Which Linux(make and version) will run on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachitar

Journeyman
Hi
I have a:
Pentium II 400 MHZ
64 MB SDRAM
ATI Radeon 7100 Graphics Card
20 GB HDD with 2 partitions of 10 GB each
(i know the config is pretty low end but this is what i have to use for 4 months now)
On 1 partition i have Windows 98
I wanna install Linux on the other partition and have all the fundaes on installation.Actually i have even worked with Fedora core 2 but cant install them on my comp
Only 1 problem:
Which Linux(make and version) will run on my computer?
Please give me a solution or some links(solutions preferred)
Also i would want the linux to run smoothly on my comp
Thanks

I think you should Go for
"Red Hat 6.2 "
will work the best for ur system conf
Best Of luck for The new World Of linux!!!

"linux Addicted""

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
neeraj, Redhat 6.2 is way too old to be usable. Go for Knoppix 3.4 or 3.6... and run your system in IceWM desktop environment. IceWM will make your system more responsive. I have been using it with 32 MB ram machines without problem. I think ujjwal also has some such config and is using IceWM.

For even slower hardware, go for DragonLinux... it was given on Digit (then CHIP) CD some four years back... Better try to download their recent version of dragonlinux... they have certified it to work for 386 machines with 16MB ram also...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
for fedora 3 u need atleast a 800 mhz processor and 256 mb ram at least... fc3 is a bit of bloatware according t0 me.... just a personal opinion...

i always hv loved debian based distros...

xandros, lycoris, ubuntu

i hv run ubuntu on a machine with 96 mb ram(32 mb shared with grafix card). it was a Zenith+Athlon+ Via thing....

ubuntu runs perfectly well on that config... neways 256 mb ram is recommended :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom