Which of these 3 monitors should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepakvrao

Broken In
Guys,

I know that the Dell and the Benq are TN panels and the Acer is a MVA but the Acer does not have great reviews. But its 26" [at the same res].

So which should I choose?

Dell E248WFP
Benq G2400W
Acer AL2623

Thanks.

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
Go 4 it...

???

Dell E248WFP would be my choice.

+1 for Dell E248WFP

Would you guys advise the Dell in spite of the fact that the Acer is an Advanced MVA panel?

I think only Benq has come up with full HD support (1980x1080 true res) with their 22 and 24 inch models, with HDMI1.3 support. Check the below link...

BENQ E2200HD / E2200HDA

*xs433.xs.to/xs433/08451/e2200hd-05image760.jpg.xs.jpg

I think u might consider this advantage specially with the price they are offering

PS :: Checkout this thread as well....

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97213

The Dell is also full HD support. I am looking at minimum 24". Wont the text be too small on full HD on a screen smaller than 24?

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
Hey guys,

"Go for Dell" is all very well but could there also be some reasoning behind the suggestions? Quality? Value? Service? Personal experiences? etc

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ most r suggesting Dell cuz many hav used it and reported that its a gr8 monitor.but not many ppl know bout the Acer product.also company wise Dell is superior as compared to Acer.

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
^^^ most r suggesting Dell cuz many hav used it and reported that its a gr8 monitor.but not many ppl know bout the Acer product.also company wise Dell is superior as compared to Acer.

Maybe but without a valid reason being given the opinions are valueless.

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
if ppl r buying a product and giving +ve feedback then isnt it a gud enuf reason to get that product?

Nope - unless you know why they are recommending. Is it value? Service etc? They have not even mentioned if they have used the monitors or is it on heresay?

mmmmm I have not seen a 24" with windows yet, 22" looks fine with 1920x1080.
However the thing to note is that DELL 24" is 1920x1200 meaning 16:10 ratio.... good for desktop, but not for movies as all are 16:9, you might end up with small black bars when running movies on this monitor.
Else DELL seems pretty good. BENQ on this other hand is offering a 22" full HD 16:9 for 13000/- which is a killer price for that product range.....

Also DELL does not have HDMI support.

I'd suggest check out BENQ personally at a showroom and then check DELL, see for your self....u might find no or less difference in picture quality with a substantial price difference....

Thanks - now this is a meaningful reply.

HDMI-its just DVI with audio. The Dell has neither speakers nor a headphone out so I think HDMI is not needed? And anyway I have yet to hear a decent set of monitor speakers.

Also I will never watch movies on this so I would prefer a 16:10 for the extra desktop space.

I dont know where to check these monitors on display and thats the problem. Like I said a 22 at 1920*1200/1080 might be too small text for me? Am aging now :)

I heard that Benq service is really bad - true? I have had good experience with Dell [once]. Dell is quoting 19.5 while the Benq is 19. Waiting for Dell guy to get back to me tomorrow but the price ]bit here or there] is not so much of an issue - the quality is. This will be with me for a long time.

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
Ok so no movies on this monitor than 16:10 justifies and even a non HDMI, all these features are more inclined to make an HTPC which is not what you intend. Also there is hardly any price differenct bet BENQ and DELL for 24" (another reason justifying DELL purchase as DELL definately is believed to have better quality)
Its the 22" I was talking about where in we have a price difference of about 3K.

Anyway seem like DELL should be the choise and AFA checking out the display is concerned the only way I suppose is to checkout the official showrooms, that is what I usually do when I Tech shop...... :)

Thanks - sounds like its Dell. I definitely want at least 24". Read somewhere here that Staples in Bangalore has a Dell on display. Will check it out.

HTPC? Does that ref to Home Theatre or something?

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
Nope - unless you know why they are recommending. Is it value? Service etc? They have not even mentioned if they have used the monitors or is it on heresay?

then why is GOOGLE there????????
just google the reviews bout that monitor and ur doubts will be cleared.:)

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
then why is GOOGLE there????????
just google the reviews bout that monitor and ur doubts will be cleared.:)

I think I have read all that Google has to offer on these 3 monitors.

And pray tell - why are forums there? For personal experiences my dear friend and opinions.:)

OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In
Ok Guys,

Just got a mail from Dell. The 248 is no longer for sale but they offered the
S2409WFP

at 19K. The only downside is that itys a 16:9. So how bad is that for office work/surfing? I know that its better for movies but how is the narrower screen for other PC use?

*tvcalculator.com/index.html?a2429231032ef711e143c4b97daf1273

This shows how a 16:9 increases viewing area for a wide screen movie but for PC use?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

FYI, my current monitor is Dell 198WFP and it is stunning.

Decided on the Benq but faced this problem

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=984362#post984362

hold on!!!. You want to use Laptop's Intel 965 with 24" Display????

I say: Useless investment.

Instead:

1) get a 21" TV for 9k; DVD player for 3k; s-video cable.

Seriously, you will not be able to play any game at that resolution using Intel 965 chipset. I also seriously doubt how the gpu will handle that resolution.

Last edited:
OP
D

deepakvrao

Broken In

hold on!!!. You want to use Laptop's Intel 965 with 24" Display????

I say: Useless investment.

Instead:

1) get a 21" TV for 9k; DVD player for 3k; s-video cable.

Seriously, you will not be able to play any game at that resolution using Intel 965 chipset. I also seriously doubt how the gpu will handle that resolution.

Desi,

This is not for movies at all. I have a HDTV and DVD and amp and spewakers for that. This is really just as a PC. I dont want another comp in the house so I thought I would just get an external monitor for my laptop. No games either.

Would it work for regular PC use then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/Blue/buttons/viewpost.gif

With all due respect Desi, that is still not a valid enough reason. Within a manufacturer there is much panel to panel variation. Yours might be a MVA/IPS [dont know] while the Dell 248 is a TN. So what you vouch for is the quality of the company iun general or its service but not for that particular monitor. Hope you get what I am saying? without offence :)

There is a world of difference between the Dell 24s itself. The IPS panel is suppossed to be way ahead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom