Which is the best website hosting service in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
J

Jaxelams

Right off the assembly line
For me, profits is not really important. I definitely wouldn't mind putting the books for free download. But, that would signify my knowledge and research had no value. So I dont really mind even if the books makes a meagre 50cents of profit. As long as I get to share my ideas with the world. I want to build a website where I can post my blogs, personal videos, pics, etc and maybe just market this for freetime. Can you suggest an ideas for the same? I'm thinking on lines of websites like stevepavlina.com and stephenking.com

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
well as u new to this web site idea... for ur need best is go for a Bloging script..

when u buy a cPanel hsting... it comes with "Fantastico" which allows u to install the blog in a few clicks, u dont need to know any code of DBMS whats so ever.. u can also find usesull tutorials...

later on when u get little experiance with scripting or CMS.. u may start thinking of shifting ur site to much complicated CMSes or code ur own site... :)

Domain name and 250MB hosting for now i guess would be fine for u... btw how many ebooks u plan to host and what are the size ??

tuxfan

Technomancer
The amount of server space and bandwidth depends on the number of e-books and their sizes. But if the main thing will be downloads, then you will need lots of bandwidth.

However, you can use services like imageshack, rapidshare, youtube, etc. to host those bandwidth-hungry big files.

For normal pics and blog even a 50 MB account should be enough initially. You can always buy more space later when you need! Why pay for more space from day 1??

OP
J

Jaxelams

Thats great advice Tuxfan. Thanks a lot. Two more queries here....

1) Why waste the time installing Blog software ... when I can easily create a page for individual blogs???

2) I can abviously upgrade space later on as required, can't I? Suppose there is a scenario when I have to switch webhosts.... will there be complications in that case???

ahref

In the zone
Why waste the time installing Blog software ... when I can easily create a page for individual blogs???
Installing blog takes less than 5 minutes, and you do not have to do anything again.
can abviously upgrade space later on as required, can't I? Suppose there is a scenario when I have to switch webhosts.... will there be complications in that case???
Although changing host is little complicated specially for database driven site. Also chances are you may loose some data, while moving. In case of blogs comments which will be posted while you are moving.
You may ask for help from you new host for that. Or better read tuxfan blog he has some useful info on that.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tuxfan said:
well saurav now I have almost stopped providing free hosting :p I need empty space for my paid hosting accounts and also have to ensure that server remains as clutter free as possible.

Signature remains as it is because it may be available in really desserving cases. For example, I just offerred it to someone for his child who is sufferring from cancer :(
That is very kind & thoughtful of you...Keep up the good work mate.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Jaxelams said:
Thats great advice Tuxfan. Thanks a lot. Two more queries here....

1) Why waste the time installing Blog software ... when I can easily create a page for individual blogs???

2) I can abviously upgrade space later on as required, can't I? Suppose there is a scenario when I have to switch webhosts.... will there be complications in that case???
Installing a blog software like WP takes max 10 min. I can install it for you. But I suggest you learn it. Its really simple. You can then concentrate on contents and changing looks is as easy as selecting a theme ;)

Yes, you can always upgrade/shift later. For switching hosts, you can read my following blog posts. I still have to write some more posts to complete the series. But read these three to start with ;)
Shift website hosting - part 1 (static site)
Shift website hosting - part 2 (leftover emails)
Shift website hosting - part 3(1) (dynamic sites, CMS)

caleb said:
That is very kind & thoughtful of you...Keep up the good work mate.
:) Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jaxelams

I was just wondering about an idea which struck me. I think it should be perfectly legal but I still want your opinion about it. What if I register a domain and buy webspace of say ... 30MB. And then, I utilise the 30MB only for the main page and stuff. Isin't it quite possible for me to make 20 yahoo email id's and keep using the 15 MB per account geocities space for uploading my files (of course, I wont be able to upload big files) ? I mean .... I can possibly link from my main website to these files. Doing the math, I can get about 300MB webhosting space. And who ever told that there was a limit to the number of email ids you can have!!! It seems perfectly legal and foolproof. Plus, it saves money on webspace, making it worth the extra hassle! Forgive me, I'm just an amateur in web technology but this idea sounds too good to be true!!! (Possible problems I predict may be those of bandwidth)

thecyclone2k

In the zone
Yes, you can do that. You might having problems hosting files in free website hosting websites so, sites like rapidshare.com for file only, hosting comes handy!

tuxfan

Technomancer
I think free site providers like geocities prohibit "files hosting". Just read thru their FAQ for more details. But you can use sites like rapidshare for file hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom