which os to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Linux Mint rocks. As a newbie i have been using so many distros but always come back to linux Mint. Currently using Linux mint cassandra.

OP
R

Ratnadeep

Broken In
hi friends
thanks for guiding me to choose os
if i choose to use ubuntu 7.0 then is it possible to use my nokia 3230 as modem on that os to surf net and also transfer the songs from the pc to phone via data cable, is there need to any pc suit or what requires for that.
if it is possible, then can i take ubuntu codecs for multimedia on net.
Is it possible that there is a codec pack, i take it on my pen drive in any net caffe and install it at home as like windows ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Ratnadeep said:
if i choose to use ubuntu 7.0 then is it possible to use my nokia 3230 as modem on that os to surf net
yes, search the forums. i think there's a guide for that

Ratnadeep said:
... and also transfer the songs from the pc to phone via data cable, is there need to any pc suit or what requires for that.
yes, you can. there are some 3rd party apps which can do that and can be easily downloaded and installed.

Ratnadeep said:
if it is possible, then can i take ubuntu codecs for multimedia on net.
Is it possible that there is a codec pack, i take it on my pen drive in any net caffe and install it at home as like windows ?
yes, u can. but u need to note down the name of the codec and all the dependencies.

however, if codecs, phone etc. is ur main requirement then i suggest u use linux mint. you will NOT hafta download anything. everything will be provided out of the box!

OP
R

Ratnadeep

Broken In
however, if codecs, phone etc. is ur main requirement then i suggest u use linux mint. you will NOT hafta download anything. everything will be provided out of the box![/quote]

thanks for suggesion, where to get linux mint, is it possible to get it via cd like that of ubuntu which i got via a parcel after booking on ubuntu website. Or is there any alternative method to get it rather than download it from net ? plz help me.

OP
R

Ratnadeep

Broken In
hi friends,
at last from your guidlines i decided to use linux mint.
once again thanks for guiding.
have a nice day.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Ubuntu has more hardware support than sabayon. Like on my friends lappy (lenovo) ubuntu was able to detect wi-fi but sabayon wasnt.
But sabayon comes with loads of packages and most of the codecs.

Offtopic: I have the Sabayon 64 bit 10.2 Loop 2. Does that means its a beta version?
Is it stable?? It was a 3.5GB download.:(

faraaz

Evil Genius
Are you sure its v10.2?? Cuz the current Sabayon version is 3.4f ... loop2 means it is a beta version however...

faraaz

Evil Genius
Get the 3.4 loopf Mini Edition...its a standard 700 MB ISO file, and contains MOST of the important apps as well as the multimedia playback capability...and it shouldn't be too hard to download.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
faraaz said:
Get the 3.4 loopf Mini Edition...its a standard 700 MB ISO file, and contains MOST of the important apps as well as the multimedia playback capability...and it shouldn't be too hard to download.
It's 3.4f not 3.4 loop f. Loop is for beta and alpha versions. This is a public release.

faraaz

Evil Genius
@mehulved: Ugh...that was a typo...I definitely need more sleep...

Thanks for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.