Why you should use OpenGL and not Direct3D

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Why does everyone use DirectX?
  1. Network effects and vicious cycles
  2. FUD about OpenGL and Vista
  3. Misleading marketing campaigns
    *img28.imageshack.us/img28/7940/comparisonkn.jpg
    "The launch strategies for Windows Vista and Windows 7 were both accompanied with an immense marketing push by Microsoft for DirectX, in which they showed 'before' and 'after' screenshots of the different DirectX versions. Many gamers now think that switching from DirectX 9 to DirectX 10 magically transforms graphics from stupidly dark to normal (as in the comparison above), or from Halo 1 to Crysis. Game journalists proved that there was no difference between Crysis DX9 and DX10, and that its "DX10" features worked fine with DX9 by tweaking a config file. However, despite its obvious inaccuracy, the marketing has convinced many gamers that DirectX updates are the only way to access the latest graphics features."

So why do we use OpenGL?
  1. OpenGL is more powerful than DirectX
    "It’s common knowledge that OpenGL has faster draw calls than DirectX"
    *img826.imageshack.us/img826/5502/openglfasterthendirect3.jpg Source: *developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl-nvidia-extensions-gdc-2006.html
  2. OpenGL is cross-platform
  3. OpenGL is better for the future of games

Excellent article: Why you should use OpenGL and not DirectX - Wolfire Games Blog

----

AMD Says Long-in-the-Tooth DirectX is Holding Back PC Gaming

utkarsh009

In the zone
wow! how can we switch between them when playing games? which openGL version can be used in place of dx11 or dx10.1 or previous dx games?

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
You're confusing the things.

If a game has been developed in OpenGL & Direct3D both and allows you to switch, only then you can switch. Just like you switch between Direct3D/X 9 and Direct3D/X 11 in some games. :)

Well written article. MS should stop this DirectX mania. We can't keep upgrading GPUs like this.

Thanks for sharing ico.

But i gotta say, Stalker is EPIC! (looking at those screenies) :D

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
The Cross Platform point is the most significant and underestimated point of open standard technologies like OpenGL. Particularly for Indie companies who would like to target emerging and loyal users in Mac OS X and Linux.
The feeling among DirectX and XNA developers and fanboys that they are significantly easier to use and cost-saving has a lot to do of their experience as the Wolfire developer so eloquently pointed out in that article (and case of just idioticity from lame fanboys).
Sadly the misinformation among people that DirectX stack offers "better performance", "better visuals", etc. is prevalent among the "gamerz" but in actuality it's pure and utter FUD.
At this point of time though and for a long time to come DirectX has its place, but as a non-Windows user and a supporter of open standard technologies, here I hope
OpenGL is used more often, at least by the developers whose games I wish to play.

BTW Part-II of that article: *blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/DirectX-vs-OpenGL-revisited

And not exactly DX v OpenGL, but a good article neverthless *red-sheep.de/games/steam4linux.xhtml

gameranand

Living to Play
Very nice article. Thanks ico I didn't knew these things all I knew before was that OpenGL is better but I didn't know WHY. Now I know thanks to you.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Don't thank me. Thanks to the man who wrote that article.

I only liked OpenGL because it was cross-platform, now there are other reasons too.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
OpenGL also has a place in Android.
I think it was left-out in the article.
I am currently working on Android, so gonna work on OpenGL surely. ;)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
A great example of opengl based games has to be DOOM3. The game was well ahead of its time. If a next gen game were to be developed in opengl now, it has the potential to surpass some of today's graphically benchmark titles like crysis2 and BF3.

I guess nvidia is strongly backing opengl.

@ piyush

Rage is the only game which is developed using opengl. Id software are the only developers interested in opengl. Expect others to follow.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I guess nvidia is strongly backing opengl.
yeah, right. :rolleyes:

"strongly" backing? any proof?

Why not ask them to support open standards and stop marketing 'proprietary' things like PhysX aggressively? I guess they won't.

Top Bottom