Which is easiest way to run tar.gz file on Windows XP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Thanks Cool G5

Please test & give your input.

Checked the software under Windows Vista Home Premium. For the start, I think andLINUX doesn't support Windows Vista. It took a long time for the installer to begin once I executed the installation package. Eventually, I got it installed & then rebooted my PC.

andLINUX sits under the system tray & presents you with Terminal, Thunar(File Manager), Synaptic, Pulse Audio Mixer(Which doesn't seem to work at-least with windows application). I played around with some commands & most of them produced the output I expected. But since andLINUX doesn't come with any applications it failed miserably while opening any files.

Whenever I tried opening a.jpg Image file, it used to open it under Mozilla Firefox installed on my system. Whenever I tried to play a .vob or .mp3 file, it used to ask me for a suitable player but the list of applications had none.

I feel this application isn't of much use. You're better off booting off a Linux Live CD if you require to work under Linux. Will play with the app for some more time before I remove it.

OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
Thanks Gaurav

Were you able to run any tar files ? I have few ending with .py & .c

Will those files work ?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Thanks Gaurav

Were you able to run any tar files ? I have few ending with .py & .c

Will those files work ?

Na. You will need to install the requisite software's. You better not use this software. The software requires you to download all the software from web using the bundled synpatic manager which is useless. Instead one could easily install a linux OS. I wonder what were the developers thinking :shock:

OP
P

PraKs

Youngling
Sorry for late update, Been trying from 1 month

Start package is very less but then all softwares starts giving messages of installation of various packages.

Still looking for solution :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom