Which is the best media player in Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
I've installed XMMS in my Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and found that the audio quality is not up to mark as provided by winamp in windows. Even i configured the equalizer to the winamp's "Bass & Treble" levels but nope... the quality is less.

I dont want any eye candy but i want good audio quality. Please suggest me a good media player that can play mp3s with good audio quality.

And also suggest me a good DVD player for Ubuntu.

If a single player can play both DVDs as well as audio in good quality it will be an ideal.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
mplayer for movies.... and xmms with plugins for audio....

xmms is better if u can configure it properly.... i felt its equaliser is much better then winamps....

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Audio Player: Amarok
Video Player: Totem Xine, VLC is good enough but has compatibility issue with Beryl.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Audio: Amarok because it has equalizer and better library management.
Video: MPlayer. No compatibility problem with desktop effect.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Well, here is a new media player(still in development phase) you can try out...

*www.songbirdnest.com/themes/gespaa_customized/screenthumb_smartpl.png

It has nice set of features...

1) Play Anything
MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and more. Can you teach Songbird to sing?

2) Integrated Web Search
Search the web from the context of your collection or tell Songbird to search on the currently playing track.

3) Build Custom Mixes
Drag-and-drop songs from the Library or another playlist to create your own custom mixes.

4) Cross-Platform
Runs on Mac OS X, Linux and Windows.

5) Make Smart Mixes
Criteria-based playlists that are always up-to-date with your current collection.

And many many more....

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
vish786 said:
mplayer for movies.... and xmms with plugins for audio....

xmms is better if u can configure it properly.... i felt its equaliser is much better then winamps.

You uninstalled XMMS right?? :D

Mplayer is good provided you have all the codecs. In fact, most of the media players (apart from VLC I guess) use mplayer to play media.... Isn't that so ?

vish786

"The Gentleman"
kaustav_geek said:
You uninstalled XMMS right?? :D

Mplayer is good provided you have all the codecs. In fact, most of the media players (apart from VLC I guess) use mplayer to play media.... Isn't that so ?
i uninstalled and again i installed dude :D... i uninstalled coz all of sudden stopped working when i configured the plugins :D

and also mplayer has cool skins so most of the ppl prefer it.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
vish786 said:
and also mplayer has cool skins so most of the ppl prefer it.
ROFL... Thats not reason man... People engaged in OSS prefer stability,customisation ability,performance to eye-candy....
Besides, you'll get cool skins for almost every media player... Just search.

Hence, thats not the criteria for selecting a media player.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
kaustav_geek said:
ROFL... Thats not reason man... People engaged in OSS prefer stability,customisation ability,performance to eye-candy....

i already know tat.... but finding mplayer skins on net is much easier than finding other player skins... i just gave one reason y ppl prefer it... and u know a common computer user looks the eye-candy things than lookin for features... tat is y ppl prefer linux than windows(if a user has avg knowledge abt com's);)

LEARNER_LEARNER

Fedora User
kaustav_geek said:

yaa,i agree with u.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
vish786 said:
i already know tat.... but finding mplayer skins on net is much easier than finding other player skins.
why look all over the net when you can find most of them in your repositories. It's so with mplayer and xmms. Not sure about others.

praka123

left this forum longback
I use Xine-ui and gmplayer for videos.I use Exaile(amarok like gtk2 app),rhythmbox,beep-media-player(xmms rebuilt on gtk2,so..).Totem is good.it plays almost all file types.earlier it seems buggy.now with gstreamer0.10 its good(totem-gstreamer).
Amarok is a good player.

mayanks_098

world is evil
in my roughly 4 days one-on-one with two distros(still fighting to get evrythng settled down),ubuntu
n sabayon,i found amarok gud. hvnt managed to watch a movie so far coz all d time im busy configuring one thng or d other.lol

bt one thng is 4 sure, LINUX ROCKS....its ultimate.
evry utility in windows v run aftr is already present der by default.awesome.

n hey,is der ne plugin lik v hv dfx 4 songs wch gives out of the box sound quality 4 linux distros? i mean smthng really lik dfx.hope u linux guys hv used dfx somtim on a windows machine to kno wat im talkng bout

vish786

"The Gentleman"
mayanks_098 said:
in my roughly 4 days one-on-one with two distros(still fighting to get evrythng settled down),ubuntu
n sabayon,i found amarok gud. hvnt managed to watch a movie so far coz all d time im busy configuring one thng or d other.lol

bt one thng is 4 sure, LINUX ROCKS....its ultimate.
evry utility in windows v run aftr is already present der by default.awesome.

good, keep up the spirit :) u will suceed!!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom