Will there be a Problem with 2MB buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gannu_rox

In the zone
Hey guys,

Down there u can see my rig.
But I found that my SATA drive has only 2 MB buffer.
Is there a performance decrease cos of that?

By-the-by I bought this drive as SATA II. How ca I verify that? When I verified with Seagate's site with the serial No., they jus mentioned it as SATA.
Should I download any additional drivers?

CPU-Z shows this ram runs @ 200.9 Mhz in single channel. What's the problem?

Farcry runs fine at all the high settings. But the water being displayed shows awkward @ Ultra Quality(But fine with Medium Quality). What's the problem then?

What's the approx. 3dmarks'06 or 3dmarks'05 score with this rig? (Not yet verified)

Please help
Ganesh

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
gan12320021 said:
Hey guys,

Down there u can see my rig.

By-the-by I bought this drive as SATA II. How ca I verify that? When I verified with Seagate's site with the serial No., they jus mentioned it as SATA.

Ganesh
Well having a 2MB of buffer will put a little load on the processor and ram...

Are u sure the drive has only 2 MB of buffer..which software did u use to find it?
Coz usually even optic drives have a 2 MB of buffer.....

Do u have 2 memory modules...if yes then put them in the same coloured slots then it would be working in dual channel mode...

OP
G

gannu_rox

In the zone
Hey Samrulez,

Thanx for the reply.

But I checked with the seagate drive's website. They asked me 2 enter the serial no. They'd display the details after that.

I saw there as 2MB. But from Nehru place, SMC International, I asked the person to give me a SATA 2 drive; I asked him the buffer. He replied 8 MB.

Regarding Memo modules, I jus have 1 module in single channel.
Please help.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
gan12320021 said:
Hey Samrulez,

Thanx for the reply.
Regarding Memo modules, I jus have 1 module in single channel.
Please help.

Nope...without 2 modules u cannot enable dual channel mode..u should have gone for 512 X2 memory modules....

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

2 MB .. are u sure ??? SATA should be having 8 MB ... hmm .. nothing much to worry ... u might get a slight more access time ,, and a little less read + write bandwidth

Well ... everest should give u a detailed info on the hdd ..... google and download it and check ..

Are u using a single module ??? or if ur using two diff. modules then make sure they are placed in consecutive slots to enable dual channel in ur mobo ... Also ... ur ram operating frequency is actually 200 MHz.. ... being ddr its rated at ddr400 ...

Farcry runs fine at all the high settings. But the water being displayed shows awkward @ Ultra Quality(But fine with Medium Quality). What's the problem then?

Cos ur card has SM3.0 .... u'll either need to patch the game to its latest ver. .. or run the game in OpenGL mode (open system.cfg file in installation directory with notepad , search for "Direct3D9" ... replace with "OpenGL" ,, save and run)

What's the approx. 3dmarks'06 or 3dmarks'05 score with this rig? (Not yet verified)

Well .. ur 3500+ will be a bit of a bottleneck ... about 8k's in 3DMark05 i think ... and 4.5k's in 3DMar06 i think ... not sure though ...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
gan12320021 wrote,
" By-the-by I bought this drive as SATA II. How ca I verify that? When I verified with Seagate's site with the serial No., they jus mentioned it as SATA."

I am not sure about Seagate, but when I bought my Hitachi 80 GB SATA II, it was shown as SATA I by the OS. I thought I was cheated by the vendor, but when I searched the Hitachi web site I came to know that their HDDs are shipped as SATA I so as to be compatible with older Mobos and you simply have to download a small utility to upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom