Will my motherboard be compatible with my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit

Broken In
I have the following mobo ECS P4VMM2. I am planning to buy a geforce fx 5200 graphics card. Will it be compatible with my mobo? I have also seen some cheap geforce fx 5200 graphics cards on baazee.com. Are they worth buying?

swatkat

Technomancer
ur motherboard has an AGP 4X slot.
So u can use the FX 5200,even though FX 5200 is available in 8X,it will work in 4X also.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Whether it's worth buying those cards is really upto you. Serious gamers with a generous budget will sniff disdainfully at gfx cards in the FX5200 class, but if gaming's not a vital part of your life, or if you have a limited budget, an FX5200 will give a reasonable performance with most games.

Keep in mind that there are different versions of FX5200 - SE, plain and ultra versions. There's a significant difference in performance (and price) between the different versions.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Trust ME Buddy If u Wanna Go for a Graphics card Then GO In For a ATi Radeon Series (Atleast U will Get Decent and Playable Fps's outta ur game) or The Geforce Fx5700 or Mx440 with 128 MB Video Ram(If Possible Go in for a S-video or Composite Input Along with the card)......Cause Fx 5200 Is Not Worth The price u pay for and The One u see On bazee Are Much Cheaper Ones....Since ur Motherboard is Only 4X Compatible Dont invest in for a 8X Card.....So Choose Wisely Mate....If u are in Mumbai Try Browsing Through Lamigton Road and Find a Perfect Shop which will Give Ya Proper Info On This Card and Its Substitues....Happy Buying 8)

nix

hi

just search the forum buddy. you'll get all the info. much more than that.

nix

hi

i'am going to upgrade my computer in a year's time. so till then i've decided that i'll manage with an FX 5200 ultra. its good for a while. even i've got 4X AGP. my computer is a P3 866MHZ with 128MB RAM. so if i buy this graphics card, will i be able to play some new games. or will i have to add another 128 MB ram?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Re: hi

nix said:
i'am going to upgrade my computer in a year's time. so till then i've decided that i'll manage with an FX 5200 ultra. its good for a while. even i've got 4X AGP. my computer is a P3 866MHZ with 128MB RAM. so if i buy this graphics card, will i be able to play some new games. or will i have to add another 128 MB ram?
Yes. 128MB is very small by today's standard. You'll see a significant performance gain by adding another 128MB.

However, as you are planning to overhaul your whole system in the not-too-distant future, I suggest you get a 128MB version of the FX5200-U card instead of 256MB. The 256MB version costs more but it will not make a lot of difference in performance.

OP
G

gambit

Broken In
I have decided on buying an fx 5200 card since I have a limited budget.
So cld anyone suggest which company I should buy one from- asus, XFX,....?
Cld u also mention the specifications I should look for & also the total amount the card will come for?
I would also be glad to look into ATi Radeon series but I have really no knowledge of those cards.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well If u Wanna Go For Fx5200 Then Go in for A Pine Series Which is Efficient for now....The Xfx Will Be a Cheap Substitute.....If Possible Try to Get it With a Tv-Out And a S-Video or Composite Input....The Card will easily Come in for and under 2k.....And Considering a ATi Would be an excellent option if possible Go for a 9600 But as ur budget dosent permit it...Then Wait a While Mate.... :D

OP
G

gambit

Broken In
My budget's somewhere between Rs. 3000-4000. So cld I go for a Radeon crd instead of a geforce? If yes cld u pls. suggest one?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
It's not like if your budget is above a certain amount you can go for an ATI card. Both nVidia cards and ATI cards come in a wide price range, and performances vary accordingly.

I think allwyndlima underestimated the price of an FX5200. You won't get it for 2k. At that price it will be a good bargain even for a second-hand non-ultra FX5200.

For about 4k you may be able to get an FX5600 or the equivalent in an ATI Radeon. I'm not sure about current prices for these cards. An FX5700 will be around 6k.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
pimpom said:
I think allwyndlima underestimated the price of an FX5200.

Well I suppose My Friend Just Got in a Brand New one For and under 2k or To say it can be 2,500 at the max(looks like he has some great contacts i.e :wink: )....Same goes for Geforce Mx 440 My friend Just Wanted to sell out a brand new 8x Agp With 128MB Video Ram With Dvi-out for 2k (Which was Imported to be precise)........But the thing is Pimpom u can get it at lamigton road at this fair deal i.e Mostly the 2k or the 3k range for an Fx5200 with a good amount of bargaining,i suppose 8) ......And yea if u are that so called " I want Original Box Packed kinda guy" Then The Price Can vary to Great extent mate......And lastly For the Ati Radeon Well Just check out Bazee's Prices to just get a rough idea as to how Much most cards cost and thier specs *www.baazee.com/jsp/BidForm.jsp?Trade_TradeId=28032284 :)

OP
G

gambit

Broken In
Cld somebody tell me what's the geforce fx 5200 equivalent of an ATi Radeon chipset & also that of an fx 5600, fx 5700?
And what wld be the price difference in these crds?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
gambit said:
Cld somebody tell me what's the geforce fx 5200 equivalent of an ATi Radeon chipset & also that of an fx 5600, fx 5700?
And what wld be the price difference in these crds?

The 9600 series is the competitor for the 5600, fx5700.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
And an FX5200 would be approximately equivalent to a Radeon 9200.

@allwyndlima : If you got a full 128-bit FX5200 (not the crippled 64-bit version) for 2k, you have good sources. Good for you and your friend. But the average buyer will find it kinda hard to get it at that price. I've known examples of that kind of source too. E.g., when the average street price of a 52x CD-Writer was still about 2.5k, there were places where you could get them for 1.5k, and a Moser-Baer CD-R for Rs.6 each, to cite just two examples.

But I usually avoid such sources because I've known many buyers who thought they got a really good bargain, only to find that they'd bought a fake relabelled product, or factory rejects that had failed to pass a manufacturer's quality control, but had found their way into retail outlets through the black market.

I'm NOT saying that one should always buy from the giant posh outlets who have such high overheads running their fancy places that they have to charge you 50% more than the less prestigious shops. No. But watch out when you are offered something at well below average street price.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
pimpom said:
And an FX5200 would be approximately equivalent to a Radeon 9200.

@allwyndlima : If you got a full 128-bit FX5200 (not the crippled 64-bit version) for 2k, you have good sources. Good for you and your friend. But the average buyer will find it kinda hard to get it at that price. I've known examples of that kind of source too. E.g., when the average street price of a 52x CD-Writer was still about 2.5k, there were places where you could get them for 1.5k, and a Moser-Baer CD-R for Rs.6 each, to cite just two examples.

I'm NOT saying that one should always buy from the giant posh outlets who have such high overheads running their fancy places that they have to charge you 50% more than the less prestigious shops. No. But watch out when you are offered something at well below average street price.

Perfect point U make out there mate.....Completely agree with ya 8) ....But hey come on we all get good bargains and in Our democratic country it should be our Right...Lol :lol: .....Anyways The Point is usually These Things Work out well in case of most Graphic cards as they might have been shipped....Hence Reduing Their Duty Prices and hence give a fair deal for its performance as well.....But hey nothing is stable here too The Problems Would rather Involve Heatsink Fan Busting out in a few months.....Driver issues And some other may be......So Well its usually a fair enough otion to Buy from this places if u are not that Much price and quality consious :D.....Anyways @Gambit Well as Such for now The Geforce Fx 5200 Is and could be the Closest competitor of The Ati 9600 Or The 9200 Graphic Card But the Specs do vary out much in terms of actual Graphic Processing..... 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom