will 5 year old unused hardware work in a new config?

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
i had an Old Compaq Presario SR1940IL the specs are here my parents had purchased it in 2007 and because this desktop had been unusable because of a power outage i never used it for the past 5 years
what i want to know is that whether its 16xDVD drive and 160GB SATA HDD can be used again in a new config by march-april next year.will the hard-disk have memory loss problems once new data is written onto it?and will the dvd drive read dvds even after 5 years? i also plan to use the cabby

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Why are you asking us will the DVD read discs?
will the
dvd drive read dvds even after 5
years?
if it reads now it should be fine then. I had a LG drive that lasted me 6 years.
also would recommend you to get a good airy cabinet for new PC.

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
^i think i mentioned
i never used it for the past 5 years
and right now when i start the PC nothing appears on the monitor(Not even BIOS)
So i dont know about the stats about any of the components

and what about the hdd? will it work?

z3rO

Journeyman
I have a similar model (Compaq Presario SR1930IL) purchased in 2007.. Its still fully functional and my 160GB HDD works well (i use a 500GB HDD and keep the 160GB for stuffs like trying out different OS) and yes, every component works.. :)
You may need to clean the DVD-Drive's lens if the drive isn't working.. (i had to do it once)
Your HDD should be in working condition..

My PC refuses to boot when I try to start it after 2-3 months of inactivity. So here is what i do - clean the RAM sticks and blow some warm air in the Cabinet (using Hairdryer) and it works every time.. Might work for u also.. Btw i also clean everything in my cabinet and reapply TIM atleast once in a year..

And IMO, get a new cabinet.

frankeric

Journeyman
There are very much chances that your dvd is out because if dvd rom is not used for very long time than these things not work correctly.

Top Bottom