Why Reliance 3G netconnect is not listed in Ubuntu 9.04?

ghantaukay

Broken In
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my netbook but there is no sound....neither can I connect my Reliance #G dongle to access the internet as it is not in the list. I am a linux newbie and I dont understand all those geeky languages you encounter in help forums. Can someone help me out here?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ubuntu 9.04 is old. Way too old.

Download and install Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10.

I'd say install 12.04 as it is more stable.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wvdial won't really be required unless he faces a problem.

Modemmanager will work fine after anwering a simple wizard. Dunno what problem that guy faced.

digit.sh

Journeyman
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my netbook but there is no sound...

Simply saying there is "there is no sound" doesn't give us any clue about the problem. You have to give us the exact error message, if any. Anyway there are the following possibe cause of "no sound":

1. The sound is turned of by hardware switch. In my netbook "Fn + F3" toggles the sound output.
2. The sound driver is either not properly installed or the appropriate driver is was not included in Ubuntu 9.04. Open a terminal and type
Code:
lspci | grep Audio
If you see something like
Code:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
you can be sure that the audio driver is installed.

3. A temporary hardware or software misbehaviour. In this case a reboot might resolve the problem.
4. Permanent hardware fault. In this case nothing to do.

I strongly suggest you to install a more recent version of Ubuntu. Latest version of Ubuntu is 12.10 . 9.04 is too old and totally outdated. You can consider LinuxMint too. Its based on Ubuntu and to some people its easier than Ubuntu.

Installing a recent version of Ubuntu (Or LinuxMint) is the best option for you. There is a better chance that it includes the required driver and it will be faster, less buggy and support more softwares. Get 64bit version of the OS if your processor is 64bit.

neither can I connect my Reliance #G dongle to access the internet as it is not in the list
Ubuntu 9.04 was released on 23/04/2009, at that time, even reliance CEOs could not think of something called "reliance 3g". How can we expect it to be in Ubuntu's list? Again, the answer is: get a recent version of Ubuntu.

I am a linux newbie and I dont understand all those geeky languages you encounter in help forums. Can someone help me out here?
Everyone started off as a newbie. :) There is nothing called "geeky language". You have to express your views in english sentences. And a sentence is either right or wrong. Thats it. :)

Top Bottom