Which PSU to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
A while back I puchased and assembled a new computer (Zebronics Peace case, Intel E4400, XFX 650i Ultra motherboard, Leadtek 7600GS gfx card, 17" CRT Monitor, 2x1GB DDR2 600MHz RAM, Sony DVD Writer, etc). From the beginning, I have been having problem of instability... After working a while, it would suddenly freeze (monitor image will be still, nothing will happen until I reboot), and if I restart soon after a freeze incident, next freeze will come fast... Nowadays, I am not even able to boot and work much...

I am wondering if this is because of Zebronics 400 W basic SMPS that came with the case... If so, I want to get a better SMPS, but I cant afford to spend a lot of cash (I want to finish by 2k, but willing to go up to 3k)... Now, since I am in a smaller town, the best people here are offering are like Techcom and Mercury SMPSs which are not good enough... I am trying to get the items from Chennai instead...

Please inform which of the following are good enough for the system...

1. Cooler Master xtreme 500W
2. POV Black Diamond 500W
3. Powersafe 500W Silver
4. Powersafe 500W Gold
5. Zebronics 500W Platinum series

If you can recommend any other good SMPS that also falls within 3k limit, please let me know...

Thanks in advance
Arun

pratik03

Journeyman
for your config cooler master ext 400W is sufficient which cost near 2.5k
also you can consider coolermaster 460w & 500w if there is not much price difference.

if you extend your budget to 3.5k go for CORESAIR VX450W which supplys 33Amp on 12v rail (even coolermaster 650w can't supply that much of current on 12v)

but in my opinion cooler master ext 400w is sufficient for you

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Why recomend a 3.5k PSU for such a systems?
Even a gud 400W PSU is more than enough.
Get Powersafe, Amigo or Zeb Plat 500W for around 1.5k....just to make sure it can handle eben if u add more HDDs or optical drives. They are more than enough.

pratik03

Journeyman
^^ read my post carefully

I haven't recommended vx450w, user it self willing to increase the budget to 3k so i just mention it because it is best the psu available in that range.

ancientrites

In the zone
Powersafe 500W Gold is enough for your config.i still own zeb500watts platinum kept it as spare.

questions to sakumar79
do you use UPS? y dont u try without using ups and see if the system is still hangs,i mean direct connection if u dont have electricity cut off.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
@ancientrites - I have tried on couple of UPSes (one single 600VA UPS and another 2kVA UPS connected to multiple computers)...

BTW, does anybody know about a brand called Prime Source? My local dealer says this is the best he can get...

Arun

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Bumping thread to re-request any feedback on Prime Source brand... My local dealer is offering a 460W SMPS for under 1k, whereas a relative of mine who is from outstation and had some contacts there said 450w SMPS for 3.5k... Possibly they are different series... Their website address is *www.primesource.in/ but there is not a great deal of information there...

Arun

kooki

Broken In
prime source is a tiwanese brand i think.
my cabinet and my (old) PSU was prime source. mine's 4 years old so the psu was only 300 w. the cabinet is still one of the best ive seen so far. but i dont think many ppl liek the company

gcbeldar

In the zone
Mercury SMPS working fine for the below config. @ 450 to 600.

Asus P5 WH Deluxe Wifi
E6420
1 X 2GB RAM
Samsung SATA DVD WR
Hitichi 160GB

After facing lot of problems with Seagate SATA HDD Power Cable Problems.
I concluded that problem with SEAGATE SATA HDD Power Cable after changing HDD with Hitachi HDD, The system is very stable since from 2 months and working 8 hours a day.

All the members are requested to comment about "Is it necessary to spend 1k to 4k extra for PSU for simple use, not overclocking"

sourishzzz1234

Q6600 Underclocked
I want to buy a 500W SMPS.....but my budget is very low.........max Rs.700.....in this range.....i see that am only getting Frontech....Is there any better alternative in this little price....?? What's the price of a Frontech 600W??

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Finally got my hands on a 460W Cooler Master extreme Power Plus SMPS... Replaced the SMPS... Worked for about 5 minutes... started installing Ubuntu, then stopped after a while... Here are the System Monitor readings from the BIOS just after this on restart...

CPU Temp - 44 deg c
CPU Core 1.28V
CPU FSB 1.2V
Memory 1.86V
+3.3V 3.28V
+3.3V Dual 3.28V
+12V 12.14V
+5V 4.99V
+Vbat 3.00V
CPU Fan Speed 2596 RPM

Any visible problem?

Arun