Why External Dialup modems are pricier than Internal modems ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VexByte

Norms Buster
I know that Simple driver installation, ease of physical installation and diagnostic lights are an external modem's main advantages. I've also heard that External Dialup modem is typically faster and is also able to filter out the telephone line noise etc and most of the External Dialup modems are also Voice & Fax enabled.

So what are the other pros of External Dialup modems when compared to the Internal Dialup modems ? :confused:

freebird

Debian Rocks!
simply tell-external modems are the real modems;
internal modems are software-emulated modem or windows only modem or win-modem.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Also, when you have a problem, you dont have to open the cpu to check the modem if you use external modem...

Arun

Ray

Precision Processor
u can use external modems in both linux and windows but internal modems r mainly win modems and only work with windows.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Guys, you people are getting it all wrong.

External Modems come with their own Power Adapters and require power seperatly. They come in their own casing.

Whereas Internal Modems, are only addon cards, which take in power from the CPU and do not have any external casing.

External modems are only Internal Modems along with casing and their individual power source. Also, some of the external modems support more phone lines than internal modems.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
VexByte said:
I know that Simple driver installation, ease of physical installation and diagnostic lights are an external modem's main advantages. I've also heard that External Dialup modem is typically faster and is also able to filter out the telephone line noise etc and most of the External Dialup modems are also Voice & Fax enabled.

So what are the other pros of External Dialup modems when compared to the Internal Dialup modems ? :confused:

There is no major difference between Internal and External Modems....just that the External one can be used on different PC.

Think of benefits of Laptop to a Desktop :D

No Internal Modems have Voice and FAX options atleast mine 5 yr old DLINK does which i never use now :p

varunprabhakar

In the zone
sukhdeepsinghkohli said:
No Internal Modems have Voice and FAX options atleast mine 5 yr old DLINK does which i never use now :p

mine has

alsiladka said:
Guys, you people are getting it all wrong.

External Modems come with their own Power Adapters and require power seperatly. They come in their own casing.

Whereas Internal Modems, are only addon cards, which take in power from the CPU and do not have any external casing.

External modems are only Internal Modems along with casing and their individual power source. Also, some of the external modems support more phone lines than internal modems.

totally agree

Last edited:

freebird

Debian Rocks!
ravi_9793 said:
who told you that???
A known fact.winmodems>
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winmodem#Winmodem_as_a_brand_name

A Softmodem is a software modem designed to use a host computer's resources (mostly CPU power and RAM but sometimes even audio hardware) instead of dedicated hardware of its own, unlike traditional modems.
They are also referred to as a Winmodem because the first commercially available softmodems mostly targeted the Microsoft Windows operating system running on IBM-PC compatibles. Although their usage has become more widespread over other operating systems and machines e.g. embedded systems and Linux, they are still difficult to use on operating systems besides Windows due to lack of vendor support and lack of a standard device interface. The term "Winmodem" is a trademark of U.S. Robotics but it is usually used to describe other modems with similar technologies.
ppl are posting wrong things like someone posted external modems are internal modems with casings and powersupply=A BIG LIE.

OP
V

VexByte

Norms Buster
But the Internal modems can be used in Linux and not on Windows alone -
*www.linmodems.org/

I've also heard that External modems are typically faster than the Internal ones on a same telephone line. Is that true ?

So the Softmodem(*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softmodem) that's mentioned in Wikipedia same as that the Internal modems available here in India ? I've felt that the article is written based on the American/European context.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
VexByte said:
But the Internal modems can be used in Linux and not on Windows alone -

very few of them can actually be used on linux and still give problems cause of lack of proper drivers.

VexByte said:
So the Softmodem(*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softmodem) that's mentioned in Wikipedia same as that the Internal modems available here in India ?

yes, its the same.

JamesTryForYou

In the zone
ok i am totally unaware of various modems, so please suggest me a good modem?.. Is the modem supplied by BSNL service is good enough that it doesn't need to be replaced..No i am recieving a good connection speed...but i i could get better:D

freebird

Debian Rocks!
^ are u talking about dataone adsl? the CPE is a router/modem,while earlier posts are on dial up internet modems,which our windows geeks are explaining as internal and external modems are the same!wrong.
as @chess said internal modems are windows only modems and external modems are the REAL modems which can work on real superior OS like Linux,BSDs and MAC.

I am amazed by Windows Users knowledge!grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom