Wi***w$ XP HIDDEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara2002

Broken In
To run any of these apps go to Start > Run and type the executable name (ie charmap).

Window$ XP HIDDEN APPS:
=========================================

1) Character Map = charmap.exe (very useful for finding unusual characters)

2) Disk Cleanup = cleanmgr.exe

3) Clipboard Viewer = clipbrd.exe (views contents of window$ clipboard)

4) Dr Watson = drwtsn32.exe (Troubleshooting tool)

5) DirectX diagnosis = dxdiag.exe (Diagnose & test DirectX, video & sound cards)

6) Private character editor = eudcedit.exe (allows creation or modification of characters)

7) IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package)

micro$**t Synchronization Manager = mobsync.exe (appears to allow synchronization of files on the network for when working offline. Apparently undocumented).

9) window$ Media Player 5.1 = mplay32.exe (Retro version of Media Player, very basic).

10) ODBC Data Source Administrator = odbcad32.exe (something to do with databases)

11) Object Packager = packager.exe (to do with packaging objects for insertion in files, appears to have comprehensive help files).

12) System Monitor = perfmon.exe (very useful, highly configurable tool, tells you everything you ever wanted to know about any aspect of PC performance, for uber-geeks only )

13) Program Manager = progman.exe (Legacy window$ 3.x desktop shell).

14) Remote Access phone book = rasphone.exe (documentation is virtually non-existant).

15) Registry Editor = regedt32.exe [also regedit.exe] (for hacking the window$ Registry).

16) Network shared folder wizard = shrpubw.exe (creates shared folders on network).

17) File siganture verification tool = sigverif.exe

1 Volume Control = sndvol32.exe (I've included this for those people that lose it from the System Notification area).

19) System Configuration Editor = sysedit.exe (modify System.ini & Win.ini just like in Win98! ).

20) Syskey = syskey.exe (Secures XP Account database - use with care, it's virtually undocumented but it appears to encrypt all passwords, I'm not sure of the full implications).

21) micro$**t Telnet Client = telnet.exe

22) Driver Verifier Manager = verifier.exe (seems to be a utility for monitoring the actions of drivers, might be useful for people having driver problems. Undocumented).

23) window$ for Workgroups Chat = winchat.exe (appears to be an old NT utility to allow chat sessions over a LAN, help files available).

24) System configuration = msconfig.exe (can use to control starup programs)

25) gpedit.msc used to manage group policies, and permissions

T

TimothyMcVeigh

It's windows.
At least learn to spell it right first.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
u can find all these applications in the windows directory so what's hidden in it ??

..:: Peace ::..
Jeba

zeeshan_04

Broken In
Have seen this in Magzware.

You cud have given a link instead of copying and pasting.

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/Zeeshan.gif

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
OH hell you this one ripped from tech- arena
where are you gonna pay for this
man
here is the link
*forums.tech-arena.com/archive/index.php/t-3804.html

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
We are avare of most of thease since the win95 days.
And many of the other tolls ones are also known .
So thease are not exactly hidden.
But if you go by the literal meaning of hiding then you
are right.Most of these are hidden in windows,system etc

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Well what author of this post posted was Windows Applicatons can be launched from "Start > Run" which he says are **Hidden** (but as Jeba revealed nothing is HIDDEN when you explore System32 folder... so we all know now nothing's ***Hidden*** now ;-))

All right... here I'm going to tell ya how to launch any program direct from Start > Run... like most common programs u use; Winamp, Gmail Notifier etc, which u are not able to launch rdirect from Run by default...

In Windows Registry Editor... go here...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

Now create a new key, say Winamp.exe

Now simply paste it's path in (Default) by double clicking it....

C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe

Finished!

Now to launch Winamp just Start > Run > Winamp !!

YadaYada: I didn't copied/ripped this thing from anywhere, one day I was playing hard with Windows regisrty and found this process to create Run Shortcuts of application.. "

The more you play.. more you learn.. ;-)

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
I have seen that Windows automatically creates that Apppath for your most used applications .. I too use Run too frequently .... Btw .. Office executables dont need those entries to be created by you .. I m used to type Winword in Run box and opening it ...

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
yes right many popular progs like office progs, itunes, iconworkshop, photoshop don't need those entries to created manusally...

i think new applications which comes with windows installer or InstallShield with Windows Installer also don't need them.... 'coz their respective entries are created by default when they're installed.

but many applications installed by NSIS or InstaalWise (older version, not this new with Windows Installer support) don't create these entries by default... so requires... if u use such an application frequently and do most of time Start>Run... like Winamp/GMail Notifier/DAP...

DJ Shaji

Broken In
Create a shortcut of the folder/program and put it in the \Windows directory.

Simple.

No need to tweak the registry.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
but with the short cut u'll neeed to add .lnk with program/folder's name u put inside WIndows directory.

like u put winamp's shortcut on ur Windows directory then it can be opened by RUN only when u type winamp.lnk not by simply typing winamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom