which linux version to download and from where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
hi frnds
i wanna know which linux version i install on my pc and from where i can download it
i searched on linux official site but there are lots of os, don know which to choose :(
i ve AMD 3000+ with msi mobo , 512 ram, nvidea mx 4000, xp pro installed on it
can i use dual boot with linux
help me frnds :)

sharma_atul85

Journeyman
hello dear there r lots of distros of linux...i prefer u to choose linspire ...it looks like windows xp n also u can use it as a live cd....mreover its there in this months issue of digit....so go for it...

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
u can use dual boot.
i need to know for what purpose u will be installing linux for so that we can suggest u some distro.

OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
^^^
just wanna to see what inside linux :)
why ppl are going craxy for it and says am a linux user ...

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
ubuntu should be good for u.
u may even want to try suse for its near similarity to windows.
and if u r a digit subcriber then u can even try fedora is it is available in last month's dvd.

Last edited:
OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
ubuntu hummm i heard abt it in this forum
sachin does unbntu supports all the s.w which we run on windows?
i think its a foolish Question but i vent seen linux working :p so don know ABCD of it

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
almost everything.
but u cannot run windows setups on linux.

here are a few links which might help u in ur journey through linux

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41048
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427

for softwares
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6478

for linux softwares equlivalent to windows softwares
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30806

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
almighty said:
^^^
just wanna to see what inside linux :)
why ppl are going craxy for it and says am a linux user ...
i'd suggest linux mint for you coz if u 'just' wanna see whats inside linux out of the box then ubuntu will disappoint a windows user!

download linux mint here: *linuxmint.com/download.html

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Here is my suggestion. Get ubuntu or use their free shipping if you cannot download.

If you havent worked with Dual boot, partitions, MBR's and stuff, download Virtual Box or Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft and run ubuntu in a Virtual Computer :)

OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
ya i know to dual boot and all that
but i ve tried them with windows os like vista with xp and xp with 98 and all that
but never installed linux, i use virtual pc to test OS after slipstreaming them.
below is the list of versions which i got from infra red dude given link... which one to d.w :) , can u tell me plz
LinuxMint-2.2-Light.iso 621M
LinuxMint-3.0-Light.iso 638M
LinuxMint-2.2.iso 685M
LinuxMint-3.0-XFCE-BETA-003.iso690M
LinuxMint-3.0.iso 697M
LinuxMint-2.2-miniKDE.iso 699M
LinuxMint-2.2-KDE.iso 808M

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
out of them, only the version 3.0 is the latest. you haf a choice between 3:

linux mint 3.0 gnome based. screenshot: *linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/cassandra/2.png (choose the full gnome edition, not the light one)

linux mint 3.0 kde based (plus more packages). screenshot: *linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/bianca-2.2/kde/2/12.png (tho its not the actual ver.3.0, but that will look like this if not better)

linux mint 3.0 based on xfce desktop. screenshot: *img.osnews.com/img/4091/xfce4.png (tho this is not the actual linux mint xfce desktop, but it wont differ much from it. just to show u how xfce looks). this uses the least resources and is relatively light on system.

so, based on the views choose whichever you wanna download and install.

OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
^^^ again confused :)
sud i go with LinuxMint-3.0.iso 697M or LinuxMint-3.0-XFCE-BETA-003.iso690M
i think i better download linux 3.0

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ok, to clear things up. the linuxmint-3.0.iso, 697mb uses the gnome desktop. the screenshot of how it looks is shown above. the linuxmint-kde beta, 808mb has kde as its desktop. screenshot is again shown above. and linuxmint-3.0-xfce beta uses the xfce as its desktop. the screenshot is shown above. download any of those which you like. u haf a choice of 3 GUIs. whichever u like u may download that.

if u are getting confused then jus download the 697mb, linuxmint-3.0.iso. i jus gave the options so that u may download and install which ever u like out of the 3. linux gives you many choices. but if it confuses you then stick to the default! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom