Will buying a new build be any good for me ?

Hever

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: No gaming. MAINLY SURFING + Music + Some music videos + youtube + libreoffice. Right now no video encoding too. But maybe only once a week in future.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I am open to spending starting from the minimum to maximum. You can say minimum i want is a dual core (latest) but can spend upto i7 3770k. Although i would like to spend only whats reasonable.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes but not only upto a GOOD OC.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 64-bit home prem.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: LIKE 2 TB HDD + 128GB SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: ABOVE SIZE 23". RESOLUTION MIN. 1680 x 1050 MAXIMUM NO LIMIT. but within Rs. 13k - 20k. 16k+ only if its that good.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As soon as possible.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi. Yes open to buy online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have a 4 core AMd X4 630 - but it still feels sluggish after some higher browsing (multiple tabs). I thought a multicore cpu will 'SNAPPY' at time i purchased but have not discovered so. So really are multiple cores the answer to the pc becoming slow after some moderate to heavy browsing or some other apps ?

Hi everyone,

Have watched this forum many times before but now i am really thinking of upgrading ram or even buying new build. So have written up my query.

I have a current setup of a old desktop, which i am thinking of upgrading (if possible with more 4gb ddr2 ram at 400mhz) / or replacing (wholly), but am not sure if the problem i am facing will not happen if i build even a new replaced one - see later downwards.

Right now my setup is -

Cpu - amd x4 630 2.8Ghz ( 4 core )
Mobo - biostar ta785ge 128m
Ram - 3gb ddr2 400mhz
Gpu - nvidia geforce gt430
Os - windows 7 home premium 64-bit.
Hdd - 2 wd blue 500 gb and 1 seagate 500 gb
Psu - gigabyte superb 460w psu
Led - 1680x1050 asus 23 inch led

Not the greatest config, but i am a non-gamer and basically have usage of mainly surfing only + music - winamp, some videos, some youtube surfing as well and libre office (used infrequently). Though i am looking forward to buy nuance home naturally speaking, if u guys suggest that its better than windows 7 speech recognition inbuilt in win7.

The problem i am having is my desktop becoming sluggish. Even though i have a 4 core cpu and 3gb ram, the problem occurs that when i browse, my browsers ( all of them - google chrome to firefox to opera to maxthon) start lagging when i visit either more than 40+ sites or some 4-5 a bit heavier sites. Have mainly more than 50+ 70+ tabs opened at all times. But not all those of 50 are the heavy sites - only say 3-10 of them are.

I mainly have used firefox 10.0.1 Portable from portableapps.Com, google chrome v20 portable latest, maxthon 2 and opera portable latest. Firefox has mainly only some 5-6 addons installed and a persona - and they are really good ones and not heavy, so the extensions are not the problem, as i dont keep the heavy ones.

Also the 75% memory used problem in windows 7 is really bad to me - my pc - even if there is everything alright - but as soon as my pc memory is used upto 68% more about - it starts becoming very slow in responding. Did the google research on it and tried both - disabling page file as well as then setting it up as 300mb on c drive + major page file on other hard disk partition - but result has been still that after 70% memory used up - pc becomes quite unresponsive.

Some things that are NOT an issue at all -

1) All drivers are latest (nvidia, realtek). I know of all main tweaks like not allowing up too many startup programs etc ( use anvir task manager for that ).

2) Regarding that u may suggest that there might be some viruses / adware / trojans on my pc - i can confirm they are not :

Fresh install of windows 7 10 days back so defragging too surely is out of being the culprit.

For the tuneup softwares - i tried some like tuneup utilities some months back and latestly tried advanced system care pro - but no difference was felt much about.
Regularly use ccleaner for junk files removal.

Then the thing is i recently tried out my brothers laptop sony viao core i3 - 8 gb ddr memory and tried google chrome and firefox and opera in it, one at a time, but it too after just 10 tabs started lagging and became very slow responding.

So, i am not sure whether my main problem - ie. Using say 2 browsers opened each with 25 - 40+ tabs opened + 5-12 windows explorer folders opened (not ie) + some 5 - 8+ more applications also (like a pim software, rainmeter etc.) - Dont think this is multi tasking, as this all is normal only. I am not sure this problem of lag will go away if i buy a core i5 or i7, as most other people too complain of the computer becoming unresponsive or atleast firefox and chrome if more than 50+ tabs opened at a time.

NOTE -

If the problem will be solved to a great extent just by buying 4 gb ddr2 667 mhz ram (making the total to 3gb existing + 4 gb = 7gb running at 400mhz), then please just tell but only if really are confident of it.
+
I am absolutely sure of buying a ssd - my preference would be $120 sandisk extreme 240gb deal which i am thinking to come soon again after missing recently - or else samsung 830 128gb at $90. But i think ssd will not resolve lag, only make the startup faster.

So what would you people suggest - i will get over this problem for sure (the 50+ tabs in browsers) by getting a core i5 or more, or is this problem not because of my current setup but most people experience the same sluggishness when opening multiple tabs in chrome / firefox / opera ?

Money i can spend upto an core i5 3570k or i7 3770k, no problem - but only want to know if buying that will resolve my problem. Not sure really after trying out my brothers recently purchased i3 laptop with ddr3 8gb ram.

I would like, to have a config that allows me to surf 50+ tabs in a good browser as firefox 10.0.1 / 15 + Do some only video encoding say twice a week + use windows 7 speech recognition / nuance home, and some more 5-8+ applications + normal some windows explorer folders opened.

Please don't tell me the normal thing that just because i have an old setup, i will really see great improvement by a i5 / i7. I know that. But my recent try with sony vaio i3 laptop with 8gb ddr3 ram wasn't that a great different experience.

Thanks a lot for your advice and time.

Last edited:
I think you would be better off with your current rig. Add more RAM and a 500GB hard disk. The rig is more than enough for your needs.

quicky008

Technomancer
The problem doesn't lie with the hardware,it is being caused because you keep 40+ tabs open at any given time,which is bound to make any computer unresponsive irrespective of how latest or powerful it might be.I don't think you'll notice any significant improvements in performance by upgrading your current rig-just do what Arjunkiller has suggested-increase the ram and go for a higher capacity HDD,which will hopefully speed things up to some extent;last but not the least-refrain from opening so many tabs in your browser at the same time.

havoknation

Journeyman
This is not a issue of hardware. This is browser limitations.. better use more then one browser at a time with max 5-6 tabs opened rather then stick to one browser with 30+ tabs.
As far as your system is concerned, you have a powerful rig for surfing net, music and videos.

OP
H

Hever

Right off the assembly line
IS 1600Mhz 8GB DDR3 ram - much much better than a 400Mhz ddr2 8gb ram ?

I could buy the ddr3 but for that i will have to just buy a new whole system - around minimum 15,000 for the new rig.

So whats the choice -

a) A complete system - COST - Rs 15,000 ++ minimum

or

b) Buy 4GB more DDR2 ram running at 400Mhz - (so that total ram becomes 7GB ddr2 @ 400Mhz in my current pc) - COST will come to be - Rs 3000

I just WANT REALLY this problems solution to a good extent - if not full extent.

+

Also - whats the difference between Firefox's nightly build and regular portable build from PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives - is the nightly build more better in performance ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Just for the record, I use my Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz for the things you mentioned. :p And its runs just about fine, until I need to do something resourceful.

And about the Firefox query...
You get "regular" build of Firefox from sites like, official sites and hosting sites like Filehippo.com
Portableapps.com host "portable" versions of apps which may not be the "latest" version.
But Firefox's nightly builds are totally opposite to a stable release. They are released for testing purposes only. And might include with them many bugs, which can have an undesirable results.

Quote from mozilla - Developer Central
We make nightly builds for testing only. We write code and post the results right away so people like you can join our testing process and report bugs. You will find bugs, and lots of them. Mozilla might crash on startup. It might delete all your files and cause your computer to burst into flames. Don't bother downloading nightly builds if you're unwilling to put up with problems.

I recommend a stable version for you aka no nightly or Aurora versions. ;)

Top Bottom