which is money down the drain.

also refer to this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61448

Last edited:
OP
tango_cash

tango_cash

In the zone
Re: Will there be any incompatbilty if i put a 1gb ram with my existing 2*256=512 ram

I ran the program cpu-z on my computer and when I looked in the ram section it said pc3200 200mhz. Does this mean that my ram is running at 200mhz or something else. And if it is my ram how can I get it to run at 400mhz like it is suppose to?

*img131.imageshack.us/img131/687/cpuzej2.th.jpg

also when i went in the BIOS the ram was shown at 400 MHz.what is happening here????

Last edited:

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead

tango_cash said:
I ran the program cpu-z on my computer and when I looked in the ram section it said pc3200 200mhz. Does this mean that my ram is running at 200mhz or something else. And if it is my ram how can I get it to run at 400mhz like it is suppose to?

*img131.imageshack.us/img131/687/cpuzej2.th.jpg

also when i went in the BIOS the ram was shown at 400 MHz.what is happening here????

are yaar cpu-z on my computer is showing a speed of 133mhz i think the

best way is to check the speed manually by taking out the RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom