Why Linus Isn't "Competing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
The recent interview with Linus Torvalds cemented a number of things I've believed about Linux for a while now. Linux isn't an OS, or even a kernel: it's an embodiment of a design philosophy. One aspect of that philosophy could be described as "ignore the competition."

Maybe that's a harsh way to put it, but Linus has said himself, again and again, he's not interested in what the competition (read:Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)) does. He doesn't see himself as trying to beat the Boys In Redmond at their own game. His stated interest is writing code -- improving the Linux kernel in conjunction with the rest of the kernel development team and the third-party contributors who submit patches. Linus's attention, and the attention of everyone else working immediately with him, is perennially on Topic No. One: making Linux better.

That's as it should be. Linux, not marketing or sales, is what Linus does.

Some people might argue that Linus is only shooting himself in the foot by not paying attention to the competition. My question is: Who's competing with whom? It's the individual Linux vendors who see themselves as competitors to anyone, and the essence of the competition is the specific feature sets that go into a given Linux distribution. It's Red Hat andNovell (NSDQ: NOVL) who compete with each other, not Linus competing with anyone else. Those vendors compete not only with Microsoft but with other Unixes (and, of course, each other), even if most of the talk is about how they compete with Microsoft, because that's how you get attention.

You also could argue that the very noncommercial-ness of the kernel development process is a philosophical mistake, and that Linux as a whole would be better served by making it a for-profit (and, by that token, closed-source) venture. By making it nigh-impossible to profit off Linux directly, rather than by selling services or support, Linux development as a whole is held back.

But, again: held back compared with what? Compared with things that have entirely different developmental cycles, design philosophies, and stated goals? Linux is developed the way it is because the developers value transparency and flexibility of purpose, first and foremost. If those aren't the things you want, there are plenty of other places to go. Linus knows this and isn't uncomfortable about it. He's stuck to his guns about this issue since it was first brought up. He knows Linux proves itself on its own terms.

I don't think Linus is "out of touch" for ignoring Microsoft. If anything, he's as in touch as anyone in the Linux space can be. And he'd better be: he's the one who needs most to be in touch.

Article by Serdar Yegulalp for Information Week

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
One reason i will give is here in india and all they still think only one av is there and that too norton av..to this crowd yöü cant introduce a entirely new os and ask them to work..it.they will try two days and begin to bash yöü..thats india..
Many known friends of mine have tried and they said they are not comfortale with the os...they are also techie people..think of ordinary people.
:-D

praka123

left this forum longback
Open Minds and Open People who embraces FOSS are the future.
reg Linux user friendliness,it is once u setup the system,u can forgot everything including Windows Vista.
Ubuntu,Fedora,PclinuxOS,OpenSuser all offers a very good experiance in an independent scale.
Linux is ready and not idiot friendly-it is waiting for you :)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
"Linus Torvalds" has no "Jobs" so he is standing out of the "Gates" (Just for joke, not that i'm a anti-*nix) :D

Well anyway thanks for the info :)

New

Padawan
Unless and untill MS starts legal action against pirated users ,only geeks use Linux in India.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Is it like for everything someone has to open a thread when he really has no way to connect to net?
:-(

Even my bro installed and hard to use.may be it should take some time..but Isnt first impression is the best impression?

praka123

left this forum longback
^it is because of people who are new to this OS expecting windows like things and also expecting .exe files will install on Linux :D In few genuine problems where driver is missing we have to do some tweaks.@new doesnt mention anything regarding his connection.with dialup internet or aDSL Linux works better.with mobile phones u have to use terminal for configuring the connection.and dont expect terminal to be equivalent to that DOS prompt on ur winblows!.
And You have to remember Linux is the work of Community and like Vista lacking proper drivers Linux too lacks for some hardware.the blame goes to H/W manufacturers!.
Any way nobody is expected to work on terminal for all purposes on Ubuntu.
I know,what i buy is gr8 attitude these Vista boys have.time will be there to make them straight.Use Linux for 2 weeks.then the FUD about Linux will be wiped off from even hardcore windows users!.
Linux is another BIG Superior OS,u cant compare it to Vista or any winblows!.UNIX model is here for past 37+ years and u cannot compare windows systems to compete with them.
I will say Vista shud compare itself with its own OS like Vista vs XP.fscking fanboys :rolleyes:

New

Padawan
^I agree with you..I asked the question in the thread "how to connect mobile to net" in OSS section.. But there is no replay since last night..Can you tell me where to save the file wvdial.. (which we edit).

praka123

left this forum longback
^ i think there is a sticky thread which answers ur query. :) we will discuss it there in OSS section now on :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
^it is because of people who are new to this OS expecting windows like things

Expecting Internet to work is "WIndows like thing"? U mean only Windows connects to net? LOLZ...

And You have to remember Linux is the work of Community and like Vista lacking proper drivers Linux too lacks for some hardware.the blame goes to H/W manufacturers!.

Absolutely right, it is the fault of Hardware manufacturers that they have not released drivers for older hardware for Windows Vista

Any way nobody is expected to work on terminal for all purposes on Ubuntu.
I know,what i buy is gr8 attitude these Vista boys have.time will be there to make them straight.Use Linux for 2 weeks.then the FUD about Linux will be wiped off from even hardcore windows users!

WHy do u bring us Windows users in your bashing again & again for no reason?

let me make this reason clear why linux is good:

AT&T made C ---1
AT&T made UNIX ---2
AT&T wrote UNIX in C ---3
The same team worked for both ---4

1+2+3+4 => C was made for designing UNIX --- 5

6. UNIX was made at a time when competition and marketing were ZERO. their customers were bespectacled scientists, who only cared about functionality and security.

5+6 => UNIX was destined to be perfect --- 7

Linux was made as a free OS which can complement UNIX. It hence has several standard unix commands working for it. It also borrowed nearly every initial idea from unix. ---8

Linus and other early developers(of vertion 3 onwards) also added some functions they wanted from UNIX which were non existant in UNIX to Linux. ---9

7+8+9 => Linux is as good as it can get. Solaris, MAC OS, BSD also in same catogary ---10

MAC OS and Solaris were initially(mac still is) closed source, so not much developement. ---11

11 => BSD and Linux are the only canditates left for a good OS.

BSD was controvorcial due to its apparenly "Satanic icon" and due to freeBSD's old logo. It also lacked eye-candy, drivers, etc by default
. So it sadly is not popular enough despite having several good features. ---12

11+12 =>Linux is the best OS, due to popularity and functionality.

Closing thoughts: If we use some more of BSD code in linux, it can still be made better. there are some small bits in BSD which make better in certain feilds.

praka123

left this forum longback
you have to say that Apple made darwin(open source) from which OS X is made.and apple tingered with freebsd code(which OS X is based on) to make it loss the original unix qualities and making it a lil unstable.
and GNU tools are used in Linux,while BSD got its own tools(same commands) but with their own version.and one big down is BSDs doesnot install on logical partitions :?!
and ur explanation is very nice and 100% agreed. :)

but I think you are over doing that glorifying linux and windows user bashing part, Parka... Learn something from Linus. He is the perfect example of a gentleman cum researcher. So is Bill Gates, who never did GNU bashing...

Lagtha hai ki thune paani ke badale kutch aur piya:D

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
MetalheadGautham said:
let me make this reason clear why linux is good:
Wow! I'm buying a ticket too.
MetalheadGautham said:
AT&T made C ---1
AT&T made UNIX ---2
AT&T wrote UNIX in C ---3
The same team worked for both ---4
Chinese invented abacus, which lead to development of PCs much later. Therefore Linux is good. Logic, logic!
MetalheadGautham said:
1+2+3+4 => C was made for designing UNIX --- 5
You got it right this time.
MetalheadGautham said:
6. UNIX was made at a time when competition and marketing were ZERO. their customers were bespectacled scientists, who only cared about functionality and security.
Get yourself familiar with history of computers before making such absurd claims.
MetalheadGautham said:
5+6 => UNIX was destined to be perfect --- 7
It wasn't. Early UNIX releases weren't even multiuser systems.
MetalheadGautham said:
Linux was made as a free OS which can complement UNIX. It hence has several standard unix commands working for it. It also borrowed nearly every initial idea from unix. ---8
Linux is NOT an OS. Linux kernel development was started because a few Minix users weren't happy with Tanenbaum's attitude towards adding features to his educational OS.
MetalheadGautham said:
Linus and other early developers(of vertion 3 onwards) also added some functions they wanted from UNIX which were non existant in UNIX to Linux. ---9
This sentence doesn't even make any sense.
MetalheadGautham said:
7+8+9 => Linux is as good as it can get. Solaris, MAC OS, BSD also in same catogary ---10
Linux is nowhere near "as good as it can get". It's in a state of evolutionary process just like everything else.
MetalheadGautham said:
MAC OS and Solaris were initially(mac still is) closed source, so not much developement. ---11
Epitome of bullcrappola! Solaris has always been THE favorite system of ISPs, datacenters and universities all around the world. Linux can only dream of having as good a code-quality and advanced features that Solaris has.
MetalheadGautham said:
11 => BSD and Linux are the only canditates left for a good OS.
What weed do you smoke?
MetalheadGautham said:
BSD was controvorcial due to its apparenly "Satanic icon" and due to freeBSD's old logo. It also lacked eye-candy, drivers, etc by default
. So it sadly is not popular enough despite having several good features. ---12
Never knew "eyecandy" was the deciding factor in choice of solid, enterprise level operating systems that we are talking about here.
MetalheadGautham said:
11+12 =>Linux is the best OS, due to popularity and functionality.
And Windows is crap because of its huge user base? There is no such thing as a "best" operating system, and Linux is ONLY A KERNEL for chrissake!
MetalheadGautham said:
Closing thoughts: If we use some more of BSD code in linux, it can still be made better. there are some small bits in BSD which make better in certain feilds.
Such as? Stop trolling and get yourself educated before making such posts in future.

Consider it a friendly advice.

praka123

left this forum longback
If sun comes opensolaris with GPL3,then Linux will...eh :D dont want to say!
and afaik sun and opensolaris community is making this OS "Linux-compatible" i mean the driver support etc :)
I think it is "Project Indiana"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom