Which graphics card to buy?nVidia 6 series or ATi radeonX800

Status
Not open for further replies.

anidex

Broken In
So, is nVIDIA really ahead of ATI in terms of image quality? You gotta be kidding me. Anyway, here's are screenshots from Far Cry. As you can see, the 6800 renders half the trees with incorrect (without?) lighting.

(ATI)
*www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/video/farcry20b/ati_pier_sm20_bg.jpg&1=1

(nVIDIA)
*www.xbitlabs.com/misc/picture/?src=/images/video/farcry20b/nvidia_pier_sm30_bg.jpg&1=1

Plus, some 6800 GT owners will be quite shocked to find out that in CS : Source Beta, the Radeon 9600 XT (yes, 9600) almost matches the 6800 GT (and the Radeon 9800 XT beats it)! And that it at the most widely used resolution of 1024x768. And of course, let's not even talk about the dismal performance of the FX cards!

*www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_fx_half-life2/page7.asp

So, I suggest the X800 series (either Pro or XT PE). Well, it may not have shader model 3.0 support, but the X800 can do almost everything that the 6800 can feature wise and obviously better peformance wise.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
LOL ! Anidex ........stop it man .........

The GT beats the XT by huge margins at higher resolutions. And what is applicable to nvidia is also applicable to Ati in D3 performance. Lets not start this $hit all over again.

And btw crytek still has to release the patch, the first one apparently had some bugs with rendering on Nvidia cards.

Also at 1280*1024 and 4xAA and 8xAF the GT still does 80.1 fps while the xt barely manages 30 fps. Fx series everyone knows it sucked ! but this time i am returning back to nvidia.

anidex

Broken In
Far Cry has been an nVIDIA game all along, as has Doom 3. Plus, the point is that at widely accepted game resolutions like 1024x768, the XT CAN match the 6800. Only really enthusiast gamers will wanna run their games at 1280x1024, especially games like Half Life 2. It's a shame to see that a main stream card from last generation is matching nVIDIA's lastest high-end bad boy, even if it is only at 1024x768!

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Fry Cry being a Nvidia game has nothing to do with the 1.2 patch that crytek botched up man. Those pics seem to be taken from the 'crap' 1.2 patch that was released and withdrawn shortly.

Also that 9600 having the same rates as 6800Gt has to do with the fact that the Source engine is capped at 90Fps currently. And the dismal performance of 9600XT when Af and AA is enabled @ 1280 res and even 1024 res further adds credibility to it. Dont even get to the FX series cuz i have nuthin to comment on it. ;)

ganesh8

Broken In
Gainward 6800GT 256 MB *Golden Sample*

Go for the Gainward Geforce FX 6800GT 256 MB *Golden Sample* dude. It is available for Rs. 27,750 and can be overclocked very close to Geforce 6800 ULTRA level !!! The overclocking software is included by Gainward.

Gainward 6800GT even beat even beat XFX 6800GT in the Graphic cards test in September issue of IC CHIP.

G

gxsaurav

Gigabyte 6800GT = 32k

6800 nU = MSI 6800-TD128

If U are going for GT then go for Gigabyte, else for 6800 nU, go for MSI it is available for a dirt cheap price 24K, but U can hardly find it, extremely limited, but it has a fan while Gigabyte 6800 nU ha heatsink

6800 nU is my recomendition, not only it is cheap but the majority of useres here have 17" monitors, which can't go over 1024x768 for which the 6800nU willl be able to play any games at my settings of 1024X768 with 2XQAA & 2X Anis, fine with 85 Hz refresh rate, even if U go for 4X AA & 4X ANIS, U won't get any performance hit noticible at 1024X768, many people don't realize that even if they got really high card with really high frame rate with XP SP2, all the games are automatically capped at 75 fps max for DX9 & 60 FPS max for OpenGL, so no matter if U can score 100 fps in Doom3 or HL2, U will play with only 60 fps max when playing, & belive me anything over 45 fps contant is smooth to the eyes as butter

But again, when a new architecture comes, it's good to wait for the refresh, in this case the later to be released 6700 & 6900

6800 nU all the way, it is cheap then GT

G

gxsaurav

never go for a factory overclocked card, Gainward is factory overclocked

ganesh8

Broken In
gxsaurav said:

I totally disagree. If a manufacturer is confident to overclock the card and provide warranty on it, then it means the card has the best quality components and RAM and will remain stable. It is built that way.

On the other hand if you to overclock a normal card, it voids your warranty and causes the card to burn out. This is because the components are the regular components and not ment to be overclocked.

Bu the way i read somewhere that there is an option to run at normal mode or overclocked mode

Now you decide what is better. having a overclocked or overclockable card with better performance and Warranty or trying to overclock a card which can burn out and have no warranty for overclocking.

check the reviews mate. gainward 6800GT Golden sample is the only card which is clocked higher than other cards and can perform near 6800ultra levels plus remain stable. no other card can do it. it is like buying an 6800 ultra at the price of a 6800gt with slight premium.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
ganesh8 said:
gxsaurav said:
Now you decide what is better. having a overclocked or overclockable card with better performance and Warranty or trying to overclock a card which can burn out and have no warranty for overclocking

check the reviews mate. gainward 6800GT Golden sample is the only card which is clocked higher than other cards and can perform near 6800ultra levels plus remain stable. no other card can do it. it is like buying an 6800 ultra at the price of a 6800gt with slight premium.

I agree with all ur points except the ones i quoted above. nowdays most cards when they are overcloked above a certain level have a threshold at which they lock up and when u restart the clock rates are reset. ATi has the VPU recover option. Even the entry level fx5200 have this option and i have witnessed it first hand !

Gainwards not the only card that can go ultra levels XFX can and so can PNY, Ledtek etc. The BFG OC series for 6800 series is also factory overclocked although its a shame that BFG doesnt have a distri here. Plus these cards are available for less prices than the gainward. Although one thng can be said and that is these cards may or may not necessarily overclock to Ultra levels but the golden samples are manufacturer guaranteed overclockers. Good point though. :D

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
well read this review...its quite exhaustive and I am sure it will answer most of the queries u guys have :

*www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2004/r420/

enjoy!

and yes...I am back :D

OP
B

bhalchandra

Broken In
thanx from u r all valuable information
So i baught ASUS V9999 Ultra card which is Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra
As in india there is only 2 of the manufacturers available for such high end card and giving very good after sell service
1. ASUS
2. XFX

So i went for asus
I want to tell u it rocks
so i am much more satisfied from what i have

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
*graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040504/index.html

read this article....some very interesting test results....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom