will any data loss occur if CD is kept under WATER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerthivasan

very very STUPID
HI GUYS.
CAN U TELL ME WHETHER any data loss occur if CD is kept under WATER?
HOW MANY HOURS CAN A CD BE KEPT UNDER WATER SO THAT NO DATA LOSS OCCURS?

jal_desai

In the zone
no loss will occur.... but if tht's an indirect question...may be u wanna know how to make data on CDs unrecoverable.. then just do any one of the following: put them in to oven OR move a magnet over them for sometime while watching cartoons... ur data will be lost... HAHAHAHAHA

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
jal_desai said:
magnet over them for sometime while watching cartoons... ur data will be lost... HAHAHAHAHA
its optical media not magnetic nothing will happen to cd even if you put it over
a power plant dynamo.
btw cd will genrely not be harmed inside the water but it should be distilled as chlorine and other substance in water in water can react with aluminum compound based outer reflective surface to make cd unusable

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Even humidity does damage CDs over time.
But what exactly is meant by the question?
"no Harm Under Tap Water!"
But tap water generally contains chlorine which is chemically very reactive.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Plastic is a very good water proof stuff, therefore, when going under water put cds in a plastic pack :D that will make sure no contact with water :p

satyamy

Alive Again...
No data loss
but like every one has to die
same every CD will automatically damage when its time come :D

redhat

Mad and Furious
What I mean to say is, once I had tried it with my CD's. I washed them out of their dirt under tap-water, and no data loss occurred.....

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
Ramakrishnan said:
Plastic is a very good water proof stuff, therefore, when going under water put cds in a plastic pack that will make sure no contact with water .
agreed the cd is made of plastic but the recording and reflectative surfaces are made of aliminium compounds which melts in the burning processos to make dents which are identical to pits of stamped CD now this cotaing can react with chlorine and other reactative substances in water and corrode making cd use less in some time if kept under water.
What I mean to say is, once I had tried it with my CD's. I washed them out of their dirt under tap-water, and no data loss occurred....
he is talking about keeping cd inside the water for extended period of time not
washing as its done only for a min or two.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
piyush gupta said:
Why mods allowed this thread still running

sorry to pat my nose in, but may i ask whats wrong in this thread ?? Personally I dont see ahy violation of rule :(... do u see any ??

@abhasbajpai

:lol: U quoted me with the name of some one else :lol:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
CD might get cold. ;)

jokes apart, no data loss will occur... In fact I wash old CDs sometimes to make them working. :D Even I hv used tooth-pastes a few times to fill the scratches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom