Why am I gettin this error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Recently my explorer started playing games with me and displays this message whenever cursor highlights a video file.
*img170.imageshack.us/img170/9561/untitled1rs6.gif

I noticed this only when video files are getting accessed by explorer.. something to do with understanding the codec i suppose... what should i do to prevent this?

Repair solution...

I've K-Lite installed long back... do u think it must be $crewin the OS? But i never got the prob earlier....

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
Do you have your folder view set to "Tiles" or "Thumbnails"? Try switching it to "Details" view. The preview function in Windows XP seems to be the reason.

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Folder view set to default "Icons", but as u pointed out the preview function might have been corrupted by some codec identifying algorithm within some player.
Is there a simple way of removing this problem... without extensive uninstalling... some debugger?

mod-the-pc

Do you have the same issue in "Details" view and with no preview (the one that appears in the left i.e. Web view as its called in win 98 )?

Last edited:

mod-the-pc

Go to command prompt and type
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

This would disable preview for media file

If you have too many codec packs installed remove all of them, reboot and install any one.

Try uninstalling the XviD/DivX codec and reinstalling.

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
thnx... that should do it. Any regedit method for the same: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

And what to do to come back to normal... undo this?

ok...ok... got it.... to undo just run "regsvr32 shmedia.dll"

Full thing on media disabling...
[For others who get similar probs... ya I know most of us musta got this or the file-reading problems frequently]
To remove image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
To re-add image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
To re-add media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

And yup.. the registry hack which removes the annoying “permission denied” errors when trying to move/copy/delete AVI files.

To use this fix make a new text file, paste the following code in it, file extension change to inf. Rick click on the file and choose install. Done.

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg = Reduce.Reg

[Reduce.Reg]
HKLM, “SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32”

In other words...
1. Open up regedit
2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Works for this prob too.

Someone even made a fix-it utility doing the same and uploaded it online!!!

Another suggestion I got:
Another suggestion was to download DivX521XP2K.exe to solve the problem without having to regedit. The second fix allows you to keep thumbnails of videos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom