Which wireless internet connection to opt for?

Which wireless internet connection to opt for?

• Tata Indicom Plug 2 Surf

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Reliance Netconnect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BSNL Data Card

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Others

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
I am currently using DataOne Home Plan UL 750 Plus in my home. Anyways, I need an additional internet connection on the go for my laptop, like when I am working away from home. So, which should I opt for? Tata Indicom's Plug 2 Surf, Reliance's Netconnect or BSNL's data card ( is it available in Kolkata)?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
none. If you want additional connection get another BSNL line. WiMax/GSM based internet connections are pathetic. Totally pathetic. Stay away from them.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
TATA out of these 3 for low usage
Else BSNL if usage will be high.

none. If you want additional connection get another BSNL line. WiMax/GSM based internet connections are pathetic. Totally pathetic. Stay away from them.

He wants mobile internet.

Last edited:

Pratul_09

Journeyman
If you wanna cheaper solution go for Airtel MO prepaid at Rs.14.99 daily. Otherwise go for BSNL datacard in postpaid which offers unlimited usage at Rs.199/-.

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
If you wanna cheaper solution go for Airtel MO prepaid at Rs.14.99 daily. Otherwise go for BSNL datacard in postpaid which offers unlimited usage at Rs.199/-.

What's the speed of the airtel and bsnl connection respectively?

Pratul_09

Journeyman
If u have a class 12 GPRS device both will deliver a max speed of 236 kbps otherwise if class 8-10 then max at 144 kbps.
That is 15-18 KB/s at good times and 4-6 KB/s in worst scenario.

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
If u have a class 12 GPRS device both will deliver a max speed of 236 kbps otherwise if class 8-10 then max at 144 kbps.
That is 15-18 KB/s at good times and 4-6 KB/s in worst scenario.

What's the best option if I don't want to use my mobile?

Pratul_09

Journeyman
Purchase a datacard from BSNL or AirTel that will cost approx. Rs 3000/-. They are sim locked and will only work with their respective sim's. Otherwise go for Micromax 611U datacard that costs same but is operator independent.

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
Purchase a datacard from BSNL or AirTel that will cost approx. Rs 3000/-. They are sim locked and will only work with their respective sim's. Otherwise go for Micromax 611U datacard that costs same but is operator independent.

Which one should I prefer USB Modem or Data Card and why?

Pratul_09

Journeyman
Datacard will only work in a PCMCIA slot of laptop. USB will work with any device having a USB slot. Speeds are same.

If u prefer to use it for laptop then go for PCMCIA which will be fully inserted inside laptop, but will not work with desktop as desktop does not have a datacard slot.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Get the BSNL EVDO details here www.bsnl.co.in/faq/faqans.php?paramCategory=EVDO. EVDO promises great speeds, but is not available in mumbai.

BSNL has copied most of those FAQs from my site: *bsnlevdoclub.com/bsnl-evdo-faqs/ :p

Anyway.. am not against it, coz am not doing this for money :p

And since there is no BSNL in mumbai... u can't get BSNL EVDO out there..

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
How can bsnl provide unlimited access and that too at greater speeds than airtel/ tata indicom. I mean airtel is charging around 600 per month with 1 gb limit. Is evdo available in Kolkata? Where can I get it? And are the speeds good?

In this link, I am seeing that monthly charges for the unlimited connection is Rs. 200

*www.calcuttatelephones.com/new-template.html?pg=/cdma_datacard.shtml

iChaitanya

Journeyman
The speeds vary a LOT but it depends upon the distance of your card from the nearest tower and many other such factors. But it's the best option as of now. So I'd suggest BSNL EVDO! :)

OP
soumya

soumya

In the zone
The speeds vary a LOT but it depends upon the distance of your card from the nearest tower and many other such factors. But it's the best option as of now. So I'd suggest BSNL EVDO! :)

You mean to say that the speed depends upon the proximity of the nearest BSNL tower, and I guess it's the same case with airtel and tata indicom too?

Pratul_09

Journeyman
BSNL has been allocated 3G spectrum by the government and has moved to this recently. This service depends heavily on environmental factors like distance of user from Base Station, atmosphere outside(raining, cloudy), signal strength, etc.

Private Players have still not been allocated the spectrum for 3G, whch was scheduled for auction in the end of january. But due to some differences within the government on price and bandwith it was not auctioned and will be most probably auctioned only after the elections are held and new government is formed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom