Which wireless internet connection to opt for?

Which wireless internet connection to opt for?

• Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Reliance Netconnect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BSNL Data Card

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Others

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iChaitanya

Journeyman
You mean to say that the speed depends upon the proximity of the nearest BSNL tower, and I guess it's the same case with airtel and tata indicom too?

I have no experience with Airtel and TATA Indicom but I've heard that this BSNL EVDO thing is not at all stable. I mean for browsing this is the best option as of now. All of my friends who use BSNL EVDO say that the speed varies a lot and the speed depends upon the time of the day and various factors. Airtel is GSM. So that Airtel data card is useless. It'll give at the max 150 Kbps which, according to me, is bullshit. TATA Indicom provides Photon service (similar to BSNL EVDO) but I guess there are no unlimited plans and area covered is very less. Also, compared to TATA Indicom Plug2Surf, BSNL EVDO is obviously much better.

Conclusion: If you're in desperate need of a wireless solution to access the internet then BSNL EVDO is your best option. Note that ping from BSNL EVDO to any server in this world is usually ~1000 ms but I guess that's normal considering that it's a wireless service.

And please, don't even think of Reliance. I hate Reliance - so does everyone.

Pratul_09

Journeyman
I agree with iChaitanya that BSNL is best bet. Tata Indicom Photon is availabel only in Chennai and not in all over india. Airtel is the largest GSM service provider and will surely get the 3G licence whenever it is auctioned. Remember only the top 3 or 4 service providers(number of users) will be eligible to bid for the auction.

For casual use go for airtel. If u plan to use it heavily go for BSNL EVDO(Evolution Data Optimized) which is basically WiMax in other words

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
With the launch of 3g in India, do you think it's wise for going with the evdo for now? I mean will bsnl introduce a new 3g wireless internet device with faster speeds? :)

Last edited:

Pratul_09

Journeyman
WiMax and 3G are quite different. While WiMax is considered to be a 4G standard, it will work only in SDCA(short distance charging area) of approx 50 Km radius. So roaminig would be a problem. This is useful only when you want limited mobility. Whereas 3G may be a slower, but offers wide mobility options, eventhough mobility will affect your signal and speed.

r4gs

In the zone
I've used tata plug2surf and i very rarely get download speeds of over 3kbyte/s, there are times when it reaches 18 but that's only at around 1 in the morning. If you're going to be roaming all over india then try something like Airtel, reliance or tata, otherwise just go for one of those things like evdo if available.

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
BSNL EVDO is not available in my area, I have to choose between airtel and tata indicom. Which one is better? And should I go for a data card or the usb modem? My laptop supports both and I don't need this wireless connection for my desktop.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
BSNL EVDO is not available in my area, I have to choose between airtel and tata indicom. Which one is better? And should I go for a data card or the usb modem? My laptop supports both and I don't need this wireless connection for my desktop.

Hi bro,

Just to let you know, it is...

I got my self one from local exchange :D Here it is, I was using last night for Candlelight blogging as in the power outage :lol:

*img99.imageshack.us/img99/3540/a123m.jpg

and here is the service package which is given to me :D

*img6.imageshack.us/img6/5492/a12301.jpg

True, that, bohot papad belne pade isko lene keliye :evil::evil:

Thanks...

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
Hi bro,

Just to let you know, it is...

I got my self one from local exchange :D Here it is, I was using last night for Candlelight blogging as in the power outage :lol:

*img99.imageshack.us/img99/3540/a123m.jpg

and here is the service package which is given to me :D

*img6.imageshack.us/img6/5492/a12301.jpg

True, that, bohot papad belne pade isko lene keliye :evil::evil:

Thanks...

how did u get it? Is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom