Which LINUX distro for programming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Well I was a happy student before our teacher dropped the bomb.SHe told us that we will be using linux for our programming from now on.Basically we will be doing C and c++.

Can you tell which distro to go for.One which is less intimidating and more like good old windows.AND it must have support for c and c++ programming.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sykora

I see right through you.
Which amazing teacher told you that? All mine still use Turbo :(

First of all, _all_ distros can be used for programming. You'll be able to program in any of them, since they use the same tools anyway. That said, most people will probably recommend Ubuntu for first-timers. I'll probably agree.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
....... fedora core and while selecting packages, choose all the compilers which u require and libraries also. u can make out by their names.
so their wont b any need of downloading stuffs from net.

praka123

left this forum longback
For the programmers,I will suggest Debian Etch.it is better.for a gui for c and c++ programming,use Anjuta(written by a indian himself)
*debian.org

OP
The_Devil_Himself

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Any more suggestions guys.The main thing is I should be able to start programming as soon as I install the distro without installing any other package or downloading anything.

I have already requested UBUNTU cd's from their site.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Linux usually comes with gcc. On windows you can use mingw, which is win32 port of gcc. But, it might be outdated.
As for linux distros. I would also suggest sabayon. It's a derivative of gentoo, so compiling is a natural job for this distro. So, you will have wide variety of compilers and libraries already installed in sabayon compared to most other distros.

And I am curious too as to which college you are in where some teacher/curriculum encouraged students to go for linux and gcc.
And, it's way easier to set up then gentoo.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Devil if you want you can request CD/DVD from The Distro Request Thread , maybe someone from delhi who may help you.

Kudos to the teacher :D

@Mehul/mods please move this thread to Open Source section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom