Will 7950 fit into my case?

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I have a NZXT gamma cabinet and i was wondering if this Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 With Boost 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com will fit into it? There is no way i can afford a GPU + a new Cabinet. If this doesnt fit will this gtx 660ti MSI NVIDIA N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com fit into my cabinet?

Also would like to ask if my PSU is powerful enough to handle this rig:
Processor- i5 2500K (overclocked to 4.4 @1.26v)
Mobo- ASUS P8Z77-M
PSU- Seasonic S12II 620w
GPU- hd 7950(plan to overclock it without altering core voltage) or MSI GTX 660Ti PE (No need to overclock this i guess)
HDD- 2 HDDs (No SSD)
1 DVD writer
In all 5 Case fans (including the 2 fans on the CPU cooler)

Last edited:

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
7950 = 11.42 ''
660 Ti = 10.43''
Source - newegg.
See it for yourself if your case has that much space.

Last edited:
OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
On sapphire's website it says that this boost edition is 11.4 inches(that is quite huge :| ) which is what got me worried. What about the PSU do you think it's enough to handle it with both CPU and GPU overclocked as mentioned in original post?

Thetrueblueviking

How much power does ur current rig consume at load ??

My bad ---- the MSI 7950 measures 10.6" .... Sapphire variant measures 11.42"

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I think I will skip the 7950 (can't believe it myself but because of it's size).

I have no idea how much it consumes but i just checked it on Power requirement calculator and it says that my system should consume around 485 watts on peak load with a 7950. So i guess i will be safe with my PSU.

Coming to gtx 660Ti which variant will you prefer. ASUS GTX 660Ti DC2 Asus NVIDIA GTX660 TI-DC2T-2GD5 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

Or

MSI GTX 660Ti PE MSI NVIDIA N660Ti PE 2GD5/OC 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

Thetrueblueviking

But you could go for a MSI 7950 which is shorter.

*www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html
Also read the 1st review of the MSI 660 Ti on flipkart.

Hence Asus one would be better.

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes thats exactly the article which was bothering me. I think I will measure the exact length in the morning because even the GTX 660Ti from ASUS is almost 10.8 inches. Man never thought that size of the card could affect my choice for the GPU, man this is one hell of a nightmare.

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
cooler on that card doesn't look good. Is that the reference design on that card?

EDIT: Ok so I checked and the 290mm, which is the size of that sapphire 7950 with boost, is the absolute limit of my case. Even a 3-4 mm here and there and it won't fit. So i guess I will go with ASUS GTX 660Ti DirectCU II TOP as it should easily fit into my case. I hope it's good enough for just next 8 months because after that i probably won't get to game for like 2 years.

Last edited:
OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
I am assuming that I won't get time to play games if I get into a decent MBA college. I think I will need a laptop more than a PC there. But it would be good if I can take some time out and do one thing that i really love i.e. cyber gaming :D

EDIT : A little change of plans. I will bite the bullet on 7950 as my self-proclaimed 'intelligent' mind is telling me not to skimp on a 22k product(that being the GPU) for the sake of keeping a 2.5k product(cabinet) till eternity. I basically don't want to regret spending 22k now for saving 2.5k later. I hope I am lucky enough to fit that beast in this cabinet *fingers crossed*.

Broken In
I am assuming that I won't get time to play games if I get into a decent MBA college. I think I will need a laptop more than a PC there. But it would be good if I can take some time out and do one thing that i really love i.e. cyber gaming :D

EDIT : A little change of plans. I will bite the bullet on 7950 as my self-proclaimed 'intelligent' mind is telling me not to skimp on a 22k product(that being the GPU) for the sake of keeping a 2.5k product(cabinet) till eternity. I basically don't want to regret spending 22k now for saving 2.5k later. I hope I am lucky enough to fit that beast in this cabinet *fingers crossed*.

Hey my Asus radeon HD 7970 wouldn't fit in my CM storm case. The extra large and crappy heat-sink was interfereing with my HDD cage. So I changed the reference cooler to gelid icy vision-a and now it fits perfectly. The temps are way lower too. Killed two birds with one stone.
You could do the same if you buy the reference board.

Broken In
How much does that cooler cost?

It will cost around Rs 3500-3700 . I bought it from ebay(seller: fp-outlet ). But in my case it was only the reference cooler that was interfering with the HDD cage. The PCB itself was clear. If this is your case then you might give it a shot.

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah its a good alternative. On the other hand I can add maybe 1-2K bucks more to the cost of that cooler and go for a much better cabinet. Let's wait and see how it goes, maybe it will fit into this cabinet itself *fingers crossed* but thanks alot for that suggestion. I will keep that in mind for sure.

Last edited:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
what you could do, in my opinion, is you could go for 1GB DDR5 edition, and save on the bucks. Or invest in a bigger cabinet. 3GB ddr5 will be a wastage.

ask around. i may be wrong. :)

Top Bottom