Wiki Search Planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
The founder of Wikipedia,*smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/r/bigstar.gif the user-edited online encyclopedia, is developing a Wiki-based search engine to compete with established commercial search engines from Google and Yahoo. Jimmy Wales announced plans to develop the search engine, to be named "Wikiasari," or "Wikia..

*www.pcworld.com/article/id,128333-c,asps/article.html

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Umm.. Let me make some guesses .. What happened right now is every search engines have got index webpages and rank these pages based on their algorithm.... This is automated and while search engine crawlers are dumb they cannot differentiate RAM and Ram so if you search for Ram, chances are you'll find prices of Ram and not about the god himself ..
Now imagine an index that you can create and sort according to relevancy .. Wiki search is a natural extension of Wikipedia .. I liked the idea myself . ..

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
it_waaznt_me said:
Umm.. Let me make some guesses .. What happened right now is every search engines have got index webpages and rank these pages based on their algorithm.... This is automated and while search engine crawlers are dumb they cannot differentiate RAM and Ram so if you search for Ram, chances are you'll find prices of Ram and not about the god himself ..
Now imagine an index that you can create and sort according to relevancy .. Wiki search is a natural extension of Wikipedia .. I liked the idea myself . ..
Something like a webindex equivalent of digg?

i think, in that case, they can use things like usercontributed-tags next to each result.

e.g. - alongside results for Ram, you would get a tag like "hindu mythology" etc.

that would enable a person to determine if the result is of his interest or not.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
There is something like this in Gollum, the Wikipedia Browser.

Gollum is a Wikipedia Browser for fast and eye-friendly browsing through the free encyclopedia 'Wikipedia'. Gollum gives you access to nearly all Wikipedias in all languages. Further more Gollum gives you some special features which allow you to easily customize your work with Wikipedia. In the author's opinion the interface of Wikipedia is too overloaded and confusing. So let's get an easy to use interface. Gollum, the intuitive way to the powerful knowledge of Wikipedia.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Lol no .. I was wondering something .. :p .. Will post later about it .. :D Feeling very lazy to type a long post right now .. :D

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
WikiSeek seeks all wikis!!!
I thought it was similar to Gollum, the WikiPedia-only seeker.

Holy cr@p, This is the holy grail of all wikis!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom