Which is the best LINUX distro on DIGIT DVDs and few others?

Which is the best LINUX distro?

• UBUNTU, KUBUNTU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mandrake

• Fedora Core

• Knoppix

• Debian based

• Red Hat

• Others... (I am tried writing the options)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
I thought why not conduct a poll on the best LINUX distro available.. All the options are of my knowledge and if there is a distro which you use and is not in the options, post the name and why do you think it is the best ? ?
I have not given any versions, so you can consider the latest distro as the option..
I know the poll is not fully comprehensive but is an attempt to see the most popular one..
Well, most options are of all the distros given on DIGIT DVDs till now.. So, this is not a whole world of LINUX poll..
For a complete list of distros go here:
*www.linux.org/dist/list.html

imported_root

Right off the assembly line
First of all,

There is nothing called Linux distro ! Linux is a Kernel. So what you are meaning is basicaly GNU distro running on Linux kernel.

Please correct the poll question..

Thanks

ujjwal

Padawan
Hey we have had many threads like this before, why don't you go through them :?

Anyway, here is my list of different fields, and those which come out tops in them (can't list those I haven't tried)

Ease of use - Knoppix, Fedora, PCQLinux, Vector Linux
Package management - Archlinux, Debian
Control - Slackware, Gentoo, Archlinux
Speed, efficiency and stability - Slackware, Gentoo, Archlinux, Debian
Large user base, support, mirrors etc. - Debian, Slackware

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Ease of use - Knoppix, Fedora, PCQLinux, Vector Linux
Package management - Archlinux, Debian
Control - Slackware, Gentoo, Archlinux
Speed, efficiency and stability - Slackware, Gentoo, Archlinux, Debian
Large user base, support, mirrors etc. - Debian, Slackware

Very well organized post dude !

I vote for suse it the desktop looks great and the harware support also great.It even indentified my internal modem during install itself.Though I havent connected to the net.[/code]

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
vignesh said:
I vote for suse it the desktop looks great and the harware support also great.It even indentified my internal modem during install itself.Though I havent connected to the net.
How did it recognize ur internal modem.. It did not recognize mine.. Moreover, how can I configure dial up to connect to the net ? ?

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
pradeep_chauhan said:
How can you forget Gentoo. Its the best
Gentoo ROCKS.
Sorry, dude, forgot to add it.. Anyways, its GOOD you mentioned it but sorry cannot edit the POLL Question.. Anyways, Sorry.. And My poll is not comprehensive and talks of all distros on DIGIT DVDs till now and perhaps one or two most popular one..

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
//siddhartha// said:
vignesh said:
I vote for suse it the desktop looks great and the harware support also great.It even indentified my internal modem during install itself.Though I havent connected to the net.
How did it recognize ur internal modem.. It did not recognize mine.. Moreover, how can I configure dial up to connect to the net ? ?

Actually it recognized my modem I haven`t connected yet since I later installed mandrake and I and pradeep are trying options to make the grub show option like suse,mandrake and windows

root said:
First of all,

There is nothing called Linux distro ! Linux is a Kernel. So what you are meaning is basicaly GNU distro running on Linux kernel.

Please correct the poll question..

Thanks

offcourse u r right,still it is because of kernal such a beautiful distros are possible,and all over the world they r more known as linux then gnu except debian.

ROMENDRA PAL RAYAT

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for this question. First of all I tried all linux distro came with digit DVD as well as in PCQuest and CHIP. I found that installation of SUSE and Mandarake is quite easy. Yes installation of ELX is also easy. But Fedora core is best of all. Though it is not having mp3, mpeg support, but you can get updates quite easily from freshrpm.net and from DAG Apt. As Fedora is having good support, why not to use it. Recently I updated Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.9.667 with 2.6.10.741 from PCQuest linux 2005. I also upgraded KDE 3.3 to KDE 3.4 and everything working well. You can get modem support from Linuxant.com for D-link modem witch are based upon conexant chip. To update Manderake with the latest you have to registered with mandarake. I updated Fedora with Mplayer, Xine, Kaffain, Ogle,Vlc. and all are working well. Thus I can say that by considering support available at various sources, Fedora is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom