Which is the best file compression software ? except KGB Archiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Please tell me which is the best file compression software which converts 1GB data to either 500MB or less than that.also mention how to do it with that software.Please don't tell me the KGB Archiver because it takes years to compress.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Same doubt with me too...Just say me the name of the s/w and method to compress it [i want the proper steps]..Rest i can do it myself :))

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I once compressed 100 mb files into a size less than 1mb. I had used powerarchiver and used the .7z extension with maximum compression level. It took a little bit extra time. But this 100 mb files were compressed to less than 1 mb

OP
Third Eye

Third Eye

gooby pls
Ramakrishnan said:
I once compressed 100 mb files into a size less than 1mb. I had used powerarchiver and used the .7z extension with maximum compression level. It took a little bit extra time. But this 100 mb files were compressed to less than 1 mb

i have power archiver and 7zp but i tried to compress @ maximum level but nothing changes in the size.plz tell me the way to compress with 7zip or power archiver.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
I think it depends upon what you are trying to compress. Text files can get compressed to very small sizes. Movies and pics do not, because they are already somewhat compressed due to their encodings. I'll try and find out more.

*www.maximumcompression.com/
Excellent site!! Great comparisions, sorted by various factors! Awesomenessessity!!!

Like I said, some file types are already compressed:

*computer.howstuffworks.com/question289.htm

*computer.howstuffworks.com/question408.htm

And, feature wise, I love IZArc, for windows :)
*www.izarc.org/

Last edited:

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
tech_mastermind said:
i have power archiver and 7zp but i tried to compress @ maximum level but nothing changes in the size.plz tell me the way to compress with 7zip or power archiver.

It depends on what you compress also. It is not clear what you tried to compress. If it is compressed files like mp3, video files, etc. there may not be any change in the compression level.

OP
Third Eye

Third Eye

gooby pls
led_shankar said:
I think it depends upon what you are trying to compress. Text files can get compressed to very small sizes. Movies and pics do not, because they are already somewhat compressed due to their encodings. I'll try and find out more.

*www.maximumcompression.com/
Excellent site!! Great comparisions, sorted by various factors! Awesomenessessity!!!

Like I said, some file types are already compressed:

*computer.howstuffworks.com/question289.htm

*computer.howstuffworks.com/question408.htm

And, feature wise, I love IZArc, for windows :)
*www.izarc.org/

Thanks for the links !

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Now how to decide who compresses the most [winrar,7zip,winrar,IZArc e.t.c] depending on whether its text,image,document file :)

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
led_shankar said:
@Rakeshishere: The first link in my post has data for the best program for each type of file :)

I knew that link way back but they recommend to use winRk and i have tried it seeing their tests but which 1 to finally believe (winrar,7zip,izarc or winrk or there are so many ....]:confused:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
@Rakesh.... well, I guessit depends upon your need

BTW, please note this
Q. Why didn't you include program xxxxx ?
A. I try to keep the comparison benchmarks fair and transparent by only listing one single version of a program (the one with the best compression). For that reason I don't include clones of a program (like PAQ clones WinUDA, Emilcont and KGB), 'light' versions (like Durilca Light and PPMs) and programs without an own compression format (like PowerArchiver, ZipGenius, TUGzip). If you still think I missed a program please let me know!.

from the site's summary page.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
I dont belive in watvr people saying..:rolleyes:They shud have a final word in the end that such and such s/w compresses the most and i can give u the steps to perform that compression:cool: ...If there is one and only it will be the best and u can save some hell lot of time dwnlng files and u can fit 1gb stuff in ur 700MB CD which will really save somany stuff:p

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
rakeshishere said:
If there is one and only it will be the best and u can save some hell lot of time dwnlng files and u can fit 1gb stuff in ur 700MB CD which will really save somany stuff:p

That would be nice, but the sad fact is that it does not exist :(

And I'll say it again, it also depends on what you want to have compressed.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
led_shankar said:
That would be nice, but the sad fact is that it does not exist :(

Dnt say this..It may/may not exist and the fact is none want to say the truth but give false ideas to the user

And I'll say it again, it also depends on what you want to have compressed.

I agree with u regarding this;)

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
I'd say you should go for features rather than anything else.....In case you come upon a particular situation wher you need high compression, just d/l the app ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom