Wht r ports and wht is port blocking.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirates1323

In the zone
Can anyone give details about wht acctually is port blocking ....... and wht is term "port" is ??? I have sify broadband and it comes with PC guard which shows me which ports r blocked and which ports r released ..... Now this software gives me a prob... cause I don't know anything about it... port number..direction...protocol.... WHT THEY R MAN?????? :? :? :? :? :? :?

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
In simple words..
When you connect to another computer (say a webserver or any other computer over the internet) then the data transfer takes place using 2 parameters .. one is IP and another PORT ( if its TCP, which it mostly is ). You can have only one IP .. but you can make multiple connections to one or more computers using different ports. Port is a part of your TCP/IP connection, its not physically existent .. its just created in your interaction with network.
Its reccommended, security wise, to block most ports.
You can uninstall PC Guard if its giving problems and install another firewall. Search this forum, you'll get info about good firewalls.

-----
alibi

digen

Youngling
Incase even if you have open ports I dont see it as a cause of concern.It will be,if there are services or daemons[as they are more commonly called under GNU/Linux] running on that port/s.

Like for example you have port 80 open inbound[remember I'm talking about inbound here & not outbound which you normally use when you fire up your favourite browser],there would be no alarm bells ringing apart from now passe port scans by script kiddies.

But there would be huge concerns if you had a service like Apache or any other web server software running there listening for connections.This implies that there is a service to be exploited.

ZA is the best F/W
The author never asked which is the "best" & IMHO "best" is subjective to one's needs & requirements.
Please refrain from posting un-necessarily.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
sorryyyy!!!

very ssoorrrrrryyyyy !!!!

wrong post in wrong thread

very much sorryy!

jsut coz opera's multitab facility.

i apologies once again

Is it Okay???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom