Which Linux book to start with ..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Hi guys

please tell me which Linux book to start with ..:confused:

I heard that Linux bible is good, but to found so many editions
its too difficult to choose. So its better to ask your expert views dear Linux users.

>>
*www.amazon.com/Linux-Bible-2007-KN...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195170090&sr=8-1
Linux Bible 2007 Edition: Boot up Ubuntu, Fedora, KNOPPIX, Debian, SUSE, and 11 Other Distributions (Bible)

*www.amazon.com/Fedora-Red-Enterpri...bs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195170090&sr=8-4
Fedora 7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Bible

(is new Fedora 8 edition coming soon)

*www.amazon.com/Red-Hat-Linux-9-Bib..._sr_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195170090&sr=8-12
Red Hat Linux 9 Bible

*www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Commands-Editors-Programming/dp/0131478230/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b
A Practical Guide to Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming

*www.amazon.com/RHCE-Certified-Engineer-Linux-RH302/dp/0072253657/ref=sip_rech_dp_10
RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux

*www.amazon.com/gp/product/15905982..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11NZ5RQMD5G04N4M8CG1
Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Second Edition (Beginning from Novice to Professional)

*www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-2nd/dp/0132354136/ref=pd_sim_b
The Official Ubuntu Book (2nd Edition)

These are just reference links, I need to buy the book in Market only,
suggest which one to buy and suggest from above or any other you think is good,

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^ all the books u have mentioned is good..

See this for huge list of free books

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64167

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can start here *tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html there are other nice guides too at TLDP.
Also, there's one thread posted by Gigacore which has some good books.
Out of your list, I'd suggest going for the first one because it covers more than one distro.
And *www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Commands-Editors-Programming/dp/0131478230/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b is surely the one to go for if you have a little experience with bare basics of linux and want to dive into CLI.

praka123

left this forum longback
best thing is to stick with the first 2-weeks with ur linux distro :p
tldp.org and google at the same time helps u solve if any problems had u faces
OK>if ur a proffessional who is in db,programming or networking,advanced books are useful :)

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I agree. It's better to explore things yourself and read the documentation provided for better understanding. It does help.

mehulved

I disagree. It depends on what you are more comfortable with and what your objectives are. So, sometimes starting with books does help too IMO.

mediator

Technomancer
Well I wud say, go straight to *ubuntuguide.org and start exercising. There u'll get fedora guides, ubuntu guides and other guides too. Read em n u'll know urself bit by bit....everything!! *www.smileyhut.com/eat_drink/beer3.gif

OP
rollcage

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Gigacore said:
^ all the books u have mentioned is good..
and *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64167
Ya all books are good but which one ya..
i hav seen that thread .. its got very useful links..
mehulved said:
Out of your list, I'd suggest going for the first one because it covers more than one distro.
And *www.amazon.com/Practical-Guide-Commands-Editors-Programming/dp/0131478230/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b is surely the one to go for if you have a little experience with bare basics of linux and want to dive into CLI.
This book that you ref is quiet good yaar, I have also read its review here - *www.amazon.com/review/R2ZA5F27137TIZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2ZA5F27137TIZ
this gives quiet a good knowege even to newbies. :p

aditya.shevade said:
^^ I agree. It's better to explore things yourself and read the documentation provided for better understanding. It does help.
going around .. and have been searching too much .. got fed up..
mediator said:
Well I wud say, go straight to *ubuntuguide.org and start exercising. There u'll get fedora guides, ubuntu guides and other guides too. Read em n u'll know urself bit by bit....everything!! *www.smileyhut.com/eat_drink/beer3.gif
I tried that a year ago .. and end up forgetting about everything .. since then just using XP .. :( ... even I have got the Solrais 10 original DVD // but never used it. When I received it I was too happy .. ;p and then got busu in other stuff.. Just that sometimes its not ur cup of tea. dont know why..

mehulved said:
mediator said:
Well I wud say, go straight to *ubuntuguide.org and start exercising. There u'll get fedora guides, ubuntu guides and other guides too. Read em n u'll know urself bit by bit....everything!!
I disagree. It depends on what you are more comfortable with and what your objectives are. So, sometimes starting with books does help too IMO.
how can anyone just read at LCD screen for long
ya its too diff to read ebooks then paper books

Yes Dear mehulved I think that my prob .. I have got so many ebooks on my PC. But never reeds then,
When I buy a Harry Pottor book dont leave it untill its complete. irony is unless I have a paper book I dont read.

So what the crux of the matter is
>I dont realise or decide which book to buy,
>or which ebook shall I get the paper printed.. or try the various guide line pdfs .. get them printed and read.
>or just buy Linux Bible.. which i was about to..
but didnt find on the famous nai sarak road in delhi/ haha :( I asked them Linux 2007 bible .. he said no.. simple Hacking for dummies - no, asked on CEH certification book again a no. ha... what the hell in nai sarak damm (nai sarak is the mecca or book shops)

too many answers
or am i siting too much on internet
and getting confused.:eek: on simple thing of learning linux.damm ..

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^^ as prakash said.. start using any distro.. and u'll know what to learn and so you will find the way to learn.. finally u can choose the book to read :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
How about this one :)
*www.amazon.com/Linux-Windows-Addicts-Program-Habitual/dp/0072130814

and here is the link for Indians
*shop.rediff.com/bookshop/buyersearch.jsp?lookfor=MILLER MICHAEL JOSEPH&search=1

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
mehulved said:

Oi... it was you who once said there is no need of book.. but again, maybe my objectives were different or your opinion has changed since.....

mehulved

Maybe then I didn't express myself properly. What I believe is - books aren't essential but they make good companions always.
Cos I personally too prefer reading from a book than reading online. But, just reading books isn't enough. It should be accompanied by practical exposure to learn better.

OP
rollcage

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
^^
Ya dude .. very true ,,:p Books are the best way to increase the knowledge.
Books along with practical exp is good. In computers they can provide the basic push or start and then you just go on exploring this isnt it.
but I still dont know which one,

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Alright... i made a search specially for u :)

Beginners: Learn Linux (Linux Reviews)

Introduction to Linux

Start here to learn about Linux

Hope these books will help u to understand the concepts... :)

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
how about sumitabha das for UNIX
get well with UNIX and then goto LINUIX !! !!
well this for command interface learning only !

that book is very famous among all 3rd Sem Computer Science Circle !

mehulved

Few of the books that seem good to me are
*www.cb-india.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10470
*www.cb-india.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9066
*www.cb-india.com/proddetail.asp?prod=7628
This one seems quite nice - *www.cb-india.com/proddetail.asp?prod=8657
You can look for more at *www.cb-india.com/products.asp?cat=770
Don't know about Delhi but these books are available at Computer Bookshop in Mumbai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom